Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer
Accepted Solution

No, the HERO8 is NOT the same as HERO7 but with new firmware

I see a lot of people falsely stating that the HERO7 and HERO8 are basically the same camera, and all that GoPro needs to do is update the HERO7 to give it the same level of stabilization.  This is false.  The HERO8 has HARDWARE that allows for the increased performance, it is NOT just software that sets them apart.

There are many differences in hardware between the HERO7 and HERO8, but two specific NEW hardware changes specific to the stabilization are the Bosch BMI260 IMU Accelerometer / Gyro pair 6-axis sensor and Active Semi ACT88326 PMIC Dedicated 0.9v regulator for VDDCore and possibly LDDR of GP1, which most likely allows GoPro to boost the clock of the system. Only the HERO8 has these chips, and therefore ONLY the HERO8 can offer the incredible Hypersmooth 2.0 performance.

So, the next time you see or read some misinformed individual spouting off nonsense about how GoPro could have updated the HERO7 to have the same stabilization and performance of the HERO8, feel free to link them back to this post.

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: No, the HERO8 is NOT the same as HERO7 but with new firmware

excellent Daniel!

very good information! 

...why my feeling is you will not get many replies?!?! Smiley Frustrated

have a good one!

robert

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

excellent Daniel!

very good information! 

...why my feeling is you will not get many replies?!?! Smiley Frustrated

have a good one!

robert

Hiker

I thought they had upgraded/increased the memory as well.
Explorer

I haven't seen anything related to RAM (although this could also be true).  The biggest physical changes that I'm aware of are:

Updated IMU (inertial sensing), new power subsystem allowing them to "boost" the processor / LDDR, battery with a higher discharge rate and temperature tolerance, faster MIMO enabled WiFi chipset, slimport driver for video over USB-C, replaceable integrated mounting pegs, fiberglass woven technology enclosure, and better microphone placement.

Hiker

You sure they can't do that with a firmware update

(joking)
Explorer

Man Very Happy

Adventurer

@danielr15   I applaude you, 10 kuddles   for taking the time to Put people straight.  And post the    awarded topic of the Year.

Fish

Back to using my Hero 8,  and enjoying its FEatures and Functions of where it came from, the Hero7 .

Reguardes  Fish

Backpacker

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

@jay-ell wrote:
You sure they can't do that with a firmware update

(joking)