Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: No Protune In Hero5 Session Camera Menu

[ New ]

I've bought a car. Some time later, my car needed to be serviced. When I came back to pick it up, the wheels were missing. The mecanician told me: now the wheels are removed but you can still go into the car and listen to the radio in climatized fresh air. If you want to travel again, you can, but you need to buy new wheels. At half the price of the car...

Funny Story? Stupid story? No! GoPro did it!

Dear GoPro team,

I have bought the GoPro Hero 5 Session cam because the quality and the reputation was so good. The features of this webcam were very interesting: you can modify the settings on the small screen and when you need more settings, use the phone App. For example, the ProTune feature makes your videos better. IT IS WRITTEN IN THE USER MANUAL!!!

Some days ago, I tried to use ProTune but I didn't find the settings in the App. I searched the user manual and it says where to find it. But on my phone... the setting in not here anymore.

After some reseaches on the GoPro website, I've found the page where you say that you decide to remove this setting. And you say: Oh, but don't worry, there is no problem: if you want to use it again, you can! You just need to buy the Smart Remote for only 80USD.

Seriously?

I thought an update was made to improve the capability and make the experience better. But you, at GoPro, the update removes a very important setting and the only way to have it again is to pay, half the price of the cam.

The improvement is for you bank account only!!!

As I said at the beginning of my message, I have bought the Hero 5 Session because it was possible to improve the quality of the images with the App, using ProTune. As my cam doesn't have this feature anymore, I consider it is a hidden defect. Because the User manual describes the feature, and the cam doesn't have it...

I was wondering about buying the GoPro 9. But on this cam, the setting has been removed too...

I would like to send you the cam back and you refund! I will never buy the Smart Remote. NO WAY! And if you offer me to send me the Smart Remote for free, I don't want it! 

I can't trust GoPro anymore. I will buy the DJI Osmo Action. 100US cheaper than the GoPro 9, same capabilites, and I guess the future updates will be real imporvements for the user, not for GoPro USD wallet.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I use an iphone 6 latest updates all there . who's fooling who GoPro!

Tourist

[ New ]
I won't buy an old iPhone 6, as I won't buy the Smart Remote to have the Proton back! NO WAY! I bought the camera WITH Protune. I would like to be able to use the cam WITH Proton, without giving more money.
Thank you for your answer btw
Tourist

[ New ]
Merci Aragon1006. Vous venez de confirmer que j'ai acheté une caméra avec certaines fonctionnalités qui ont fait pencher la balance vers GoPro, particulièrement Protune. Une fois que j'ai acheté le produit, GoPro retire ces fonctionnalités.

Vous indiquez ensuite que vous développez de nouvelles fonctionnalités, mais vous oubliez de préciser que ces nouveautés ne concernent que les nouveaux modèles (8 et 9) et que jamais vous ne perdrez du temps à développer des nouvelles fonctionnalités pour des modèles qui ne sont même plus à votre catalogue, ma Hero5 en l'occurrence.

À moins que je ne me trompe cher Aragon1006. Seriez-vous en train de nous dire (avec votre "Bonjour tout le monde!" et votre "Merci!" hautement sympathiques et qu'on imagine accompagnés d'un sourire de commercial aux dents blanches) que vous avez retiré une fonctionnalité et qu'on doit "vivre avec" en attendant que vous en remettiez d'autres? Personne ne croira ça!

Au fait, pour être tout à fait complet, je ne dois pas oublier qu'en réalité, il est possible de retrouver Protune sur la Hero5. Il suffit d'acheter la Smart Remote qui vaut 80€. De quoi je me plains?

Bref. J'ai choisi la Hero5 Session pour ses fonctions, dont Protune, et pour la réputation de la marque. Vous venez de me retirer ces fonctionnalités et de perdre la confiance que j'avais en votre marque.

Ma caméra est devenue une caméra bas de gamme avec des images de qualité médiocre puisque je ne peux plus faire de réglages. Vous m'incitez clairement à m'acheter une nouvelle caméra. C'est ce que je vais faire. Mais soyez certain que je n'achèterai pas une GoPro, de peur qu'on me retire des fonctions après coup.

On croyait que l'obsolescence programmée était un mythe. GoPro le fait au grand jour et s'en vante sur son site.

———————— For non french readers ——————

When I wanted to buy a camera, I chose the GoPro Hero5 Session because of its features, including Protune and the very good reputation on the brand. Now, GoPro removes the features. The only way to have them again it to buy the Smart Remote (80€ only). Why complaining?

My Hero5 makes now low quality images because I can’t modify the settings. You encourage us to buy a new camera Aragon1006. Don’t worry, I will. But I wont buy a GoPro one. I promise.

Everyone knows the planned obsolescence. Usually it’s something secret and impossible to prove. GoPro do it at our face.
Tourist

[ New ]
perchè ??? roba da matti
Hiker

[ New ]

You can change the Protune settings with the Camera Tools app, which is available for both Android and iOS: https://www.toolsforgopro.com/cameratools

As a bonus, the app can be used with Bluetooth only which saves battery and keeps your WiFi connection free.

Tourist

[ New ]
I know this Apps and thank you. But that means I have to pay to have the Protune settings back on my camera! It was in the original User Manual... That's disgusting from GoPro!
Sightseer

[ New ]

In my situation, having been actively using protune settings, now my hero5 session is stuck with protune settings for a very bright outdoor shot. I can't change it even if I wanted to now, rendering my camera useless now. Tech support hasn't been helpful either- they just say they're working on a new feature to be able to access those settings in app. But why remove it in the first place? Its extremely frustrating to have bought a camera, just to have features it came with taken away. Very unhappy customer right now.