Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

[ New ]
I love this explanation. I use a sandisk extreme plus 64 and mine still over heats. So the explanation is not correct
Tourist

[ New ]

HI guys, just to know if there is any best way to get rid of the overheating issue? My gopro hero 7 black seems overheating during recording also (with connection OFF, voice command OFF, screen brightness at 10% only).

Even it is in 1080p 60 for a half hour. The camera itself feel so hot especially the lense area. 

Am i getting a faulty devices? Anybody experiencing this? What will be the solution? A replacement device from gopro?

Appreciate for all the advices and helps. Thanks !

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine does it all the time. It’s frustrating as hell. They will ask you about everything other than say they have a problem with over heating. Mine gets so hot I’m expecting it to catch on fire at some point.
Explorer

[ New ]
Getting hot and overheating are not the same thing. The heat, especially around the lens, is pretty normal. This is especially apparent when using high resolution or frame rates for a long or when recording for long periods of time.

it's basically a computer sealed in a waterproof case. The heat has to escape somewhere.
Tourist

[ New ]
Lol well when it over heats to the point it freezes I think I’d call that over heating. Wouldn’t you?
Tourist

[ New ]
I have a photo if I could upload it of my heat temp gun and it says the GoPro is at 123 degrees. Is that safe? And I have an evo 128 card in it which the sheet says is fine. It gets hotter with the sandisk
Explorer

[ New ]
Yes, it's safe.
Nomad

[ New ]
@colgatekid

NO that is not safe. My GoPro barely reaches 90 degrees even when running 4k 60fps for 30 minutes.
Explorer

[ New ]
It's fine.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am a FIRST time gopro user so i don't know what is the temperature that is accepatable for a good user experience. I just know when we say 'overheating', it means the camera already CANNOT hand-held by a user as it is too hot. 

Once i found out it is too hot, then i stopped the recording. Then the camera FREEZE & HANG there already. I need to force restart and wait for ~10s before it back to normal.

So i am very confused if we are having the faulty camera. Did anybody already issued & got their replacement devices on hand to test out? I am very curious to know if the replacemment device is so good to get rid of all the problems that we have.

Appreciate if anyone can share their experiences to all of us.

Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15

How can you honestly say that is fine? Why do you feel the need to defend GoPro regardless of the context. GoPro could issue devices that explode after a week and you would somehow defend it. You are giving incorrect and potentially dangerous advice. That is WAY too hot and should be returned.
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

let's talk temperature in electronics.

it has the works effect in electronics performances.

increase the signal to noise ratio (as noise is related to the thermal noise also) ...the result ---> errors in deciding the 1 and 0  levels from increased noise.

so hanging, freezing, etc.

keep in mind that an electronic chip (consumer rated - not military, not aerospace)  is safe to 150 C = 302 F, or in case of CMOS technology to 300 C = 572 F

@colgatekid  - yes, I experienced the same...with SanDisk get hotter than with Samsung Evo Plus in the same conditions.

123 F sounds like my tests too.

@quickhero77554 @danielr15  -  as with some cards get hotter (Sandisk) than with others (Evo) as long as we are in this range, we are good.

and we are not in the overheating situation (strictly how overheat is defined in electronics).

after overheat, electronics are gone for good, as an irremediable and irreversible process affected the materials.

we experience normal heat.

all card I know, Sandisk Extreme xx and Samsung Evo Plus have:

Operating temperature-13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85ºC)
Storage temperature

-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)

@quickhero77554  - yours is 90F after 30min of 4k@50/60fps in a 77 F or close environment? which microSD card?

if yes you are lucky.

also, the environment temperature counts.

mine in a 25 C office (77 F)

at 4K 50fps

after 20min 52 C = 126 F

after 30min 54 C = 129 F

after 35min 54 C = 129 F - so entered in a stady situation....

measured as on picture exactly under the lens - where the red spot is (and where is the hottest).

IMG_7823.jpg

especially to @sunnyflame01381 

for that hanging/freeze...I would try to make a  clean fresh 1.61 firmware update.

I had the same before a clean manual update

just to be sure it is not generated by some hanging processes in the memory, CPU, bad software, etc.

use this link for manual update, from desktop...

https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

follow the "manual update link"

the serial number you can find it from camera menu, no need to struggle to read as they say...

Preferences > About > Camera Info > serial number

copy the zip, unzip-it

copy the 3 files in a fresh formatted microSD card under an "UPDATE" folder

(I aslo made a facory reset on camera, without making the initial setup)

introduce the microSD card in the camera.

be sure you have enough battery >50% let's say.

power it on.

wait for the upgrade to finish.

format the card again from camera menu:

Reset > Format > SD card

and you are good to go...(make the initial setup/pair with the phone, etc. if you made the factory reset before)

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

HI @robert1326, appreciate & thanks for your inputs.

However, I would like to indicate that I already tried the manual update along with SD card format as per what you mentioned quite some times ago. And i can say it helped NOTHING. 

I am having two issues currently, one is overheating, another is battery drain issue (in separate forum: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-7-Black-Battery-Issues/td-p/243543/page/63).

Just now i recorded 4K 60p for 20mins, my battery dropped from 60% to 10% (ridiculous). The whole body of the gopro was getting extremely hot. Take note that the 'hot' that we are mentioning here is unbearable. We NOT able to handheld the gopro actually. I am serious. Can you imagine that?

I personally think some of us might be getting the good gopro & they will not experience what we are facing right now. 

What is important right now is to find out who already got their replacement device and what is the outcome? Does it solve all of the problems? 

Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]

In short, I won't even bother what is the temperature reading from the temp sensor. Gopro hero 7 black with hypersmooth is a gimbal killer. It is meant for user to handheld in order to take video. 

Is this making sense if the heat generated from the gopro is too hot to by handled by hands? 

Folks, what i want to emphasize is, temperature reading is just a numerical number, the MOST important thing is user experience. If the heat from gopro is too hot to be handheld, then it is a problem in user experience, then it is a problem to end user (regardless of what the temp reading is). As simple as that.

Tourist

[ New ]
All this conversation is good. I have an update. I do have currently also a 6 and it only get to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. It does not get hotter. I have 4 different batteries and multiple cards. I talked with GoPro and the returned it. So I will let you know when I get the new one.
Tourist

[ New ]
Well that seems like GoPro might not want to sell anymore of these then lol. My 6 does not generate this kind of heat. In fact it’s kind of scary kind of heat. That you might have a fire on your hand. This guys advice is kind of reckless I think.
Tourist

[ New ]

HI @colgatekid ,

May i know who is the guy that you think is reckless?

Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]
The one saying it’s a end user problem
Tourist

[ New ]
The one saying it’s an user problem. What if that end user says ok the. And continues to use it and there is a fire? While they are holding it and the get burned. Seems kind of like a reckless comment to me.
Tourist

[ New ]

LMAO.... LOL. Seems like there is someone try to be funny out there. Are you a clown? Do you know how to read in english properly?

'then it is a problem to end user' is NOT mean to 'it’s an user problem'

Heat generated from gopro is too hot to be handled by hands. Then this is a problem to end user. As end user might get burned/injured when they are using it. This is of course a safety issue that must be addressed by gopro team la. Either from FW update or replacement device to solve all of this issue. 

This is the thing that all people are disucssing about. But suddenly, there is a clown coming in and make noise. I think the clown just trying to be funny & to make us laugh. Hahaha. LMAO.

Thanks Mr. Clown! You make all of us laugh. Good JOB! Well done!

Explorer

[ New ]

@quickhero77554 

Can you link the article of a GoPro camera exploding?  You say it could happen.  Surely with so many devices sold, there must be a few of these articles by now.

If anyone is having issues with their camera that changing to another recommended SD card and performing a manual update doesn't resolve, contact the GoPro Support Team.  I understand that some people want to play engineer (and some actually are), but this discussion is going nowhere.  GoPro cameras do get hot.  140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 Celcius) is about the max a processor should be operated at.  The camera is going to get hot.  Unlike computers, there is no fan and no open venting.  Primarily the heat will escape around the lens.  The lens will get very hot because the material conducts heat.  If your camera is freezing or shutting down because of overheating in a cool and well ventilated environment, then there may be an issue.  Contact GoPro Customer Support.  If they deem an exchange is necessary, they will replace your camera with a new (albeit tested) camera.  It will come in a brown cardboard box.  They aren't going to send you a sealed marketing box that has a battery, two mounts, USB-C cable, buckle and mounting screw.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15

I said IF something like that happened you would defend GoPro despite it being an obviously terrible situation.

Tourist

[ New ]
It’s not unheard of.

https://youtu.be/dykP8imyEuc
Explorer

[ New ]
@robert1326
I'm done with SanDisk cards, again. If anyone knows my post from HERO2 to HERO5 I experienced nothing but issues with their cards and strongly urged people to choose Samsung Pro or Lexar 633X (1080p cameras) and Lexar 1000X (2.7K and 4K cameras). The message boards were full of people having issues with their cards, but still they were promoted. Turns out, a board member for SanDisk also sat on the board for GoPro.

When the HERO6 Black came out, SanDisk released the v30 version of the Extreme model cards. I tried it and it worked great. I bought a few more. Of the handful of SanDisk Extreme v30 cards I own, one of them consistently causes my HERO7 Black to freeze and have excessive battery drain. I haven't checked the heating with it, because I no longer use that one card.

Of my other brand cards, Samsung Pro, Samsung Pro Plus and Samsung Evo Select, I have not experienced any issues. I record 4-5 times per week ranging from a half hour to an hour of total footage each time. Sometimes more, but that about the average.

Some people want to cast aside experience and come to their own conclusions. I can tell you, from extensive experience with GoPro cameras beginning with the original HERO HD in 2010, manual updates do resolve some problems as well as using a different card. Sometimes two identical cards can give very different results.

However, again I'll say, if you have an issue not resolved by manually updating our s switching to a new card, contact the GoPro Support Team. Only they can assist you further.

Be very wary of people who only post negative comments about the cameras and GoPro in general. Unfortunately, as a publicly traded company, there are many people betting on the GoPro stock to fall even further In fact, there are over 31 million short positions on their stock right now. With fourth quarter financial results coming out soon, there is an increased effort to create consumer doubt in GoPro. People are heavily invested in GoPro NOT succeeding. If GoPro does well, they will lose lots of money. Don't be a sucker for their lies, no matter how crafty and seemingly helpful they might appear.

Millions of GoPro cameras have been sold over many years and overwhelming GoPro cameras are known for durability and dependability. This isn't some world wide conspiracy. It's a fact. Are there sometimes manufacturer issues? Sure, but GoPro is also known for its excellent customer service and they will assist you. In fact, Newsweek just named GoPro best in their category for Customer Service. Start up a chat or give them a call. They will be happy to help you out.
Explorer

[ New ]
@colgatekid
That video proves nothing. How was the camera powered? What cable was used? What camera specifically was it? Was it an OEM battery? Did the car have electrical issues? Was the camera recording? If yes, why? The car was unmanned and locked. Per the video description, the owner only noticed because the car alarm went off.

Pretty much any action camera gets referred to as a "GoPro", much like how people used to refer to all copiers as Xerox.
Explorer

[ New ]
if I'm recording for a prolonged. If time with my hero 5 session it gets too hot to touch and is almost scalding around the lens. I've been using it pretty extensively for the past 3 years. No issues. Reckless?
Tourist

[ New ]
Everything you say in these strings is what you believe. How do you measure the heat on the camera. The video shows it caught on fire. But you are telling each and everyone of us that have an issue that we are stupid and wrong. I have a 6 that the cards and batteries don’t over heat. I had a seven as of yesterday that got so hot that I could not handle it and was actually pretty worried it was going to catch fire in my car as I was driving away from the event. I have a bunch of experience with electronics catching fire since I fly rc heli and quad race. I have a thermal gun that will give me accurate temps. If you think 140 is acceptable the. Please boil some water to 140 and stick your hand in it. I’m sure you won’t do that because this would burn you. Even at 100 degrees that’s too hot. They tell people to not even walk their dogs on pay emend when it’s 100 out. Why? Cause it’s too hot. As I said. GoPro has me return it and I will update with the new camera when I get it as to the heat it puts off. As of right now I’m back to using 6 that does not overheat and does not freeze halfway thru my recordings.
Tourist

[ New ]
The 5 is also another one that had reported heat issues.
Explorer

[ New ]
I never called anyone stupid. However, those who complain but don't contact the GoPro support team, aren't exactly making the smartest decision.when I said 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I'm talking about the processor. If you don't think computer processors get that hot, you are sadly mistaken.
Explorer

[ New ]
Turn your computer on and do some video editing and then reach in and grab the processor with your hand, and then tell me how that feels. 😂🤣😁
Tourist

[ New ]
Ya cause those are called hand held devices. Not even relevant.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @danielr15 ,

Appreciate your inputs. 

So that mean change to Samsung SD card might change the overheating & battery drain issue? You experienced this before? If yes, i might consider to try it out.

Too bad i purchased sandisk. T.T

Explorer

[ New ]
I would try a Samsung Evo Plus (not +), Evo Select, or Samsung Pro/Pro Plus. You can get a Samsung Evo Select 32GB-64GB pretty cheap on Amazon, so I think it's worth checking out.
Explorer

[ New ]
@colgatekid
Completely relevant. Your computer and the camera both have processors. Processors get hot. The only difference is your computer has vents, a fan, and a heat sink to dissipate the heat. The camera on the other hand, has a processor, RAM, WiFi, gyro, GPS, LCD display and a sensor generating heat inside a sealed waterproof housing.

To use the silly boiling water analogy, boil water and put it in a coffee cup. The cup will get very hot. Perhaps even too hot to hold. You complain that the cup is too hot. It's explained to you that it's because there is boiling water inside. For some reason, you now suggest that person put their hand on the water? 😂🤣😁😆
Explorer

[ New ]
@quickhero77554
You've already wrongly predicted who I am in past juvenile attacks against me.

When I've had issues with GoPro products I've announced them. In fact, I recently posted issues I was having with the GoPro mobile app. I know you want to try and convince everyone that I am just a blind GoPro fanboy who thinks they can do no wrong, but I have plenty of post that prove you wrong.

You are the one who offers no solutions or help. Other than jumping on every negative post that you can find to fan the flames, you accomplish nothing.

If a user has issues with their camera, there are only a few options that we can give in this forum. Sometimes they work. Many people have reported that manually updating and/or switching SD cards have resolved their issues. When they don't, then they need to contact the GoPro Support Team. Continuing to bitch about it here does nothing. Contacting the Support Team notifies GoPro of the issue. Leaving feedback on the feedback form notifies GoPro. Posting here, sometimes, but not always, let's a GoPro moderator know.
Backpacker

[ New ]

to have a complete picture of the differences:

with Samsung Evo plus 256GB

in a 25 C office (77 F)

at 4K 50fps

after 20min 52 C = 126 F

after 30min 54 C = 129 F

after 35min 54 C = 129 F - so entered in a stady situation....

with SanDisk Extreme 128GB (this is the one I use in hero 6)

in a 25 C office (77 F)

at 4K 50fps

after 15min 56 C = 133 F

after 20min 57 C = 134 F

after 28min 60 C = 140 F  - I stopped!!! my camera started to smell as hot plastic!

jsut me,

robert

Backpacker

[ New ]

@colgatekid 

I do have some comments on the youtube post, as well as @danielr15 

- what was the temperature in the car.

- was the camera in use?

- model

- battery type (genuine GoPro?)

- etc

I know the heating issue.

hero 6 is worst, freezes many times when used as a dashboard.

therefore, in the car, h6 or h7 I always sacrifice an air conditioning vent for my camera.

and another one for iPhone that usually runs Waze.

even in winter, I direct cold air flow to both.

we talk here about GoPro that get hot... but all devices have the same issue.

it is the same with Samsung S8+ - which I cannot keep charged when runs Waze, and get extremely hot.

iPhone X is better, I can keep it charged, get hot, but lower the luminosity of the screen as a protection to high temperature.

the same happens outside, in hot sun.

as per "user experience".

my GoPro's are usually in some kind of handler, I do not touch the camera.

I'm not affected by heating.

I know the bad heating can bring, I try to compensate this mounting in a vented air flow, on my MTB or on my backpack was never an issue.

as per GoPro defender position - some stated some of us are defending GoPro despite the obvious issues.

we all "feel" the product in our way.

some are pleased and try to compensate for the flaws in design and in behaviours.

some are not...

nobody here is paid by GoPro or sponsored by GoPro.

we are just a Brotherhood of GoPro Smiley LOL a bunch of GoPro users that want to share experience, learn and help others.

just me,

robert

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 

Everytime you post one of these childish responses it makes me laugh, you will do whatever you can to make someone who challenges you look like the bad guy. 

I don't offer any help? I beg to differ. When I offer advice it's actually useful advice and has helped many people, When you offer advice it is useless and never helps. If we can't say anything more than "Change you SD card", or "Do a manual update", what is the point of this forum? Why not just have a website with some text saying just that? I believe in actually offering decent advice that can help people.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 

I would love to see how many of your 9108 (get a life by the way) are actually useful posts. I would predict 8000 are "Change your SD card", and the other 1108 are insults to other members.

Tourist

[ New ]
Just a troll Daniel. GoPro acknowledges the problem. They are sending me a new one. You’re advise is that we need to do other things. I do the same things with my six and there is not problem. As I’ve stated I have multiple batteries. I have done manual updates I have multiple as cards and the same result. This result does not happen with my six. Why you decided to post about stocks os beyond me and just childish. I did laugh at that little rant lol.
Tourist

[ New ]
And with the computer comment. Is it advertised as something that is hand held. Does it smell like burning plastic when it’s hot? Are you meant to touch the processor? No one ever said that it was not auppose to get hot. And these should get warm but not 140 degrees warm.
Nomad

[ New ]

@colgatekid 

Well said!

I personally agree that 140 is too hot to hold, it seems ridiculous especially as mine does NOT get that hot. If it's on warrenty then why wouldn't you send it back. You should recieve one back that works at least without burning your hand?

People like @danielr15 unfortunately will do what they can to make GoPro seem like the good guy everytime. This is why I said even if something crazy happened, lets say Daniel's GoPro spntaniously melted into a goop in his hand, he would still somehow say something like "This could happen to any electronic, guess I'll change my SD card and see what happens. Thanks GoPro for being my absolute favorite!".

Nomad

[ New ]

@sunnyflame01381 

Just read this advice about Sandisk cards. Where has this come from other than 1 user (who consistently talks crap).

I used a Sandisk Extreme 64GB for Hero5, and a Sandisk Extreme Plus 128GB for the Hero6 and 7. I have NEVER had any issues with overheating.

for the last time... CHANGING YOUR SD CARD IS NOT A SOLUTION THAT FIXES EVERY PROBLEM.

PLEASE don't waste your money buying a Samsung card. The issue is the GoPro product, not your SD card choice.

Backpacker

[ New ]

GUYS!....I found the perfect solution for preventing overheating!!!!!

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

https://youtu.be/_LyPc5hKVgQ

chill-out guys! this post started to be a little bit hot!  Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley Embarassed

filmed with gopro hero7 black
Tourist

[ New ]
Ha I like it. Ya it’s a little hot lol
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

I do not charge my battery in the cameras.

I use the dual charger.

from the time I bought the hero5, I did not like the high-temperature camera reach during charging.

as I made the manual upgrade to 1.70 and all my batteries where empty, I put the cable in the camera to be sure the software upgrade is not affected by the low battery.

after the upgrade, I have to move my attention to other staff.

camera remained off, cable in, LED on, charging.

and the camera get hot when charging, as much as hot as the today tests!!!!

let's accept that "end user approach" - 

I just want to look at this challenge from another perspective - camera gets hot not only filming 4K60fps in 20min...the camera gets hot when charging also!

my question is:

- what has the biggest contribution in generating the heat? 

---- the battery consumption, that makes the battery itself to heat. - I tend to say this is the main temperature contributor, as when charging is the same process in reverse like discharging

---- or the electronics...

my tests showed a clear difference between SanDisk and Evo card in heating.

making the power budget means the power necessary when SanDisk is higher - > more consumption, more heat

when charging and camera off it is not about the microSD card used.

it is about the battery that charges.

my Amperex battery gets fat because of the heat, I never used in h7, because I cannot fit in.

and for sure with Amperex (the one that came with h6).

I think looking at the battery itself that generates heat when charged and discharged (the highest current is when 4K60fps) is worth a try!

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

Any folks done upgrading to V1.7?

Do share us a post & the experience of it. I am working right now & tonight I will give it a try to install the update. Hope gopro is REALLY providing something that will SOLVE & WORK for us. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

why do you ask here this?...do you think will solve the heat?

yes I did...in the previous post minutes ago I said I've just made the upgrade to 1.70.

I made it, as I'm making every upgrade since h5, manually, with factory reset, SD card formated in laptop, etc.

to me this is the way.

I saw some a mocking this manual upgrade, trust me, makes the difference.

and also Samsung Evo works better than Sandisk Extreme - could be the production batch differences....

there are already post about 1.70

will be hard to test the stab at sub freezing 

as per the general bug fiixing...we will see...

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

Of course i am asking here to gather more feedback/info/inputs. Gopro team also suggested we update & test out in order to provide feedback. Anything wrong with this?

I am not from gopro support team, of course i don't know what exactly the changes in the FW. I just hope it can clear all my issues (battery drain + overheating). As simple as that.

Explorer

[ New ]
I don't know how it happened, but my IGNORE @quickhero77554 got turned off. Luckily I found it and have been able to mute his juvenile attacks and rants.