Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Noise with external microphone

Greetings!

I have a GoPro 4 Silver that I use to record a concert band.  I have used an external mic with an Audio Technica with a 1/8" Jack and a adapter.  All of a sudden, a drone of a squeal has been occuring during all of my recordings. Here are the things I have done to troubleshoot:

• I used a different adapter.  
  • I used a different microphone. 
  • I tested the adapter and the microphone on a different recorder.
  • I cleaned the jack with contact cleaner.  

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on how I can fix it

GoPro

Re: Noise with external microphone

@grayoasis08753, sorry to hear about the trouble. I appreciate you going through the troubleshooting steps. Are you using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter? How long have you been experiencing the audio problem? When was the last time it worked fine?

Make sure you're using a recommended external microphone. Please see External Microphone Recommendations for reference.

Issues with the camera's audio quality may have something to do with the GoPro Mic Adapter, the external microphone used, or the camera itself. I do have a few more suggestions to help us further isolate the problem.

• Make sure the camera is outside of the housing. Test recording in a quiet environment.
  • Do you get the same results without using the GoPro Mic Adapter and an external microphone?
  • If the issue is with the camera, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229
Tourist

Thank you so much for your comments:

Are you using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter? 

Yes I am.  

How long have you been experiencing the audio problem?

It started in December.  The recordings just started to have the background noise.  

Make sure you're using a recommended external microphone.

The microphone I am using worked fine before in December and it works with other devices (Zoom H4n)

• Make sure the camera is outside of the housing. Test recording in a quiet environment.
    • Tried that and I still get the buzz.  
  • Do you get the same results without using the GoPro Mic Adapter and an external microphone?
    • I can't use an external micrphone without an adapter.  I have two and they both get the buzzing sound.  There is no buzz when I don't use an external mic.  
  • If the issue is with the camera, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera 
    • Just did this.  I still get a buzz.  
GoPro

@grayoasis08753, thank you for posting back with an update. Please upload a sample raw/unedited footage to your Dropbox or Google Drive and let our Support Team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Adventurer

Hero 5 and up uses a Promic adapter?

could you clearify the  mic adapter with a photo.

Tourist

I have two different adapters and I have attached a photo of the two adapters as well as the microphone I am using.  

GOPR6414.JPG