Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

No Sound

[ New ]

Hello, My Hero 2014 does not record sound with the back waterproof door on as my Original Hero did.  With the door off it does record. Do I need a different door or are there settings I can change in order to get sound with the back door on?

Thank you,

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: No Sound

[ New ]

Thank you for getting back to us.

This is expected.

Lower audio is observed when the camera is used with a housing.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @greggg268. There is no way to adjust the volume or the audio capture on your camera whether in or out of the housing. The HERO 2014 comes in an integrated housing so it should be able to capture sound even with the door attached. See if manually updating the firmware will help clear the issue. 

To proceed with the update, follow the steps below: 

1. Go to the GoPro HERO (2014) update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

It is also important that the camera uses a recommended SD card to keep it running smoothly. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for the quick reply. I have updated to the latest firmware and have an approved Sandisk SD card but there is still no sound with back housing closed. Audio is clear with back door open so I don’t think it’s a system issue. any other thoughts. Could the back door be an incorrect one for this unit?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greggg268

Is it completely mute when the back door is attached?

Would you be able to share a sample file?

You can have it uploaded to Youtube the share the link.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

It is not completely mute since it does register me tapping loudly on the housing but it does not record my voice at all.

Please see the link below.

https://youtu.be/7uL_v71YRGE

GoPro Hero 2014 records voice with back door open but does not record voice with back door closed. It does record loud tapping on the housing only.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for getting back to us.

This is expected.

Lower audio is observed when the camera is used with a housing.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks. I do expect lower audio. This loss is drastically more than when I had the original Hero with waterproof housing. When surfing and videoing kids bodysurfing I could hear there voices. With the Hero 2014 I hear nothing. This is very disappointing considering I am upgrading my model not downgrading it. Any other thoughts?
Thank you.