Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

No Protune settings on GoPro Android App

[ New ]

Since the last update, version 7.3.2, i have no Protune settings

Screenshot_20210108-140916077.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: No Protune settings on GoPro Android App

[ New ]

I'm sure there's reasons for it, probably has to do with the contour case, both IP infringements (aspects of control of camera & previewing while recording are both mentioned and now neither function is supported by the GoPro app.  Cease and desist order maybe?).

On the bright side, this may be what made GoPro light a fire under the GoPro labs firmware and make it available for the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max.  So using the GoPro Labs QR code is a much faster way of setting up shots and saving your settings as instant codes to use.  So while it's disappointing that you don't have the protune options available via the app any more, using the QR codes is much faster if you know what settings you will need.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]
So this is intentional?? Why on earth would that be a good idea? Pretty much ensuring I DON’T use your app.
Nomad

[ New ]

this brand has become a dogs breakfast.

so the hero 7 you could do EVERYTHING off the remote, front face and app

the Hero 9 you can do somethings on the app and other things on the new remote  which has a lower featureset of the smart remote (so you need both).

WTF is gopro R&D smoking? 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I spent a whole afternoon trying to find out why i hane not the protune menu on the App and this happens BECAUSE gopro decided so.

Why ??? I need the control of protune parameters. I dont want to press Rec and get an uncontrolled footage.

YOU MUST update the App again to get control of Protune menu. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. The ability to change Protune settings and camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app. Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line for recommended tips and tricks. We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello, Everyone. The ability to change Protune settings and camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app. Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line for recommended tips and tricks. We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users. 

I cannot find the Protune settings on my Hero 5 Session via the menu on the Session itself. I am running the latest firmware, 2.51, and everywhere I read people are saying to edit Protune settings via the GoPro's menu. Where? It's nowhere to be found in the menu. Did they remove it from the Hero 5 Session altogether or something?

Tourist

[ New ]

So it means to me (ownwer of a session 5) to spend $80 on a remote because of an arbitrariness of your R&D department?

Backpacker

[ New ]

I'm sure there's reasons for it, probably has to do with the contour case, both IP infringements (aspects of control of camera & previewing while recording are both mentioned and now neither function is supported by the GoPro app.  Cease and desist order maybe?).

On the bright side, this may be what made GoPro light a fire under the GoPro labs firmware and make it available for the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max.  So using the GoPro Labs QR code is a much faster way of setting up shots and saving your settings as instant codes to use.  So while it's disappointing that you don't have the protune options available via the app any more, using the QR codes is much faster if you know what settings you will need.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes you are right, there is always a reason and i didn´t knew about the Contour case and makes sense to me. Been that the case i don´t have so mush hope on that the GoPro labs would develop a firmware upgrade for the Session 5.

Tourist

[ New ]
I recently bought a hero 9 (first time owner of GoPro) I too am pissed to see this isn't in the app. I bought a protective case which makes the screen difficult to access, I frequently change protune settings. I'm absolutely livid to find out that for absolutely no reason but to sell a remote, the protune settings have been removed from the app. Absolutely rediculus, I regret my purchase now, and no, I will not continue purchasing GoPro products. I'll find something better that doesn't screw around with their customers like this.
Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know about the ramifications of any legal cases. However, to remove the Protune settings from the app was a terible decision. I expect to be able to have this kind of granular control of the camera from the app. GoPro please put Protune settings back on the app. I will not spend any further money on GoPro proucts, and I will not renew the GoPro cloud unless this gets fixed.

Sightseer

[ New ]
An easy solution can be done on this actually. Download the previous version apk of the gopro app. But ofcourse you will loose the "up to date" feature on the app itself.
Sightseer

[ New ]

yeah that stinks is there anyother way

Backpacker

[ New ]

The only ways at the moment are either...

Using a remote.

Using QR Codes and the GoPro Labs Firmware (only compatible with the GoPro Hero 7,8,9 and Max)

Using direct camera input.

It's a giant PITA not having Protune Settings via the GoPro app.  I mount these camera on the outside of my vehicles and airplanes.  Sometimes shots have to be set up midair due to changing light conditions, setting sun etc.  Using the app made this very easy and quick, now it's a frustration.

Sightseer

[ New ]
This is exactly what i have done. Updated App vs Protune menu the second wins. I have downloaded the previous version and I am ok so far. Thank you .
Sightseer

[ New ]

Uninstall the phone app and download this old version. Works

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay! Then tell me how to turn off the beep on the session 5 on the camera! I know it's not possible! Please bring back the full controll via app, ios and android! Its a big step in the wrong direction when you continue your way....

Tourist

[ New ]

iOS also lost the setting! Very bad! We'll have to return the camera to the store.

Tourist

[ New ]

The cheapest way for me was the android way.... for ios user 😩

Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah my white balance was set very warm the last time I used my Session 5 before the app updated on my iPhone. So now I literally have no way of changing the protune settings on it. At least I had flat color profile enabled but still very difficult to get good colors out of the footage unless I'm under bright blueish lights.
Sightseer

[ New ]

GoPro please bring back this function. I have 2 session 5 cameras that are not compatible with GoPro Lab

Backpacker

[ New ]

They can't right now.  It's a legal issue and GoPro don't have a choice in the matter.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Got no clue what gopro is saying really get your act together

https://youtu.be/Ca0oHvyH5Ig

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

[ New ]

Gopro the "ONE TRICK" pony has run out of tricks........ their deployments outside electronic horizon leveling and heinsight  have all been done before...... you can only sell the same hit and miss steak with a differnt gravy so much.....

there are very few boundaries to push now without breaching patents and history of other deployments like drones, software are all failures

Bye bye Gobro - their Q4 results after going direct leave much to be desired......... uptake on the subscription is a given as its free and your hardware is discounted....late 2021 is when the cliff hits hard unless the gopro X is a ground breaking unit that works off the production line.....

Gopro is the 2021 titanic story (have my popcorn ready!:))

Sightseer

[ New ]

Here is the link to the oficial Gopro apk 7.3.1 (with protune for all cameras, include session)

If you can't download with Chrome, try use Egde browser. Try to NO update the apk never!

Tourist

[ New ]
Será que tem versão anterior pra utilizar regulagens com a hero 5 session?
Tourist

[ New ]

What the hell is going on @GoPro. Now how can we setup the GoPro Session 5 without the Protune?!

Really, you change things without asking to the customers, sounds like you're pushing us to buy the most recent version even if our current version still works and suits for us.

I'll never buy another GoPro camera...

Tourist

[ New ]

@GoPro.

When we bought the GoPro 5 Session we were supposed to control everything with our Phone including the settings. Today you removed features that are required to setup our camera and make it works properly. This unacceptable. You're forcing us to buy a new camera that we don't even need...

Sightseer

[ New ]
Watch the video, in the description have the link to the gopro apk who have protune active for all cameras, session included
https://youtu.be/u5UBBXNu_0g
Tourist

[ New ]

I would if I could but I'm on IPhone and there's no way to do what you can do in Android. I haven't noticed that was a thread related to Android but the issue remain the same on IPhone.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Seems that there are a lot of lazy people on this thread, people who don't do the research and haven't bothered to figure out why Protune controls have been disabled.  Why don't you try reading back through the thread and you'll find the answer has already been posted quite some time ago.

Tourist

[ New ]

As a lazy people, the solution of QR codes is only supported only from GoPro 7 and greater. Nothing for the previous versions of GoPro...

So yes we read the solution which doesn't resolve the problem for lazy people having a GoPro 5 and 6...

Backpacker

[ New ]

So then you've finally read why protune adjustments were removed.  Did you do anything about it?  Start a petition at change.org for instance and asked that frivolus lawsuit be dismissed?

I love people saying "This is the last GoPro I'll ever buy, I'm buying from the competition in future"..  without realizing the lawsuit (if won) will affect ALL camera users from every company...   

Oh and my "Lazy" comment was direct at people with their head in the sand asking "What's going on?"  "Why was it removed?" "How are we supposed to set up our camera GoPro???"  when this isn't a problem created by GoPro but by someone else.  So why blame GoPro for something they were forced to do.  

Blaming GoPro for this is like being guy that agrees with the the high school bully and is sincerly outraged and shouting "I totally agree with you, I have no idea why I'm hitting myself!!!"  Smiley Wink

Tourist

[ New ]

What do you mean a problem created by someone else? The app I have is developped by GoPro not someone elese. What is the issue of the features removed?!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Read back through the post, you'll find I mention it several times you lazy little........

Tourist

[ New ]

OK got it, it's due to infringing patents. However, GoPro must apply their new solution to all GoPro cameras having the feature in the past. Not only GoPro 7+... That's not our business if GoPro infringed patents, we bought cameras having theses features and they are no longer here. It's like hearing a car manufacturer saying we removed your car radio Bluetooth because we infringed a patent... Man I bought the car with options I wanted so bring me back my Bluetooth. That's not my business... Instead of paying companies for using their patents, they preferred to remove the options. This is a bad idea… It feels like GoPro has out of budget...

Backpacker

[ New ]

OK got it, it's due to infringing patents.

Allegedly.  Have you read the patents in question?  I have.  They contain "smiley faces" as part of the process and phrases like "Packet" without defining a packet.  The description is so broad as to be completely vauge (imho).

However, GoPro must apply their new solution to all GoPro cameras having the feature in the past.

What solution?  There is not solution to this for any GoPro camera new or old.  Are you talking out your behind about GoPro labs features?  Something that requires specific hardware to be present on the camera and takes quite some time to develop and test?  Maybe your Atari ST should have a software upgrade be able to display it's games in 4K @ 60FPS too.  

Not only GoPro 7+...

You're so right, it's not like new features developed are dependent on hardware to support them being there.  Why not also make the Hero 2 now record 4K while we're at it!  Great thinking there!

That's not our business if GoPro infringed patents,

Allegedly..  and since you're complaining about the lack of Protunes you're saying it is your business...... 

we bought cameras having theses features and they are no longer here.

Actually for you to have a legal standing there, GoPro advertising materials would have to indicate the presence of Protune being specifically controlled by the app and through no other method.  Guess what?  They didn't.  

It's like hearing a car manufacturer saying we removed your car radio Bluetooth because we infringed a patent...

Or we need to recall your car and carry out a fix because it's got an airbag that could explode in your face and kill you?  Oh and the airbag we replaced it with will also explode and kill you but we don't have any new airbags and have to meet recall deadlines.  So your car will be recalled again when a new airbag is available (which may or may not kill you, we don't know yet).

Man I bought the car with options I wanted so bring me back my Bluetooth.

Actually, here's what it's really like.  Man buys a car, thinks it's awesome that his phone can integrate into the car via bluetooth and control the sat nav, stereo, take calls, adjust settings such as the a/c etc.  He goes home with his car all happy.  Then he discovers that  no car manufacturer has ever patented this.  He immediately patents the idea and buys the patent under an LLC.  He then goes to the car company the next day and says "You owe me 50% of all your profits from every car you've ever sold that uses bluetooth in this way".  The car company tells him what to go do with himself.  So he gets himself a lawyer and brings the car company to court.  The Judge says "well this is a very complicated case but we should be able to get it settled within the next 10 years or so. In the meantime, since the case isn't settled, I forbid the car company being sued from using this technology until we can sort who actually owns it!".  Now here's the kicker, If this guy wins, he sets precedent as it's been found he owns the technology use (IP).  At which point, not only do the car company owe him quite a lot of money for all the cars they've ever sold that use this, but now they own him money for every car they sell going forward that are going to use this, Oh and they also owe him all the court costs involved.  Also, he can then go to all the other car companies out there who also use the same technology and sue them and claim money for their car bluetooth too.  He stands to make a butt load of cash for doing nothing and he's already won a major lawsuit against an industry leader so that precedent can be used in future rulings.  He wins, everyone else loses.   On the other hand, let's say the car company succesfully proves they don't owe this person anything, his patent isn't applicable as it's a frivolus lawsuit.  Yeah, car company wins and they get to sue him for......... nothing!  You see his patent was registered under an LLC, the LLC sued and the car company only gets to sue the LLC.  The only asset the LLC has is not an unenforceable patent (as it's too broad and isn't worth anything) and the car company doesn't even get court costs (as the LLC doesn't have another single asset).  So that car company is now out hundreds of thousands of dollars defending itself against a lawsuit that had no merit and they can't claim any costs back.  That's the whole case in a nutshell.

That's not my business...

As you can see from the above, it shouldn't be anyone's business, it never should have gone to court, but it did, and thanks to this lawsuit, customers are the ones suffering.

Instead of paying companies for using their patents

If your neighbour patented "breathing" and then decided to sue you for 50% of everything you own as you got it while "breathing" would you just pay up?  

, they preferred to remove the options.

They were ordered to stop using the options until the case was settled.  Not their choice.

This is a bad idea…

It's a bad lawsuit (imho)

It feels like GoPro has out of budget...

They are trying to come up with a solution to a problem they should never have been faced with in the first place.  If someone stole your shoes and wallet and you had to walk home barefoot, is it really because you couldn't afford new shoes?