Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: No GPS signal on HERO 9

[ New ]

@haindash, what about audio pops problem? Will it be solved in this firmware?. GoPro staff is ignoring this issue for some reason. At least for me it's the most important issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

yeah sorry there are bigger issues than apps people don't even talk about or phone editing which is a chore and uses crazy data and phone memory doesn't match that in camera mSDs; let alone seeing your photo's as a background - woohoo........."crickets chirp" .............. ; Overheating and shutting down along with Audio popping should be #1,

please don't sell false hope. time will tell and the track record isn't solid as the FW so far have knee capped the camera each time.

i'm sure you'd like to close many of these threads as they are not a good look but you can't simply sweep the dirt under the rug and think people will forget

Nomad

[ New ]

I have had this problem on multimple GoPro's. I could fix it by leaving it on for atleast 15 seconds and then pressing the record button. This gave the gopro time to find multiple gps signals. For some reason it doesnt try to find signal if there was no signal before recording was started.

Hope this fixes your problem.😊

Hiker

RE: No GPS signal on HERO 9

[ New ]
Hello,
The problem with GPS signals we're talking about and pointing out here is not a simple problem.
I sincerely hope that six days later, on December 17, the firmware of version 1.5 can be solved.
But this is another concern. "What if the problem is not solved after six days?"
GPS signals + Touchscreen Unmanned + Shutter Button Unmanned + Power button During Operation + Can numerous other errors and faults be resolved at once?
To have hope for GoPro?
It could be like waiting for a bird to come back from its home.
But we shouldn't give up hope.
Thank you.
GoPro

[ New ]
@eski79 @andregixxer @marbvd
So this thread is about HERO9 and GPS so my answer is about just that.
Pop audio issues should be discussed in another thread just to make things easier.
It's also a ticket that I am following, and it's still under investigation, I will share if I have news.
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash
"under investigation" dopo MESI.... non vuol dire nulla, dovete essere onesti con noi.

Nomad

[ New ]

@haindash well Gopro don't do incremental updates just a shotgun fix for everything - usually breaking something else in the process.

no one from gopro is active on the popping forums so only made sense to ask here.

Tourist

[ New ]

Breathe in, breathe out is trying to buy time so a refund isn't possible anymore.

My advice: ask for a refund while you can and watch these topics, if the FW solves all the issues you can always buy a new GP9.

/sarcasm

You can always try to reinstall the FW or buy another SD card while waiting for the new FW.

sarcasm/

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi everybody
Good news after update of version v.1.50 at GoPro 9 Hero Black as well GoPro 8 Hero Black.
The GPS signal is well working during the filming. The GPS connection need around 3.second to work after filming start.
I checked this with the telemetry overlay GPS Quick Fix for GoPro Hero 9 Black from Juan Irache.
Mentioned tool works very well and I can you realy recommend.
Is clear you have to pay mentioned tool.
From my point of view it's inexpensive.
Look attachment link.
I recently launched Telemetry Overlay, user-friendly software for adding data overlays to action cam videos https://youtu.be/1a84BawKsvQ
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-insta-dji-garmin-gpx

L.g.
Hermann

Compatible with GoPro, DJI, Insta360, Garmin, Smartphones, GPS trackers and more.Get it here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-...
Backpacker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Updated to last firmware, did some videos today, always waited for the GPS sinal. When downloading to GoPro App on iphone I still don't have telemetry, all greyd out...

such disappoitment Smiley Sad I think I'll ask for warranty 

Hiker

[ New ]
The same to me.....signal ok, have GPS stickers from the top of a SIX floor palace, nothing going around with a motorcycle, and still GPS signal icon on
Nomad

[ New ]

Honestly, some have the "audio problem" - not all (I'm not one of them)! But we all have the GPS problem ...
A problem that affects only a few has to be found in order to fix it! So if GoPro is still investigating this, chances are high it will be fixed as well. NOW I'm happy that GPS is working better.

GoPro

[ New ]

HERO9 Firmware update 1.5 has fixed the GPS issues - many users have reported things are now back to being ok :)

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

This includes:

• Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
  • Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
  • A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
  • Improved GPS lock accuracy.
  • Support for live streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilization, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
  • Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.

Firmware updates are also available for HERO8 Black and GoPro MAX today that increase wireless transfer speeds by up to 15% and 20%, respectively. And these firmware updates for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black and MAX most notably enable compatibility with the latest GoPro accessory, The Remote.

For other issues - please start a new post, this one is quite full now and we may get lost in it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi everybody
A lot of guys reported that the problem GPS connection at GoPro hero 9 Black as well Hero 8 Black are now solved.
That can I confirm, which I have had reported at page number 114 (Handy-System Android)
Also all other Systems works now faster and bettter at version v.1.50

Once again more detail info you can find at my report at page number 114

Lg.
Hermann

@haindash  schrieb:

HERO9 Firmware update 1.5 has fixed the GPS issues - many users have reported things are now back to being ok :)

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

This includes:

• Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
  • Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
  • A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
  • Improved GPS lock accuracy.
  • Support for live streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilization, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
  • Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.

Firmware updates are also available for HERO8 Black and GoPro MAX today that increase wireless transfer speeds by up to 15% and 20%, respectively. And these firmware updates for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black and MAX most notably enable compatibility with the latest GoPro accessory, The Remote.

For other issues - please start a new post, this one is quite full now and we may get lost in it.

Tourist

[ New ]

No it's not solved, tried it yesterday with the 1.5 firmware, waited for the lock GPS icon.
Made 6 videos on 6 different locations, non of them work on iphone GoPro App, the only gauges icon that is available is the GoPro logo.
Start a new thread with the same topic?!?!?

Hiker

[ New ]

Big disappointment. GPS path sticker not working despite firmware upgrade. WTF? 

Backpacker

[ New ]

GX010493_1608558148099.jpg

Before firmware 1.5, this screen would be blank and all I'd get in the editing screen would be "GPS REQUIRED".  

After firmware 1.5, GPS is fully available and working!  

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi. Just a story about the development team and the company that we're talking about in the dictionary is of no use.
Shouldn't you be wondering if your Ver. 1.50 firmware upgrade has solved many serious problems?
You should also elaborate on the obvious solutions to unresolved issues.
Otherwise, it may still be difficult to solve many errors and problems.
"Listen to your comments on the issue, check, analyze, think and improve!"
Thank you.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Guys
Today I checked once more the telemetry data of my Go Pro Hero 9 after diverse filming.
I must determine that the GPS Signal of time to time missing regarding to create Medien in the Go Pro App. The speed meter worked not correct.
I changed to my favorit Telemetry Overlay from Juan Irache
and I had none problem to create the speed parameter.
I can all realy recommend mentiond equiment.
You will have no troubles more in the future.

New! Telemetry Overlay: Video, GPS and Sensors
youtu.be/1a84BawKsvQ
Compatible with GoPro, DJI, Insta360, Garmin, Smartphones, GPS trackers and more.Get it here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-...

exemple:

Screenshot (15).png
Hiker

[ New ]

Went out on an hour-long bike ride on a bright, sunny Texas day. Was hoping I would come back and find the GPS signal and path. No luck. No GPS...I firest tred watching the footage on my iPhone 12 Pro. No dice. Then tried it on my GoPro Quik desktop. Gauges don't work even though I had turned on the GPS. Whatever else version 1.5 might have fixed, I'm afraid it hasn't fixed the GPS issue for me. That's a big disappointment. Come on GOPRO. Fix it already!!!

Backpacker

[ New ]
Why would you try Quik? Software thats discontinued and hasn't been updated in over 2 years, doesn't even support gps on the Hero 8 and doesn't support GPS on the Hero 9?? All you did was import footage into a program thats known not to work with gps data.
Hiker

[ New ]

....alternative in free software to edit and use gps data? Just because my Insta360 doesn't need an external software as GoPro does...

Nomad

[ New ]

Both of GoPro and Insta360 mobile apps can add GPS data to videos. Both of them lack a native solution for desktop computers.

Nomad

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

I also tried it with the GoPro App on my iPhone 12 pro. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Guys
I think I have found the reason why the GPS signal don´t work at GoPro 8 hero as well GoPro 9 hero.
Look attachment

Leopoldine

Screenshot (23).png
Hiker

[ New ]

I think GoPro does´not create the telemetry data more for GoPro 8 as well GoPro 9

Screenshot (24).png
Hiker

[ New ]

So whey then is Version 1.5 touted as having "improved GPS lock accuracy?" 

Nomad

[ New ]

@brilliantspeed Most people that had the GPS accuracy problem on the HERO9 are reporting good results now. If yours is not recording good data, you may want to contact support.

The mobile app generally does a good job at showing the data, but if you want to be a 100% sure that your camera did not record GPS data, you can load your videos here and use the "View Map" option: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Here are some tips to improve the recording of GPS data, in case they help: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Nomad

[ New ]

@leopoldine Even if you add the XML profile of the Hero 8, 9 or Max to Quik, it won't be able to read the GPS data. It's formatted differently

Hiker

[ New ]

I am using iphone app. Forget I mentioned Quik. 

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi, @brilliantspeed

I've been hearing from lots of users now that the firmware update 1.5 fixed GPS issues.
My suggestion would be to try a factory reset on your camera then load again 1.5.
If this doesn't do the trick, please contact our support team.
Tourist

[ New ]

I  updated to FW 1.5 and now the GPS is working for me, but the video lags about 4s behind the GPS data. Sometimes it seems to catch up a bit with the video but then the lag is becoming worse again. Did anyone notice this problem? It is clearly visible when I make a turn and show map and compass data.

Nomad

[ New ]
Myriam, what program is that happening with? Is it a real time video or a time lapse?
Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna wrote:
Myriam, what program is that happening with? Is it a real time video or a time lapse?

Real time video using cinematic 4K-25-L+ setting and GoPro app on iPhone.

Nomad

[ New ]
I see. That should not give you any trouble, maybe you had a weak GPS signal
Tourist

[ New ]

I will do some more tests in an open field, pity they don't show any indication about number of locked sats, signal quality and so on. Next time I will also check solar wind activity.

Hiker

[ New ]
I think it's natural for many users to hear that firmware has updated 1.5 fixed GPS problems.
As you suggested, trying to reset the factory from the camera and reloading 1.5 would be a perfect and quick way to solve the problem.

If this doesn't solve the problem, we'll invest our precious time and effort to contact the support team again. Does the price of purchasing GoPro waste time and effort on product defects?

Please try to solve it.

What's more important than monitoring consumer defects and complaints is improvement.

Thank you.
Hiker

[ New ]
世界のGoproユーザと情報共有するため、英語で作成しました。もっとも、視聴者数を稼ぎたいという思惑もあります(笑)。エクセル3Dマップ動画と同期をとるため、CSVデータをマクロ(VBA)処理しました。ウィーキングログをとるのに、同期していないのは興ざめですから。
Sightseer

[ New ]
I wasn’t getting signal with my camera mounted upside down. I mount it top up and get great signal now.
Nomad

[ New ]

again a well thought out execution by Gopro; i had the same problems with the 9 (outside it thermally shutting down) - sounds like their fresh blood development team have absolutely no idea of what an action camera is for

how can you mount a camera inside your car for best veiwing when your windscreen slopes down without extra arms and elbows (introducing more vibrations)? plus the mount will take up 1/4 of the image.

Gopro have no thought outside the box the sell; as to how its going to be used -  ONCE APON A TIME they did - i miss my 3B+ and 5 that NEVER FAILED - footage was very shaky though when not mounted to a helmet

Hiker

[ New ]

It works well for me.

https://youtu.be/0bte3SA4Ktk