Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Overheating GoPro 7

[ New ]

My new GoPro 7 overheats And gets red Hot, turning itself off, I have updated the software and tried new micro sd cards, even tried running it at night. Plus as it overheats it will not run long?

Hiker

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

[ New ]

How long is not long exactly or approximately?

What mode / 4K 60, etc?

How hot is your ambient day / night temperature?

This might add some context to your question. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Also, included with your answers to @swifthero28110 please include exactly which SD cards (make/model/size) that you are using, if the cards are used or new, if the cards have been formated (Full or Quick) in the computer and in the camera, if you have run a manual update, if you have done a factory reset, if the camera has been connected to the GoPro app, if Auto Quik Stories is on (in the app), if you are using an external power device, what you are using to charge your camera's battery (wall charger - what type including volts and amps or computer USB) ~helps to understand battery condition~, Stabilization - On/Off, Voice Commands - On/Off, GPS - On/Off, Connections - On/Off.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have been using the standard 4K 60fps a Lexar 64gb 300x card and a new Samsung micro sd card, both rated for 4K , the temperature is only 16Deg C it overheats within 30 min

Explorer

[ New ]
Well, the SD cards are probably the problem, especially the Lexar 300x.

There are a few Samsung cards that should work: Samsung Evo Plus (Not to be confused with Samsung Evo+). Samsung Evo Select (Same card as Evo Plus but re-branded for Amazon), and the Samsung Pro.

Try to stick to this list for the best performance https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Adventurer

[ New ]

Also is this your first gopro ever?

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes this is my first GoPro, I have since returned it to the shop and was given another GoPro, the returned GoPro had a swollen battery. Hopefully this new one just works as advertised 

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15

Can you explain why SD card means so much >? I understand read/write speed but at all...why is so important?

Explorer

[ New ]
Once inserted, the SD card becomes a part of the camera circuitry. Every diode, cable, transistor and wire must have certain speeds and integrity. Without a proper SD card, the system doesn't run properly.
Nomad

[ New ]
Does Samsung evo plus 64gb microsd mb-mc64ga/eu will be enough good ?
Explorer

[ New ]
It should be. I actually bought one (actually a Samsung Evo Select, which is just the amazon.com branded Evo Plus) to test against my SanDisk Extreme v30, Lexar 1000x and Samsung Pro and Pro+. I haven't run any test yet, so I don't have first hand knowledge, but I suspect it should be fine.
Nomad

[ New ]

The GoPro staff (and daniel who wishes he was one) tend to suggest the SD card is the problem straight off the batt. Or the other typical response is "do a manual update".

If you're using a recommended SD card then it won't be the problem, and if it is GoPro have something to answer for.

Overheating GoPro's are standard, it happens to everyone. Especially at 4k 60fps. That is the answer I'm afraid, just use lower specs for longer recordings.

Explorer

[ New ]
@quickhero77554
Are you a child? Seriously, I'm thinking maybe a petulant 20 something know it all? If so, no problem, it just explains a lot. If not, I really feel sorry for anyone who has to associate with you.

Anyway, the reason for always recommending a SD card from GoPro's list and performing a manual update is because doing so rules these out as possibly being a source of the issue, whatever it may be. Since this is a member to member community, there is little more we can do other than possibly offering suggestions on settings, camera placement, and general use.

If the suggestions don't fix the issue, then we suggest the member contact the GoPro Support Team. Since these are the same steps the support team will ask if the member has done, then we are saving this step when they do call or chat. Hopefully, it also assist in getting an exchange RMA processed more expediently.

It's not, as @quickhero77554 might have people believe, to try and sweep things under the rug or try to present that the camera doesn't have an issue. However, in many cases, IT IS the card, and often a new card and/or manual update DO help.

Of course, there are always some people like @quickhero77554 who always have to be right and the authority on everything and LOVE bashing GoPro or anyone who says anything remotely positive about the cameras. God forbid you try to help someone other than just saying how crappy everything is. The rain cloud over his head is dark and dreary and he just wont be happy until everyone is under it.

No thank you.

@quickhero77554
Please don't now cry about how I'm ruining forums for you, boring you, sniffing Woodman's &%$#, etc, etc. You are the one stalking my every post and it's getting very sad for you.
Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15

Ouch did I hit a nerve?

Not sure I've been bashing GoPro, in fact I have owned the 5, 6, and now the 7.

I'm just ofering my advice and noting when I think others advice is not very good.

Explorer

[ New ]

@quickhero77554
Yeah, I guess you have. Helping is great, and I've actually taken the time to applaud you for it in the past. Additionally, I've taken time to address issues any questions you've had, including going through my own gear to find dates and information in the hopes of helping you.

You may not feel that I offer any benefit to this community, but there are many who do. I don't do this for you, so your constant attacks and insults are of little interest to me personally, but your tone and arrogant attitude so have an effect.

Does it please you if you, "hit a nerve"? Is that what you are going after? You can chase me around this forum insulting me all you want, it's not going to change my honest desire to help people. Best of luck to anyone in your life who has to put up with you. Then again, I'm sure they are just wrong, as you are always right.

Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15

You have attacked and insulted me just as much if not more. When I do have a question that needs answering your advice is not helpful because it always goes back to you defending GoPro to the death as opposed to offering actual solutions.

And it's funny how you call me childish but yet you are here insulting me and my family.

Also not sure when I've ever claimed to be right about everything, if I have a problem then obviously it's subjective and I want help with it. Just because my problem doesn't bother you doesn't mean I'm wrong like you constantly suggest.

Honestly Daniel take a look at yourself, you are the one who thinks he's right all the time. Get over yourself.

Explorer

[ New ]

@quickhero77554
I'll take your words to heart. I honestly don't think that I am always right or infallible; however, I also don't post advise, suggestions, or opinions that I think are wrong. But it is true, I have learned a lot from members on this site many times they have helped me to understand what I thought I already had a firm grasp on. This does not exclude you as well, as I'm sure you have posted perspectives or thoughts that have changed my thinking on certain things.

I welcome when you correct something I may have missed stated or maybe wrong about. I enjoy learning about these cameras and filming in general. When I post advice, I do try to use words such as "I think" , "it might be", "I hope" and most always, "try". if it's coming across as though I think I have the definitive answers, that is not my intention.

I only speak to my experiences with these cameras. If I have not had the same experience as the person posting, I tried to state that. As I do have extensive knowledge of GoPro cameras going back to the original hero HD, I have experienced many of the same issues. As a long-standing member of this forum, I have the knowledge of what other members have posted for issues and what has and has not worked for them. I have disassembled, reassembled, and change Parts in several GoPro cameras. The company ifixit.com is local to where I liveand I have consulted with them on several issues as well.ultimately though, I have found that in general, the best advice to give begins with a working recommended SD card and a manual update. When these do not address the issue, then it is usually best for the customer to contact the GoPro support team so they can work out the best options for them.

I tried to make it a point to not spend other people's money, or to tell them what they should or should not do with their camera in relation to returns or exchanges. Most people who come to this site, have already made their purchase and have expectations that for whatever reason are not being met. If it's as simple as changing a setting to get a better image, great! I use my cameras a lot, so I have a pretty good knowledge base of what works for me and I like to share that with others. If someone has a differing opinionabout a setting the member should try, then that's even better. Not only does it provide options for that member, I often will then go out and try it myself. Many things I used to believe as the, "best" settings, I no longer use.

@quickhero77554 I do value your input but just ask that you stop with your insults about me, my intentions, and whether or not my opinions matter. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but you need to embrace a little humility yourself. I am not always right, and neither are you. It will serve each of us better, and the members on this community, if we each stop addressing one another in our post, and most certainly stop hijacking these threads with our petty little arguments.

Explorer

[ New ]
@quickhero77554
Such a shame. I wrote the above hoping we could come to a peaceful accord, yet I see not just five minutes ago you posted yet another back handed insult at me. I mean this in all seriousness, mature a little and get over it.
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15

Nobody has time to read your 10000 word essay.

And my last comment was just reiterating that people have a problem with the stabilisation, and reiterating how terrible your advice was. Which it was by the way, "learn the camera" is not a solution. Sorry.
Sightseer

[ New ]

If you need a non biased opinon, I'd say @danielr15 is helpful, and @quickhero77554 is being a troll.  I haven't read any other posts though, and this is based purely on reading this thread about overheating issues.  Super entertaining though; thanks to both of you for bringing humor to my morning (and thanks Daniel for the insightful information).

Tourist

[ New ]

Why would an SD Card influence on GoPro's overheating? ... every solution on this forum resumes to the SD Card list. Mine overheats aswell in 4K60 as all the others, no matter what SD Card you have, that's just about it.

I would say, return your camera if you don't like it this way, because it'll always overheat like every other gopro in max res.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @megadive27147,

Yes SD card can cause overheating. 

for example you're recording in max resolution and your SD card write speed can't keep up with the camera.

That's the time it will cause heating or freezing. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I see, well, I'm gonna try a new card and let you know, but I doubt it won't heat up a lot like it always does in 4K60 :)

GoPro

[ New ]

I can say that on 4K60 camera will heat up a little bit @megadive27147 even if you have a recommended SD card. 

Considering the temperature but if it really heats up too much then I can say that there is really a problem with the camera. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

FWIW, My Hero 7 has one of the recomended cards (SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 64GB) and if you have any of the extra goodies turned on (ProTune, GPS, WiFi, voice, etc.) then the camera will shutdown due to heat at 4K60 after some period of time (which depends on the ambient temp).  Yes, I'm on the latest firmeare and yes I installed it manually and did a reset.

Will all the extras turned off it'll run continuously but man does it get hot!  It's actually uncomfortable to handle and there's no way that it's going to last for years running at those temps.

I basically figure that it's a 1080 cam if you want to run it continuously but will do up to 4K/60 for short clips.  Maybe I'm under-selling its capabilities, but the whole point of a GoPro for me is not to have to think too much about the camera.  Or should I be concerned that my unit isn't up to snuff?

Explorer

[ New ]
@redjump28722
You may be underestimating the HERO7 Black a bit. Yes, it does get blistering hot when filming in 4K/60, and yes, this resolution/frame rate will cause overheating, especially in warm outside temps. However, if the camera did not shut itself down, then that would be a greater cause for concern.

And, just to keep the HERO7 Black capabilities in perspective, most high end DSLR cameras that can shoot 4K/60 (and cost thousands of dollars) have limits on recording at 4K/60 from ten to thirty minutes. The HERO7 Black far outperforms that in most situations.
Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro uses a bit rate and with protunes more, whatever the numbers.  the sdxc card write speed  for 4K  gopro said 

Hello @fishycomics

This is the only ready (available) information that we have for bit rate for the HERO7 Black camera (and other models, too). Accordingly, the maximum video bit rate is 78 Mb/s which happens when the camera is set to 4K. You can check this article for more details on camera comparison. I cannot seem to find information for the minimum bit rate though. 

Best regards, 
Marius

So using a Sandisk extreme is  what? 60mb write speed. the gopro crashes and shuts down.  Like a slow  old car getting on a super highway  causes a jam.....

Buffering is happening ,  and I think gopro does not know the difference between buffering and over heating but it senses tempetures instead and safely stops the recordign andshuts down.  One can force a   quick turn on by a 30 plus long press   ..

I may not be explaining it correctly but that is how I see it.

Man CYber bears to ya....

Tourist

[ New ]

Careful, don't mix Mbits with MBytes, 78Mbit is around 10MB/s.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue on a replacement GoPro Hero 7 Black for the same issue. I use 128GB UHS II Sandisk so it cant be the disk.
Tourist

[ New ]

So do you think it's worth it to try an RMA?  I've done the majority of what has been listed. (multiple supported cards / lower settings / manual update, etc)  Contacted support who wants to issue an RMA now.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

@megadive27147... yes you are right...still.

Captur.JPG

the process of writing 4K video streams on cards is not a smooth one, like copying a file.

even the overall data rate is 78Mbps, meaning less than 10MBps, the way that 4K streams are written on the card is a "burst like" one.

after capturing frame N, camera has to push the info to the card, before frame N+1 is captured.

although seems that has 1/fps time window, other processes "eat" this window.

I can think at:

- stabilisation - comparing with previous frames and produce the "stabilized" frame

- apply colours, protune settings, etc.

- other data (GPS, audio) - multiple write

- etc.....

so, that result frame data, have to be pushed as a burst, in a fraction of 1/fps.

so the SD card have to be capable accept maybe a 3-5 time the speed of resulting video, so close to 50MBps.

this is why, since 4K filming started to be something wide deployed, new standards for SD card named Video speed Vxx was introduced.

Also Application speed Ay for app running directly from microSD card on mobile phones.

see : https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/index.html

we do not want to make rocket science.

but you will need that U3 - 30MBps sustainable sequential write speed

just me,

robert

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

as per overheating - hero6 and hero7.

when I use hero6 as dashboard camera, I always "sacrifice" one of the air conditioning vents and orient the cool air flow to help the camera cooling.

just me,

robert

Nomad

[ New ]

@robert1326 let me pretend GP admin or some puppets:

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are sure you are using very wrong SD card, we are sure because every evil at this planet is cause of bad sd card.

Very very bad card very very bad user.

PS: I am using Sandisk card which they gave with camera and are issues are excatly the same like on Samsung Card which is not at the official list of "right sdcards"

Backpacker

[ New ]

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Hiker

Re: Overheating GoPro 7 - Sandisk Extreme Plus 128GB microSDXC Class 10 U3

[ New ]

2.7k/30x/Wide "TimeWarp Video"

GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted on car dashboard, facing forward.

External temperature (outside of car) ranging from 59F to 73F

Internal car temperature around 70F

Filming on drive from Vegas to Los Angeles, from about 10am - 3pm

First overheat at around 43 minutes.

Second overheat at around 30 minutes.

Third overheat at around 10 minutes.

Fourth overheat at around 10 minutes.

Last stretch on the way home was overcast, lasted 59 minutes, no overheat.

My guess was that direct sunlight is what killed it, but this is a severe defect for an action camera.  I'm simply not going to be able to limit my video capture to cloudy days, or arctic conditions.

I simply cannot recommend the Hero Black 7 with this current limitation - it's got great features that are effectively unreliable under typical weather conditions.  Might be fine for snowboarding videos, but I can't rely on any of its features on a typical, sunny day.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

I've managed to use my GoPro Hero 7 in Abu Dhabi for the last 3 months or so, including taking some photos and video footage at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, on a 6 Hr Bike ride across the UAE in direct sunlight and with several beach occasions.  No issues so far.  I am aware that there are issues with the battery charge and also the device does warm up when charging (for me anyway), but I'm considering buying an external USB charging point for the batteries instead of using the in-device charge facility. 

Just wanted to add - as it might be an issue with your specific device? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks @dcraggs - you're absolutely right, I shouldn't assume that this is just normal behavior.

I imagine that the bike ride might have worked in direct sunlight with the air-cooling that was happening as you drove along, but I should go ahead and open a ticket with gopro anyway, just in case it is a device issue.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here gets veryvry hot where it turns itself off. I changed my settings like tuern off after 30 mins and no luck

@grandsand54134 wrote:

My new GoPro 7 overheats And gets red Hot, turning itself off, I have updated the software and tried new micro sd cards, even tried running it at night. Plus as it overheats it will not run long?

GoPro

[ New ]

Please see information on your other post @rapidriver51316

Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
So I have the Hero 7 black, with the 256 Evo Plus. Which is on the recommended list of stuff cards and I'm still having pretty major over heating problems as well as battery drain. This is my first go pro so I'm probably just still needing to get the hang of it. But if anyone can offer any tips or tricks it'd be very much appreciated!?!

Thanks for your time
Tourist

[ New ]
***SD cards sorry
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @crazychris24,

Have you tries resetting the camera and install a new firmware?

Here's how: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Please make sure to check manual update steps.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
Can you tell me why I would need to reset the camera in the first place? I didn't manually update I updated through the app when first getting started.
GoPro

[ New ]

Just to start with a clean slate @crazychris24,

After that install a new firmware just to make sure that it is not the firmware that is causing the issue. 

You might want to check the SD card as well.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
I just got the camera brand new there's no reason why I would need to start from a "clean slate". Can you give me an actual reason why this is happening?
Hiker

[ New ]

You didn't elaborate on what your camera settings are (unless I missed it somewhere), but I'm guessing that you're running some flavor of 4K + some number of other features enabled (60fps or GPS or WiFi or Protune or ....)

If this is the case, then your camera is behaving as designed (NOTE: "correctly" is a different concept from "as designed", and I'm not trying to start a debate about that).  The sensor and the processor generate a ton of heat recording 4K.  The physical form of a GoPro is very poor at dissipating that heat.  A combination of small and plastic is the exact opposite of what you'll find if you go looking at heat sinks in electronic stuff.  Now push it to 4K 60fps, add in the GPS, WiFi, and more processing for Protune and you've gone past what the little GoPro body can deal with over any length of time. 

My camera shuts down due to overheating after ~10 minutes at 4K60 if I have *anything* extra turned on.  It'll run continuously at 4K60 if that's the only thing its doing, but it gets so hot that I know its going to die much sooner than I'd like.  No amount of manual updating and no magic SD card can fix this.  It's a limitation of the silicon technology in the camera, and the form factor that tech is packaged into.  Much larger cameras with bigger sensors and metal bodies have overheating issues at 4K, so I'm not so sure why many here are so hesitant to admit that this is the case, but running users around with BS about SD cards and useless firmware procedures as a smoke-screen is pretty shameful IMHO. 

Run your camera at 1080p.  You'll get great stabilization, great frame rates, decent battery life, and no heat.  If you have to shoot 4K you have two scenarios:  1.  If you can manage with <10 min long shots you can shoot anything you like up to 4K60 and just live with the heat.  2.  If you need longer shots than this, you'll need to start turning stuff off - my suggestion would be to drop down to 30fps 1st and go from there.  

Tourist

[ New ]

i purchased a gp7 shortly after it was released and noticed shortly thereafter that it had overheating issues.  i tried the reset, the manual firmware update, etc. none of it worked. i ended up rma'ing the gp7 and had it replaced. still the same issue. the hero 7 essentially shuts down after about 30-40 minutes of recording for me. i have measured the metal part of the lens with an infrared thermometer. this area acts as a heatsink for the unit. it reached appx 140 degrees fahrenheit before shutting down. 

bottom line is i don't believe gopros are designed to capture long videos. they're really more for short clips or <10 minutes as someone pointed out. it's an excellent device if you adapt to the limitations.

Nomad

[ New ]
@redjump28722

I completely agree.

I would add 1080p is a little soft, so shooting at 2.7k is the best bet for all round performance.

And I couldn't agree more that some fanboys (they know who they are) on this forum really do ruin any chance of advancements and actually fixing a problem by spouting the usual SD card and firmware update crap. I sometimes wonder if they are hired by GoPro to talk it up to be honest.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for some actual good advice! Much appreciated