Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Operating Temperature hero6

I'm looking to get the max and min recommend opperating temperatures for the GoPro hero 6. I can't find them anywhere in the manual or online.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Operating Temperature hero6

It's pretty subjective, but the manual states, " Avoid exposing your camera to very cold or very hot temperatures. Low or high temperature conditions may temporarily shorten the battery life or cause the camera to temporarily stop working properly. "

It further states, "When capturing video at high resolutions or high frame rates in warm
ambient temperatures, the camera may become warm and use more
power.
In addition, lack of airflow around the camera and using the camera
with the GoPro app further increase camera temperature and power
consumption, and decrease camera recording time.
If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating
that the camera is shutting down."

Per the warranty, "Batteries give their best performance when they are operated at normal room
temperature 68°F (20°C) ± 9°F (5°C)."

I think it's safe to say, "If it feels hot, expect lower performance. If it feels really hot, put your camera, and probably yourself, in a cooler environment."

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

you'll need to get a thermal gun, the temp for charging around 90F for recording 120ish.   

Highlighted
Sightseer

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear in my original question, I'm looking for the temperature the evnvironment can be for the camera to function, not the temp. of the unit.
Highlighted
Explorer

It's pretty subjective, but the manual states, " Avoid exposing your camera to very cold or very hot temperatures. Low or high temperature conditions may temporarily shorten the battery life or cause the camera to temporarily stop working properly. "

It further states, "When capturing video at high resolutions or high frame rates in warm
ambient temperatures, the camera may become warm and use more
power.
In addition, lack of airflow around the camera and using the camera
with the GoPro app further increase camera temperature and power
consumption, and decrease camera recording time.
If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating
that the camera is shutting down."

Per the warranty, "Batteries give their best performance when they are operated at normal room
temperature 68°F (20°C) ± 9°F (5°C)."

I think it's safe to say, "If it feels hot, expect lower performance. If it feels really hot, put your camera, and probably yourself, in a cooler environment."