Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Odd gradient lines

[ New ]

I just received my Gopro Max yesterday.  I've updated to the most current firmware (and running the most current Android app).  These odd gradient lines show in all videos but is most visible in video taken outside in bright sunlight.  It's obviously not a stiching problem.  It also doesn't appear to be anything to do with exposure.  There is nothing covering either lens and this is without the protective lens caps installed.  This shows up in all my videos.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what I can do to eliminate it?  I haven't seen these coloring shifts in any video I've seen posted on line and can't find anyone complaining about it.  This obviously is a show stopper for me.  I will return the camera if I can't solve the problem.

I have not tried taking a 360 photo to see if it has the same effects but will at some point today if I get a chance.

GOPR0003_1586450762628.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Odd gradient lines

[ New ]

You could always try reflashing the firmware on your camera.  After all, the max is supposed to do it's stitching in camera, so that may help.  Or it could be the post processing once it's taken from the camera and put on the phone.  You may as well try a few fixes, even uninstalling and re-installing the app like you said (be warned, this will delete any footage stored on your phone).  Also, try different modes to see if it's affected (resolution, time lapse, photo etc).  The more info you can give the developers, the quicker they may be able to release a patch that corrects the issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

This actually is a stitching issue in the app caused by the app.  Please use the "feedback" option in the app to let the developers know the issue.  Using the feedback option lets the developers know your phone model, software version etc and this helps them pinpoint the issue and make the needed changes.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the response!  Interesting.  I will definitely use the feedback loop and report it.  In the meantime is there another solution or workaround?  Uninstall and reinstall the app for example?  This is a Oneplus 6t so a fairly modern phone that seems to render just fine without crashes or other glitches.  Unfortunately I literally just sold my backup phone on ebay last week so I can't try installing the application on a different phone to see if it behaves any differently.

Nomad

[ New ]

You could always try reflashing the firmware on your camera.  After all, the max is supposed to do it's stitching in camera, so that may help.  Or it could be the post processing once it's taken from the camera and put on the phone.  You may as well try a few fixes, even uninstalling and re-installing the app like you said (be warned, this will delete any footage stored on your phone).  Also, try different modes to see if it's affected (resolution, time lapse, photo etc).  The more info you can give the developers, the quicker they may be able to release a patch that corrects the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I solved the problem!!!

I tried multiple things, including reflashing the camera firmware and uninstalling/reinstalling the gopro app (multiple times).  Still the same result.  

I finally installed the app on my son's phone, which is also a OnePlus 6t.  It worked perfectly with zero transition lines. Odd!  So, I went through all the phone settings one by one and compared them.  I finally found a setting called "video enhancer" in the display settings.  Video enhancer is designed to enhance the color while playing videos.  I had it turned on in my phone.  It was turned off in my phone.  Turned it off, problem solved!  I now have perfect video and photos.

Thanks to Irishmanpdx for taking the time to provide helpful suggestions!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

eh....obviously meant to say the video enhancer setting was turned off on my SON'S phone so I copied his setting...

@gofastdan wrote:

....I had it turned on in my phone.  It was turned off in my phone....

Nomad

[ New ]

Dude well done!  You came across a problem and rather than sit around waiting for someone else to find a solution, you went and found one yourself.  Congrats!  I'll remember this one should someone else have the same issue.  Well done, glad your camera is working out for you now!