Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

What he said
Highlighted
Tourist

The SD card issue is mostly a lie (the heat issue is caused by the main chip not being effecient enough), but it's reasonable to expect there to be a delay when the camera powers on. Smartphones respond quickly because they're already on. The screen is just off. You can put the GoPro in a similar mode by pressing the button on the side. Then you can press the button on the top to start recording and it'll be more or less instant. I do this if I know i'll be using my GoPro. Of course the battery won't last very long while the GoPro is in this mode, but neither would a smartphone with a comparable battery. You can probably extend the battery life a bit in this standby mode by turning off wireless connections and other things like that.

Highlighted
Tourist

@adeptwater21433 the problem is the standby mode drains the battery way faster than a smartphone on a similar mode. Last night I left my GoPro on my wallet almost fully charged. This morning its charge was fully depleted. Also, the battery needs more than the "default" 5V/1A to charge, so you can use the camera while charging on, e.g., a laptop. On my car I have a 5V/2.5A charger, so it can film and charge simultaneously, but any modern smartphone could do the same with around 5V/1A, although it would take longer to fully charge or perhaps not charge at all, but wouldn't lose charge. 

In short, I agree that smartphones take longer to boot, but their battery charges can last a week or more in airplane mode with wi-fi turned off, which is not the case with a GoPro, which lasts less than a day with the most economic available standby mode.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Well, the problem is it's main chip is basically a smartphone chip but not as effecient as some of the newer ones and the battery is a lot smaller... so it's kind of normal it won't last as long. If you leave it all nignt in standby mode, it will power off. Even in "off" mode the bluetooth is on (by default, iirc), so it will eventually drain. I make a habit of plugging mine in regularly as I would with a smartphone.

As far as any modern smartphone recording without draining at 5v/1a? I highly doubt that, but there might be a few very effecent phones capable of that. It might not report losing charge, but it would likely drain nonetheless.

Likewise, apart from maybe some Apple devices, it's unlikely that any smartphone is going to last more than a week on standby, even in airplane mode. Apple's makes it's own silicon. GoPro does not. The overheating issue could be solved if they did, but as I noted earlier in the thread, it's very expensive.

As time goes on, processses will improve, GoPro will put a better SOC in their cameras, and the overheating and battery issues will largely dissappear (at 4k60). At that point you can expect the GoPro to overheat at it's then maximum resolution of (likely) 8k. At no point will they add an *note on the box stating that recording time at maximum quality is dependent on thermal constraints, but that would be honest and the marketing department can't have that.

Highlighted
Tourist

Well, the problem is it's main chip is basically a smartphone chip but not as effecient as some of the newer ones and the battery is a lot smaller... so it's kind of normal it won't last as long. If you leave it all nignt in standby mode, it will power off. Even in "off" mode the bluetooth is on (by default, iirc), so it will eventually drain. I make a habit of plugging mine in regularly as I would with a smartphone.

As far as any modern smartphone recording without draining at 5v/1a? I highly doubt that, but there might be a few very effecent phones capable of that. It might not report losing charge, but it would likely drain nonetheless.

Likewise, apart from maybe some Apple devices, it's unlikely that any smartphone is going to last more than a week on standby, even in airplane mode. Apple's makes it's own silicon. GoPro does not. The overheating issue could be solved if they did, but as I noted earlier in the thread, it's very expensive.

As time goes on, processses will improve, GoPro will put a better SOC in their cameras, and the overheating and battery issues will largely dissappear (at 4k60). At that point you can expect the GoPro to overheat at it's then maximum resolution of (likely) 8k. At no point will they add an *note on the box stating that recording time at maximum quality is dependent on thermal constraints, but that would be honest and the marketing department can't have that.

Highlighted
Tourist

****SOLUTION****
After having overheating issues every since purchasing my Hero 7 Black I have finally found the solution.

Just a quick explanation of my issue.  I never had any issues recording at 4K 60FPS on battery for long periods.  I only had the issue when I needed to record for longer than what the battery would last and I had the charging cable connected.  At best I would get an hour out of it before it shut down due to overheating.

I had searched the forums with no results and had GoPro replace the cameras with no results.  Then the Hero 8 came out and it will not allow you to use the camera while charging.  You have to take the battery out.

It suddenly hit me.  If this is the case with the Hero 8 then could this be the case with the Hero 7.  So testing began and success.  The camera ran for 7H:28 Min which was when the SD Card was full.  Tested again today and Success.

Problem Solved!  Hope this helps others out.

Highlighted
Tourist

Not true I still have massive over heat problems on an external battery at 4k 60fps
Highlighted
Hiker

So, in frustration, I've purchased an osmo action.  Took it out today, connected an external battery, mounted it in the sun, started recording at 4k/60fps, and it worked like a champ for nearly 2 hours of footage.

No overheating.

No problem connecting to an external battery.

No lost footage.

I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the gopro line has (GPS, etc), but as a working camera, that is reliable, and can perform at its peak resolution and frame rate without silently dying halfway through an important shoot...well, I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a lower feature camera, that is 100% reliable, than something that works brilliantly for random 15 minute increments.