Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

[ New ]

Well the camera gets warm but I personally have had no issues over the week I have had it and temps have been in the 30+ degreec C here recordeded a 4k 60fps timewarp for 3/4 of an hour without issue brought 2 sd cards Samsung Evo Plus 64 Gig and a 128 Gig of same brand and type

Cheers,Brent

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @sunnyflame01381 

I meant why in this post if there are already 1.70 posts started, were people reports results.

I get you point, if something change with overheating.

If it is quiet today in da office, I might run a new test in 1.70 to see if diffeneces from 1.61

@brentb57153 I'm with you in the same page here...

Even mine reach 129 F (54C), I have never had  problems as freezing, not responding.

just me,

robert

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

same results.

in 1.61

with Samsung Evo plus 256GB

in a 25 C office (77 F)

at 4K 50fps

after 20min 52 C = 126 F

after 30min 54 C = 129 F

after 35min 54 C = 129 F - so entered in a stady situation....

in the same 25 C office (77 F)

firmware 1.70CelsiusFahrenheit
5min38100.4
10min41105.8
15min49120.2
20min52125.6
25min52125.6
30min54129.2
35min54129.2

I took the battery out as soon as I stopped the test.

the battery is also 54C (129F) as the front of the camera.

I said in the previous post that I suspect also the battery discharge is producing a high amount of heat when the consumption is high.

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]
Does anyone else wish Danielr15 and quickhero77554 would just get a room?
Sightseer

[ New ]
I’m having this issue with my new hero 7 and I’m using an SD card from the list. I have used it as a dash cam for weeks, long before my problem started. It really started after the last update.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jamiek5410,

Sorry to know that. 

Try to reset the camera and update the camera again. 

Regards,

-Jay

Sightseer

[ New ]
Should I do a factory reset?
Explorer

[ New ]
Never hurts to do a factory reset.

Best steps are this:
1) Using your computer and a USB/SD adapter, do a full (not quick) format of your SD card
2) Download and install a Manual update for the camera
3) Perform a factory reset

If you continue to have issues, repeat with a different SD card (preferably from the list and 64GB).
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi sorry,I do not agree with this it infers you have not updated your camera correctly and also implies your SD card is not compatible or faulty the camera runs hot agreed but unless it crashes while hot  there is no issue unless it catches on fire or burns you whilst using it

I have recorded for an hour at a time in the 35 C + degree heat with mine yes it gets hot but that is expected

just my 2 cents worth

Sightseer

[ New ]
I’m currently using one the preferred SD cards. I’ll try a factory reset and see what it does.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a GoPro 7 Silver with a SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS 3 / V30) A2 128GB SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA, which is on the compatible list.  I am new to GoPro and over the last week I have been trying different settings.  Last night I decided to record my childs basketball game in 4K/30 for for about 90 minutes including warmup.  After the game we went home and saw that my footage was about 20 minutes short.  I investegated a little bit and saw that there was a message on the screen saying something like there was a heat issue and the 4K recording has been paused.  The gym was probably 65-70F.

1. Is there a heat sink case available?

2. Will leaving the SD card door open help with the heat

3. Will powering the GoPro with an external battery pack help with the heat since the internal battery (built in) wont be discharging?

4. Should I disconnect the app from the GoPro after the recording has started? (I dont watch the video from my phone while recording)

Ideally 90-120 minutes record time would be preferable.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

I haven't seen a case specifically designed to work as a heat sink.  I have an aluminum one that I use from time to time and while it does disipate heat well, it doens't make good enough contact with the camera to act as a true sink.

You should be able to get 4K30 to work if you do pretty much everything you suggest.  You'll likely need external power to get the camera to run that long anyway, so take the internal battery clean out and leave the door open or off.   Turn off everything else.  No WiFi.  No GPS.  No stabilization (you don't want to hold the camera for 90 min anyway).  No ProTune.  These things all add processing demand, which makes the CPU generate more heat.

I'd bet $$$ though that if you record at 2.7K you won't be able to tell the difference in the image.  What you lose in resolution is largely offset by getting less noise from a much cooler running sensor.  You might be able to go to 60fps at the lower resolution too.  For fast moving stuff like sports, more frames are generally more useful than more pixels.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried several different configurations, external battery, open door, no GPS.  The thing that made the difference was turning off the wifi.  The others made a negligible difference.  Recording stopped at 1:40 shortly after I turned on the display to see the progress and my IR thermometer read 116F at the front of the GoPro.  My biggest reason for wanting to record in 4K is so that I can zoom in using Adobe Premier.  At least thats the idea anyway.

Tourist

[ New ]

If the Samsung Evo + is not usable, but the Smasung Evo "plus" is, this should be made "absolutely clear" on the GoPro advisoty site!

I have just found this clarrification on this site discussion forum, so after wasting $125 ... I am not happy! 

Explorer

[ New ]
@fireymesa71273
It pretty clearly reads, "Samsung EVO Plus". If you're upset about the confusion, blame Samsung. If anything, Samsung is the one who should be making the distinction between their two cards "absolutely clear".

Samsung hasn't manufactured the Evo + for a long time, so if someone sold you a EVO+ for $125, you should also be a little miffed at them as well.

However, this has nothing to do with GoPro. Not only do they list the name of the card, they also give the model number (MB-MC256GA/AM and MB-MC128GA/AM). So finally, take a little responsibility for this yourself. You are the one who didn't verify the model number.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Samsung was on the List years ago, gopro took it off the list on the Hero 4 why.    they did not want to  continue their agreement,  so gopro took it off.   the two cards I have no issues all the cards except the Ultra. WOrk perfectly so why the issue.?

sd.png

Tourist

[ New ]
Then why is mine doing the same thing but I'm using a SanDisk Extreme® 64GB microSDXC™ (that your website recommends) happens both in the case or no case after 20 minutes with the unit sitting in the shade. It is not even a month old (bought brand new  go pro hero7 black and memory card)  outside temps 80 °F  Precipitation: 0% Humidity: 31% Wind: 11 mph 
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jt35

Sorry for any troubles caused.

See if re-flashing the software will help resolve the freezing issue/

Please refer to https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

OK So - Ive read pretty much almost all on this thread and overheating is still an issue for me.

Some background - 

I use this camera largely fo filming fastpitch softball games for my daughters highlight reels to send to recruiters.   Have missed some real web gems as a result of camera shutdown these last last 3 tournaments as temps are climbing here....

I am a new user, Hero 7 Black is my first camera

Camera is shooting through a chain link fence so its in the sun.

I like in SoFL ( Its HOT ) Even now in April mid day tems are high 80/low 90....This will shift to almost everyday being 90 shortly

1 - Ive reflashed the samera, software is up to date.

2 - Im using 2 cards mainly - 1 Scandisk Extreme 128 G v30 A2  and 2 - Scandisk extreme pro 400G V30 A2. ( Bigger chip lets me go all weekend w out a chip dump....128 gives me 3 games usually i im careful w record time )    All chips have been reformatted after media dowloads at home in prep for next use....no help w overheat

3 - Settings - I HAVE been trying to record in 4K 30 ( Was OK for evening games, Daytime it is now failing )   and tried last weekend in 4K 60..( TOTAL DISASTER )

I have used my Samsung Note to record in 4 K w ZERO ISSUES so I KNOW its possible to do so in this heat.  I bought the go pro because Im paranoid my $1000 phone will take a hard shot to the fence from a foul ball whereas the go pro is supposed to be tougher....

So - from the more experienced users, what are the best setting to maximize file quality and minimize heat.  I am at a loss, getting frustrated and dont wish to return this camera.

PLS help.

I DO try to use bluetooth to link my camera to an older Samsung note I have laying around so I can use the yellow highlight flag ( Reviewing 3 games saturday and up to 4 if we go deep on sunday takes too much time w out highlight flagging....

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@greencliff13600 - It does sound like your camera is probably hitting the max temp of 125 F. Shooting in 4K is going to generate some heat, and at 60fps you'll get even more heat coming from the camera because HEVC will be on at that setting. Add in that the camera is in direct sunlight and the temps are going to get even higher.

There are a couple of things you can try. The first is to reduce the resolution and frame rates. This will reduce the amount of power the camera needs, which will reduce heat. That may not be an option though since you're creating recruiting videos and will want to keep the quality high. In these cases, you will want to see if you can do anything to create some shade for the camera so it's not getting that direct solar heat. Also, make sure to put the camera in a place where it gets some ventilation so the heat can dissipate. You can also cool off the GoPro. For example, as long as all of the doors are closed on the camera (ie, you're not providing external power), you can use water on the camera between innings to help cool it down.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Explorer

[ New ]
Jeff has given good options that you should try.

Having the camera connected over WiFi is increasing the heat significantly. If you don't need to record the entire game, and only need shots when your daughter is batting, the "best" solution is to only record during the times when she is batting.

The camera should be able to reconnect to the app after being shut down, so turning the camera off via the app when you don't need it recording is your best option. If distance is an issue, it if you want faster response times (connecting and starting the recording), using a Smart Remote is the best option. Not only does the Smart Remote have a greater transmission distance, connecting and starting a recording is much faster.

There are many advantages to selectively recording and/or using the Smart Remote. First being the reduction of heat generated by the camera (although it's still best to follow some of Jeff's suggestions to keep the sun from heating the camera as well). Second, while it might work, the camera is not rated for use with a card over 256 GB of storage. Selectively recording can reduce your need for such a large card. Third, the camera will not get as hot when connected to the Remote vs your phone and the mobile app. The connection will still generate heat, but I think that because the connection is different and/or because the camera doesn't have to transmit a live view, I've noticed that with the remote the heat generated is much less.

Lastly, the Smart Remote allows for tagging highlights. So, even if you decide to keep recording in the same manner, using the Smart Remote will give you the same options (minus having live preview), but with less heat generated.

Higher resolutions and higher frame rates are more taxing on the sensor and processor in the camera. Reduce these if you can. Always use low frame rates in low light, so keep in mind that 24fps will give you slightly better results than 30fps for her night games.

If you don't need features like GPS, Voice commands, and Quick Capture, turn these off. Also, go into the display settings and turn the LCD brightness down as low as you can and make sure the screen saver is set to 1 minute.
Explorer

[ New ]
Oh, and I forgot to mention. Since the camera is mounted to the fence, you can probably reduce some processing heat by turning off stabilization. I generally notice the backstop getting some vibration when recording my Son's baseball games when mounted in the same manner, so I keep it on to reduce shake, but your situation may be different.

Also, if you want to record video of other players or when your daughter is fielding, using the Smart Remote to turn the camera off when there is no action, or just to stop recording during dead times, will be beneficial.
Tourist

[ New ]

@jefft wrote:

@greencliff13600- ...For example, as long as all of the doors are closed on the camera (ie, you're not providing external power), you can use water on the camera between innings to help cool it down.

Brilliant!

Obviosly its a waterproof camera, not sure why I didnt think of tht !   Ill have an ice water bag on stand by this weekend!

Is there any way to measure temps on this device?

Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
Jeff has given good options that you should try.

Having the camera connected over WiFi is increasing the heat significantly. 

If you don't need to record the entire game....

The camera should be able to reconnect to the app after being shut down, so turning the camera off via the app when you don't need it recording is your best option.

There are many advantages to selectively recording and/or using the Smart Remote. 
The camera will not get as hot when connected to the Remote vs your phone and the mobile app. 

Lastly, the Smart Remote allows for tagging highlights. 

.... so keep in mind that 24fps will give you slightly better results than 30fps for her night games.

If you don't need features like GPS, Voice commands, and Quick Capture, turn these off. Also, go into the display settings and turn the LCD brightness down as low as you can and make sure the screen saver is set to 1 minute.

All great stuff!   Thank you both for the great suggestions

Looks llike I have some things to work w here !

I DO need the entire game, unfortunately.  Batting video is unparrelleled when shot from a Samsung Note 9 directly behind home in UHD.  We do that for ech at bat......However its the unannounced plays at short that Im looking to capture....There have been some real web gems made since she turned 14.  So great to watch athletes grow, haha.  Not to mention the importance of tranining on the not so great decisions made during a game....

LCD and Screen will now be reduced for sure....Dont need GPS WIFI OR Voice on...Quick capture can go as well since im mounting high overhead usually and is somewhat useless in this application.

Looks like a smart remote will help as well as Id rather have my phone unencumbered anyway for the batting closeup video I send to her batting coach after each game....

Will let ya know how it goes and thanks again !

Ant.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Not on the GoPro itself. You'd need to use an external thermometer to get that reading.

Tourist

[ New ]
I stopped using my seven all together. I use my six. It does not over heat like the 7 does. I’m tired of battling it. They replaced it and it’s still the same old thing. Over heats shuts off. I’m done
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi!

I bought Hero 7 Black 3 days ago, but It's overheating at 4K/60 fps. I tried it at lower settings as 1080/60 but it has same problem too. I get a very beautiful quality, but I can't use it. I'll take it back to the store. I'm waiting for the 8 , 9 or 10. maybe they will get better. Thanks and sorry!

Tourist

[ New ]

same problem here ... and they blame me but yet I have no issue with any othe go pro just the 7 black.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jt35 @attilab53866

For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes.

Other factors that can increase camera temperature and power consumption, and decreases camera recording time. 

• Lack of airflow around the camera
  • Using the camera with the GoPro App
  • Using the camera in combination with BacPac accessories (HERO4 Black only)

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. The camera stops recording, saves your video, disconnects from the GoPro App, and powers off. If this happens, let your camera sit and cool before attempting to use it again. 

For extended recording time in high-performance video modes, capture shorter video clips when in stationary use, and/or limit your use of features that increase power consumption, such as the GoPro App or BacPac accessories. To control your camera remotely at higher temperatures, use the GoPro remote instead of the GoPro App.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006

Hi!

I tried it with lower settings 1080/30 FPS Linear today, but my Hero 7 Black turned off after 48 minutes.

I tested now as dash cam with AC in my car.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the update, @attilab53866. Ensure that the external power source output is 5V 1-2A as recommended for HERO7 camera.

In addition to this, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I too have overheating issues with the 7.  I also own the Hero Black 5 & 6 and never experienced these issues.  The 7 overheats, freezes, won't shut off and is unpredictable.  I usually record in 1080p 60fps or 2.7k 60fps.  I turn off most of the unnecessary features like voice command, beeps, gps, etc.  I see there's a lot of complaints here about this issue.  I certainly hope GoPro man's up they might have a systemic issue with the 7 and provide support without excuses.

I've been using the cameras for the past 3 years for my vlog on YouTube and it's provided high quality production grade videos WHEN it works correctly.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here. Ever since i purchased back in July 2018, i have had nothing but issues with it locking up and overheating. My first major use was for hunting. I took it out in around 30-40 degree weather and after about a 1/2 hour of recording it shutdown and killed my battery. I read that some of the settings can kill the battery fast (ie, voice control, gps, 4K, etc), so turned all those off. Took a trip to Hawaii in December and went snorkeling. Every now and then i would surface and check the video, but the screen is locked up and it required a restart. Happened twice during our 1 hour of snorkeling. Used it just a couple of weeks ago for my son's baseball game. Was around 80 degrees, but mounted it in the shade. Turned off wifi and all the bells and whistles and it would record for about 40 minutes straight and then it would either overheat or kill the battery or both. I have had nothing but an iffy experience with my GoPro 7. It just is not reliable and am somewhat regretting ever buying it. Just crossing my fingers that they somehow release a software fix or something. I guess it is somewhat reassuring that I am not the only one. Have been debating if I need to send it in for a replacement or just hold out for a fix.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @normnailz. Sorry to hear about the experience. Is it the HERO7 Black that you have? The camera was launched in September 2018. 

I am gathering that you have already done the recommended troubleshooting steps - making sure that the camera is manually updated to the latest firmware, that the camera uses a recommended SD card, and that it is charged according to best practices and recommended chargers

If you are still experiencing issues with your camera, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to walk you through further troubleshooting. If you haven't yet, connect with them by phone or chat. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

hi @mariustanya, thanks for the response. I made an error in my post, i actually purchased in mid-October 2018 from a tradeshow in LA. It is indeed a GoPro Hero7 Black. This Sandisk Extreme 128GB is the only sd card I have been using and i charge using the cord that came with the GoPro plugged into my Mac. Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the clarification, @normnailz. I assumed it was a HERO7 Black that you have. Your SD card is good, and charging through a computer is alright, just would take longer. Please keep us posted how it goes when you get in touch with Support. Best regards!

Explorer

[ New ]
Try with Auto Low Light turned off and the orientation locked to UP (or down if you mount upside down). Also, if possible, try with another SD card from the list (preferably 32-64GB). I have several SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. I was having some issues with the camera periodically. Since I often use more than one card and rotate use with them, it took me awhile to realize my issues only manifested when I used one particular card. I had to mark them all to figure it out, but once I identified the card giving me issues and stopped using it, I haven't had any problems.
Sightseer

[ New ]
My GoPro 7 is doing the same thing. It’s constantly runs hot and on a number of occasions has shut itself down.
GoPro

[ New ]

@quarkgonebad, have you already installed the latest firmware v1.8? If you haven't yet, follow the manual update instructions specified in this article: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras 

Additionally, please ensure that you're using a recommended SD card for your camera. Using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card.

Tourist

[ New ]

I had frezzing issues (since 1.8 update).  then I followed the procedures here and when and bought now recommended 64 GB SD card (had one already).  I record at 1080p/60.  THis is absolutely nuts.  I have onwed like 5 gopros.  This is the wordst I haev ever seen... Worked fine, software update all hell breaks loose and gopro wants us all to spend money on SD cards (which work fine in other devices at same resolution (hero).  No gopro, your devices are broken and you should do the right thing admit it recall them and give folks devices that really work and folks do not need vood magic to get them working.

So frustrating.  Everythign was fine... then 1.8 software and no combinaton works.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having this as well. It seems the GoPro Hero 7 Black is simply not capable of recording 4k video of any serious duration, making it's use as a dashcam impossible. I had to mount it underneath the Jeep to give it enough airflow to stop overheating. Even then it had issues, which went away the farther north I drove.

By the time I got to Alaska it was pretty stable while around Seattle it was still overheating. The hickups returned again when the temperature hit ~60-70f again. I guess using it as a high-res dashcam is straight out. It's worth noting it was plugged in at the time, which may have affected it, but it overheated inside the jeep even on battery.

I'm not thrilled with the missing vacation footage. I was hoping for a continous shot from Washington ot Alaska and back but the camera kept dropping out on me. A video camera should not have this many stability issues.

Tourist

[ New ]

@quarkgonebad wrote:
My GoPro 7 is doing the same thing. It’s constantly runs hot and on a number of occasions has shut itself down.

I had it overheat while uploading video and syncing. It refuses to upload a very long (2hr+) file. The heat was so bad it warped the lcd display in front temporarily, causing black spots. I'll not be buying another GoPro if this isn't fixed. I am using a recommended SD card, not that it shoud matter. It's fast enough to write video until it gets hot. This is a GoPro problem, not an SD card problem and it irks me that this excuse is being pushed.

Tourist

[ New ]

the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card.

IAA software developer. Can you explain to me exactly what "active mode" means?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gstahl @adeptwater21433

If you haven't yet please run a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update

You may also check Camera Freezes Up

If all else fails, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
What he said
Tourist

[ New ]

The SD card issue is mostly a lie (the heat issue is caused by the main chip not being effecient enough), but it's reasonable to expect there to be a delay when the camera powers on. Smartphones respond quickly because they're already on. The screen is just off. You can put the GoPro in a similar mode by pressing the button on the side. Then you can press the button on the top to start recording and it'll be more or less instant. I do this if I know i'll be using my GoPro. Of course the battery won't last very long while the GoPro is in this mode, but neither would a smartphone with a comparable battery. You can probably extend the battery life a bit in this standby mode by turning off wireless connections and other things like that.

Tourist

[ New ]

@adeptwater21433 the problem is the standby mode drains the battery way faster than a smartphone on a similar mode. Last night I left my GoPro on my wallet almost fully charged. This morning its charge was fully depleted. Also, the battery needs more than the "default" 5V/1A to charge, so you can use the camera while charging on, e.g., a laptop. On my car I have a 5V/2.5A charger, so it can film and charge simultaneously, but any modern smartphone could do the same with around 5V/1A, although it would take longer to fully charge or perhaps not charge at all, but wouldn't lose charge. 

In short, I agree that smartphones take longer to boot, but their battery charges can last a week or more in airplane mode with wi-fi turned off, which is not the case with a GoPro, which lasts less than a day with the most economic available standby mode.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, the problem is it's main chip is basically a smartphone chip but not as effecient as some of the newer ones and the battery is a lot smaller... so it's kind of normal it won't last as long. If you leave it all nignt in standby mode, it will power off. Even in "off" mode the bluetooth is on (by default, iirc), so it will eventually drain. I make a habit of plugging mine in regularly as I would with a smartphone.

As far as any modern smartphone recording without draining at 5v/1a? I highly doubt that, but there might be a few very effecent phones capable of that. It might not report losing charge, but it would likely drain nonetheless.

Likewise, apart from maybe some Apple devices, it's unlikely that any smartphone is going to last more than a week on standby, even in airplane mode. Apple's makes it's own silicon. GoPro does not. The overheating issue could be solved if they did, but as I noted earlier in the thread, it's very expensive.

As time goes on, processses will improve, GoPro will put a better SOC in their cameras, and the overheating and battery issues will largely dissappear (at 4k60). At that point you can expect the GoPro to overheat at it's then maximum resolution of (likely) 8k. At no point will they add an *note on the box stating that recording time at maximum quality is dependent on thermal constraints, but that would be honest and the marketing department can't have that.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, the problem is it's main chip is basically a smartphone chip but not as effecient as some of the newer ones and the battery is a lot smaller... so it's kind of normal it won't last as long. If you leave it all nignt in standby mode, it will power off. Even in "off" mode the bluetooth is on (by default, iirc), so it will eventually drain. I make a habit of plugging mine in regularly as I would with a smartphone.

As far as any modern smartphone recording without draining at 5v/1a? I highly doubt that, but there might be a few very effecent phones capable of that. It might not report losing charge, but it would likely drain nonetheless.

Likewise, apart from maybe some Apple devices, it's unlikely that any smartphone is going to last more than a week on standby, even in airplane mode. Apple's makes it's own silicon. GoPro does not. The overheating issue could be solved if they did, but as I noted earlier in the thread, it's very expensive.

As time goes on, processses will improve, GoPro will put a better SOC in their cameras, and the overheating and battery issues will largely dissappear (at 4k60). At that point you can expect the GoPro to overheat at it's then maximum resolution of (likely) 8k. At no point will they add an *note on the box stating that recording time at maximum quality is dependent on thermal constraints, but that would be honest and the marketing department can't have that.

Tourist

[ New ]

****SOLUTION****
After having overheating issues every since purchasing my Hero 7 Black I have finally found the solution.

Just a quick explanation of my issue.  I never had any issues recording at 4K 60FPS on battery for long periods.  I only had the issue when I needed to record for longer than what the battery would last and I had the charging cable connected.  At best I would get an hour out of it before it shut down due to overheating.

I had searched the forums with no results and had GoPro replace the cameras with no results.  Then the Hero 8 came out and it will not allow you to use the camera while charging.  You have to take the battery out.

It suddenly hit me.  If this is the case with the Hero 8 then could this be the case with the Hero 7.  So testing began and success.  The camera ran for 7H:28 Min which was when the SD Card was full.  Tested again today and Success.

Problem Solved!  Hope this helps others out.