Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

FWIW, My Hero 7 has one of the recomended cards (SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 64GB) and if you have any of the extra goodies turned on (ProTune, GPS, WiFi, voice, etc.) then the camera will shutdown due to heat at 4K60 after some period of time (which depends on the ambient temp).  Yes, I'm on the latest firmeare and yes I installed it manually and did a reset.

Will all the extras turned off it'll run continuously but man does it get hot!  It's actually uncomfortable to handle and there's no way that it's going to last for years running at those temps.

I basically figure that it's a 1080 cam if you want to run it continuously but will do up to 4K/60 for short clips.  Maybe I'm under-selling its capabilities, but the whole point of a GoPro for me is not to have to think too much about the camera.  Or should I be concerned that my unit isn't up to snuff?

Highlighted
Explorer

@redjump28722
You may be underestimating the HERO7 Black a bit. Yes, it does get blistering hot when filming in 4K/60, and yes, this resolution/frame rate will cause overheating, especially in warm outside temps. However, if the camera did not shut itself down, then that would be a greater cause for concern.

And, just to keep the HERO7 Black capabilities in perspective, most high end DSLR cameras that can shoot 4K/60 (and cost thousands of dollars) have limits on recording at 4K/60 from ten to thirty minutes. The HERO7 Black far outperforms that in most situations.
Highlighted
Adventurer

GoPro uses a bit rate and with protunes more, whatever the numbers.  the sdxc card write speed  for 4K  gopro said 

Hello @fishycomics

This is the only ready (available) information that we have for bit rate for the HERO7 Black camera (and other models, too). Accordingly, the maximum video bit rate is 78 Mb/s which happens when the camera is set to 4K. You can check this article for more details on camera comparison. I cannot seem to find information for the minimum bit rate though. 

Best regards, 
Marius

So using a Sandisk extreme is  what? 60mb write speed. the gopro crashes and shuts down.  Like a slow  old car getting on a super highway  causes a jam.....

Buffering is happening ,  and I think gopro does not know the difference between buffering and over heating but it senses tempetures instead and safely stops the recordign andshuts down.  One can force a   quick turn on by a 30 plus long press   ..

I may not be explaining it correctly but that is how I see it.

Man CYber bears to ya....

Highlighted
Tourist

Careful, don't mix Mbits with MBytes, 78Mbit is around 10MB/s.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same issue on a replacement GoPro Hero 7 Black for the same issue. I use 128GB UHS II Sandisk so it cant be the disk.
Highlighted
Tourist

So do you think it's worth it to try an RMA?  I've done the majority of what has been listed. (multiple supported cards / lower settings / manual update, etc)  Contacted support who wants to issue an RMA now.

Highlighted
Backpacker

hi all,

@megadive27147... yes you are right...still.

Captur.JPG

the process of writing 4K video streams on cards is not a smooth one, like copying a file.

even the overall data rate is 78Mbps, meaning less than 10MBps, the way that 4K streams are written on the card is a "burst like" one.

after capturing frame N, camera has to push the info to the card, before frame N+1 is captured.

although seems that has 1/fps time window, other processes "eat" this window.

I can think at:

- stabilisation - comparing with previous frames and produce the "stabilized" frame

- apply colours, protune settings, etc.

- other data (GPS, audio) - multiple write

- etc.....

so, that result frame data, have to be pushed as a burst, in a fraction of 1/fps.

so the SD card have to be capable accept maybe a 3-5 time the speed of resulting video, so close to 50MBps.

this is why, since 4K filming started to be something wide deployed, new standards for SD card named Video speed Vxx was introduced.

Also Application speed Ay for app running directly from microSD card on mobile phones.

see : https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/index.html

we do not want to make rocket science.

but you will need that U3 - 30MBps sustainable sequential write speed

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Backpacker

hi all,

as per overheating - hero6 and hero7.

when I use hero6 as dashboard camera, I always "sacrifice" one of the air conditioning vents and orient the cool air flow to help the camera cooling.

just me,

robert