Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: No LowLight?

Before further unnecessary messages come - here it is described that the Hero 9 has NO low light:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Compare-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394247
But the contradiction is:
HERO8 Black and newer:
The Low Light option can be found in the preferences of your video mode.
see: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Can-I-Turn-Auto-Low-Light-Mode-on-off-via-GoPro-App/ta-p/390236
So far so good and readable in the "small print" ...
I am not complaining either - I was looking for an explanation WHY the Hero 9 no longer has a low light in the menu!

So can someone answer that question for me? If not, stay with your threats and continue complaining there.

Highlighted
Hiker

What exactly did the low light 8 feature bring to the table? i know all gopro's are not good in low light.

can't you create a profile with a higher iso to acheive a similar result?

Highlighted
Nomad

With many tips about blurring in low light, it is suggested, among other things, to activate LowLight.
But that is no longer possible with the Hero 9.
Of course I can try other tips - I was just interested in whether and what LowLight actually brings and, above all, WHY it is no longer available.
Was the feature that bad? Was it not compatible with other settings? Has it been abandoned in favor of another feature?
The previous answer from GoPro "LowLight is not missing, it is just the feature that is no longer available" is unsatisfactory (I feel a little ripped off ...).
I read the "small print" ... I even searched all pages of the Help article for it - I was able to find that the feature no longer exists, just no explanation why!
As I said, I don't complain how bad everything is with the GoPro and threaten to return it etc. - it is how it is, but the question about the reason will be allowed and the expectation of getting a reasonable answer !? I already know that only GoPro can answer this question. But GoPro reads with ...

THANK YOU, however, that we can now discuss properly again!
I'm just always annoyed by these constant complaints and everyone posts a new threat - with which useful questions / answers etc. end up in oblivion in a very short time. That makes a forum unusable.
Basically, this threat has already been "destroyed" - because the opening question is on page 1 - and who is now turning back to it?

Maybe I will get an answer from GoPro, who explain to me "we removed the feature because ....."

Highlighted
Hiker

they have alot of questions to answer - this forum it testimate to it

Highlighted
Nomad

The fact is "Auto low light" kinda takes the "pro" out of GoPro.  For those of you who don't know, all Auto Low light did was automatically adjust your frame rate in low light conditions.  So if you were shooting at 50FPS or above, it would drop it down to 25FPS or 30FPS (depending on your region) in order to allow more light to be captured.  That's all it did.

For those of you shooting at 30FPS or below, the Auto Low light option wouldn't have made a difference as you were shooting at a low frame rate anyway.

When shooting in low light conditions, having the frame rate keep automatically adjusting wasn't that great an option at all as it would often result in bad footage which would include blur, noise etc.  It also sometimes led to issues with playback and editing on certain systems and programs.  

The 2nd best way to eliminate blur in your video in low light is to manually increase your shutter speed while shooting at a low frame rate (and you can read all the debates on this one you want online).  The best way of course is to just add more light.  

So why is auto low light no longer an option?  In all fairness, who the heck used it?  Most people wanting the best picture possible when shooting in low light went and manually adjusted their settings anyway.  So removing it was one less thing the overclocked image processor had to do anyway.

Highlighted
Backpacker

this thread makes me happy - finally the power of teamwork is discovered...

Highlighted
Nomad

MANY THANKS for this explanation!
Threat back on page 3 after 24 hours ... because of all the general whining, but finally an explanation of what LowLight did and why the feature is no longer available!
Would be worth an entry in the Help article!
So that people who want to read the "small print" can do that too ;)

Highlighted
Hiker

io concordo con irishmanpdx, l'auto-lowlight è sempre stata veramente una cosa superflua e pessima che rovinava i video soprattutto in fase di postproduzione. Meglio che non ci sia

Andrea