Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

It’s not unheard of.

https://youtu.be/dykP8imyEuc
Highlighted
Explorer

@robert1326
I'm done with SanDisk cards, again. If anyone knows my post from HERO2 to HERO5 I experienced nothing but issues with their cards and strongly urged people to choose Samsung Pro or Lexar 633X (1080p cameras) and Lexar 1000X (2.7K and 4K cameras). The message boards were full of people having issues with their cards, but still they were promoted. Turns out, a board member for SanDisk also sat on the board for GoPro.

When the HERO6 Black came out, SanDisk released the v30 version of the Extreme model cards. I tried it and it worked great. I bought a few more. Of the handful of SanDisk Extreme v30 cards I own, one of them consistently causes my HERO7 Black to freeze and have excessive battery drain. I haven't checked the heating with it, because I no longer use that one card.

Of my other brand cards, Samsung Pro, Samsung Pro Plus and Samsung Evo Select, I have not experienced any issues. I record 4-5 times per week ranging from a half hour to an hour of total footage each time. Sometimes more, but that about the average.

Some people want to cast aside experience and come to their own conclusions. I can tell you, from extensive experience with GoPro cameras beginning with the original HERO HD in 2010, manual updates do resolve some problems as well as using a different card. Sometimes two identical cards can give very different results.

However, again I'll say, if you have an issue not resolved by manually updating our s switching to a new card, contact the GoPro Support Team. Only they can assist you further.

Be very wary of people who only post negative comments about the cameras and GoPro in general. Unfortunately, as a publicly traded company, there are many people betting on the GoPro stock to fall even further In fact, there are over 31 million short positions on their stock right now. With fourth quarter financial results coming out soon, there is an increased effort to create consumer doubt in GoPro. People are heavily invested in GoPro NOT succeeding. If GoPro does well, they will lose lots of money. Don't be a sucker for their lies, no matter how crafty and seemingly helpful they might appear.

Millions of GoPro cameras have been sold over many years and overwhelming GoPro cameras are known for durability and dependability. This isn't some world wide conspiracy. It's a fact. Are there sometimes manufacturer issues? Sure, but GoPro is also known for its excellent customer service and they will assist you. In fact, Newsweek just named GoPro best in their category for Customer Service. Start up a chat or give them a call. They will be happy to help you out.
Highlighted
Explorer

@colgatekid
That video proves nothing. How was the camera powered? What cable was used? What camera specifically was it? Was it an OEM battery? Did the car have electrical issues? Was the camera recording? If yes, why? The car was unmanned and locked. Per the video description, the owner only noticed because the car alarm went off.

Pretty much any action camera gets referred to as a "GoPro", much like how people used to refer to all copiers as Xerox.
Highlighted
Explorer

if I'm recording for a prolonged. If time with my hero 5 session it gets too hot to touch and is almost scalding around the lens. I've been using it pretty extensively for the past 3 years. No issues. Reckless?
Highlighted
Tourist

Everything you say in these strings is what you believe. How do you measure the heat on the camera. The video shows it caught on fire. But you are telling each and everyone of us that have an issue that we are stupid and wrong. I have a 6 that the cards and batteries don’t over heat. I had a seven as of yesterday that got so hot that I could not handle it and was actually pretty worried it was going to catch fire in my car as I was driving away from the event. I have a bunch of experience with electronics catching fire since I fly rc heli and quad race. I have a thermal gun that will give me accurate temps. If you think 140 is acceptable the. Please boil some water to 140 and stick your hand in it. I’m sure you won’t do that because this would burn you. Even at 100 degrees that’s too hot. They tell people to not even walk their dogs on pay emend when it’s 100 out. Why? Cause it’s too hot. As I said. GoPro has me return it and I will update with the new camera when I get it as to the heat it puts off. As of right now I’m back to using 6 that does not overheat and does not freeze halfway thru my recordings.
Highlighted
Tourist

The 5 is also another one that had reported heat issues.
Highlighted
Explorer

I never called anyone stupid. However, those who complain but don't contact the GoPro support team, aren't exactly making the smartest decision.when I said 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I'm talking about the processor. If you don't think computer processors get that hot, you are sadly mistaken.
Highlighted
Explorer

Turn your computer on and do some video editing and then reach in and grab the processor with your hand, and then tell me how that feels. 😂🤣😁