Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Normal? Horizontal Lines on Screen of Brand New Hero 7 Black

[ Edited ]

Just bought a brand new GoPro Hero 7 Black.  I noticed there are horizontal lines on the back screen when off.  Is this normal/expected? (please ignore fingerprint smudge) 

2019-07-18 12.43.58.jpg

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Horizontal Lines on Back Screen

Hi @lifetographer,

Thanks for reaching out. The touch LCD display should be completely black when the camera is turned off. Try removing the battery off the camera. Leave it out for a few minutes and insert it back onto the camera.

If the camera behaves this way every time you power it off, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified in this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Let us know how it works for you.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

Doesn't seem to work. Just took out the battery and the lines are still there. I have the latest update at 1.70.
Highlighted
Tourist

This is after being powered off for about five minutes.  It appears the lines are a zig-zag pattern and are the strongest at the center and edges of the screen.  Is this a manufacturing defect or did the seller refurbish the screen somehow?

2019-07-18 13.42.08-1.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @lifetographer

Please see if resetting the camera will work.  Reset Camera Settings
If it's still the same, proceed with a manual software update. https://gopro.com/update/
Let us know how it goes.

You may reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactU

As this is a recent purchase, you can also refer to the same store/channel you got the camera from.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I updated and the lines are still there.  Also I noticed some scratches on the left side of the back panel.  Could it be that the screen was refurbished even though I bought this as NEW?

Shouldn't you be able to tell as a Gopro employee?

Thank you.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @lifetographer

This appears normal to me.

So long as the produced image does not have any lines to it, then it should be good.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

On closer inspection it seems like the LCD crystals are misaligned too. Easier to tell with the sun but hard to take a picture.  The lines don't run parallel to each other rather they intersect in some places almost like scratches.

2019-07-18 16.50.01.jpg