Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Opening battery door on Hero 8?

[ New ]

Feeling really dumb about now, watched some reviewers complain about how difficult the new side door is to open, but still they all just pushed down on the tab and the door popped open... I've pushed quite hard, even used gentle pressure with a flat head screw driver and it does not budge!  Leaving on a trip in a couple days, it'd be really cool if I could put a battery in this thing.  

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Opening battery door on Hero 8?

[ New ]

I made a new version of my video to explain better:

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
To open the door you want to push the tab on the right side of the camera downwards until it has a little red mark that’s visible one you get it to that point the door should swing open
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the reply, but I cannot get the bottom tab to slide down at all...
Nomad

[ New ]

Think you can post a video on Youtube of the difficulty you're having?  We may be able to see if there's anything you're doing wrong or offer suggestions.  I find the tab can be easy to open sometimes, other times you do have to dig your nail in to pop the small tab first.  You shouldn't have to use a screw driver though, so may be best to post a video.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Please do upload a video it would be helpful to all.

Slide  down straight  down no tilting

Page 10, no info how to do so but a pointing Arrow 

page 10.png

SnapShot 1.jpg

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for posting the picture showing the red tab. Were it not for your picture, I would never have figured out how to open becuase mine is unbelievably difficult to move that tab down. So difficult that I can not open it with my fingers at all. I actually had to get a screwdriver (wrapped it with a cloth so I didn't scratch too badly) the first time in order to push the tab down. I had to push so hard that I thought for sure I was going to break something. Now that I have opened it and closed it several times, it is a little easier, but I still need to use a penny or something to push that tab down as it is WAY too stiff to open with my fingers!

I can certainly appreciate a tight fit to keep things water proof, but unless mine is a manufacturing flaw, the gopro8 locking mechanism has not been designed for mortal humans!

Adventurer

[ New ]

Let me ask you this question, DO you think if you appled Pressure  to the door that help teh sliding?

Glad the photo from a friend helped out

FISH

Nomad

[ New ]

Another thing you may want to check is the battery ribbon.  They are a little longer this time around (me thinks) to enable you to pull out the battery easier.  But if the ribbon gets folded over, this applies pressure to the inside of the battery door and makes it hard to slide open.  So you may just want to double check that the ribbon isn't folded over when you close the door.

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m having the same issue. I am doing exactly what the directions and picture shows by pulling out on the corner tab with my finger as hard as I can and it will not budge.
Tourist

[ New ]
I actually tried all kinds of different pressure points, squeezing the door shut while I tried to slide it... it literally will not budge with human fingers or fingernails alone. It absolutely needed something to assist, such as the screwdriver I used, in order to get it to slide. Be careful to not scratch the case when using tools.

Not a user friendly design.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Still  no video  on here showing the difficulty??????

Tourist

[ New ]
Battery comes out without a problem. It is the opening of the battery door that is a problem.
Tourist

[ New ]
Yup, pretty busy working at the bedside in a cardiac icu for the last 12 hrs, not a lot of time to film videos. Also, leaving on a trip in a day, so for a YouTube newb who has never posted, probably not gonna have time to figure that out... suffice it to say the video would be my fingernails pushing on the tab until I said “ow!” And yet the tab would not have slid down... sorry I am not more tech savvy. Perhaps you were genuinely trying to help, but it’s been a long day and frankly this has frustrated me quite a bit to buy an expensive new camera to not even be able to open it and turn it on has been fairly disappointing. Sorry if the snark was unwarranted. I am going to try the coin when I get home per someone else’s suggestion.
Tourist

[ New ]
Had the same problem. Used a cloth and a plastic prying tool to get it open. It seems to respond better with constant pressure over a couple of seconds. Once I got it open, I cycled it several times before closing it back to loosen it up. I also noticed there was plastic debris where the door fits in, and I think that was causing extra friction. cleaned that out and it was even better.
Tourist

[ New ]

thanks for your post, plastic pry tool did the trick!

Adventurer

[ New ]

Totoally understand :

Enjoy the time with your camera, and over time everything will fall into place.   everyone has a small issue on  opening a door to removing a bat or sd card, and there are simple tricks to go about it... sometimes you see it after the frustration.  Glad we all were able to help out return with a  Follow up and share your experience again

happy filming

Hiker

[ New ]

Not sure if this will help but here is how mine works. 

https://youtu.be/jIUDhZy3Zyw

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Adventurer

[ New ]

AWESOME!

thanks.  that is a solid made design. I see why uoi may have had issues opeining it, the close is a lot easier because  your forcing a snap.  Of the Hero 7   it was a simple press in this there is force and that may be becuse asshown the  amount of finger on it not enough grab.    thanks again for  that.   this should help all out.

Adventurer

[ New ]

not my clip but  seems quite simple from his clip  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tAPyJZThQ

I show you how to insert and take out the battery on the GoPro Hero 8 Black. Hope this helps. GoPro HERO8 Black - Waterproof Action Camera with Touch Screen ...
Sightseer

[ New ]

I am applying the strength of Thor on this thing and its not moving

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ok my turn.  My son got the battery door open after a struggle (I wasn't watching so I don't know how he did it) however now we can't get it to latch closed securely.  

Door latch Hero8.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @coolhill082

Please refer to HERO8 Black - How to Operate the Side Door

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

[ New ]

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just got mine today, I think not all doors are made the same. When I first got it, I could open and close with no difficulty at all.

I accidentally dropped it from waist height wiith the charger wire plugged in, it landed on the open door. Now, it is really tight to close the door and you need a prying tool to open it. Something is wrong with the door now.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I figured it out. Since dropping it, the door hinge was slightly bent. See my images below, check yours!

BentGoProHinge.jpg

Here is a video with the bent door hinge. When you close the door it SHOULD NOT make a snap sound. If it makes a snap sound, that means it is going to be stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUZTk-i31vM

When completely closing the door, you SHOULD NOT hear a snap. If you hear a snap, that means the door hinge is bent and you will have to use a tool to open t...
Nomad

[ New ]
Just hold down pressed the door and unlock...
Adventurer

[ New ]

not all do that they wan the door to Open when they say open and close when they say close. they d onot know how to  apply gripping    power to the  camera by  gently pressing in and  releasing a tab. that is our problems

Nomad

[ New ]

Hope it helps

Adventurer

[ New ]

@sylkgx wrote:

Hope it helps

how do I hit play. like to see it. work but I can not figure how to open it.    that is how dumb today we become sylkgx. we need others t ospoon feed people or they .....

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks for posting this! I was feeling dumb but this thread helped me a ton!