Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Re: No GPS signal on HERO 9

[ New ]

@brilliantspeed wrote:

I have the the third party fix you've linked. Unfortunately, because the H9 GPS is so bad, even the third party fix will not work.

yep.... nothing to do with measurements like these, same all over, time off by 5 years, etc.....and the same along the entire length of  EXIF file....all 428 measurement!!! same Long Lat. for 7min23sec!

as I said GP9 has serious problem as I described earlier in this thread. 

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "GPS Measure Mode"  GX010413_all.txt | wc -l

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro %

the beginning of then file

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "gps date\|gps lat\|gps long\|gps measure"  GX010413_all.txt | head -100

GPS Measure Mode                : Unknown (0)

GPS Date Time                   : 2015:10:18 00:00:00.110

GPS Latitude                    : 46 deg 44' 11.89" N

GPS Longitude                   : 23 deg 29' 26.97" E

GPS Date Time                   : 2015:10:18 00:00:00.990

the end of the file:

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "gps date\|gps lat\|gps long\|gps measure"  GX010413_all.txt | tail -100

GPS Date Time                   : 2015:10:18 00:07:23.960

Hiker

[ New ]

Went for a roughly flat circular walk around a local park, clear sky most of the time and confirmed GPS icon was on.

The trace was shocking, height variation of 600' to 300', path all over the place initially, then a straight line to where I finished.

As usual no way to chat with support, even though as a GoPro Plus member, there is supposed to be Premium Support, whatever that is supposed to be, and no idea how you access it, as options are the same irrespective of being logged in or not.

Backpacker

[ New ]

When you log into your account and then log a call back via support, your request should be flagged as a priorty GoPro plus member.  So yeah, always log in before you use the "Contact Us" option.

Hiker

[ New ]
Just updated to the latest firmware and now my GoPro 9 shows no GPS connection even though the GPS was locked :( i want to return the camera but good luck getting hold of the tech support..
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, the GPS issue in the camera is it Hardware og Software issue ? I need to know if I shall return the camera to the store or wait one more time for a software upgrade. I

Hiker

[ New ]

Medesimo  problema, same behaviour to me

Hiker

[ New ]

I wish someone like DC Rainmaker points out these significant flaws when they do their reviews. When I saw/ready DC Rainmaker before I bought the Hero 9, unless I completely missed it, there was no mention of GPS problems. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

@steffenh261 @redcave84125 

we all have the same dilema... hardware/design issue or only software...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone! Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We hear your concerns and we've already shared this out with the team in charge. We'll definitely post an update regarding this as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi Aenriquez

can your team please put a sticky at the very top of the H9 forum with progress and ETAs on the following issues  - will save your support people a heap of filtering and double ups and us users wanting answers!

COMING sometime soon.......

1. GPS fix
  2. Scheduled captures draining battery so nothing is recorded overnight
  3. Quik update and/or replacement that works with AMD and HVEC - its a $2500 PC Build that Quik won't allow HVEC to be imported.....? my Gopro plus subscription is of absolutly no value and your support team requesting we resort to using Freeware VLC over your paid service with all the tunes we unlock and can't use ........ not a good look
    1. Allowing all videos to record in a H.264 so we can use it for the time being - so many resulitions and framerates are forefeit otherwise
    2. HERO9 Black uses HEVC for the following video modes:Video Resolution Frame Rate (NTSC) Frame Rate (PAL)
      5K30, 24pfs25fps
      4K60, 24 fps50 fps
      4K (4:3)30, 24 fps25 fps
      2.7K120 fps100 fps
      2.7K (4:3)60 fps50 fps
      1080p240, 30, 24 fps200, 25 fps
  4. Media Mod ETA
  5. NEW new Remote replacement ETA
  6. 3.5mm adapter fix
  7. Stock ETA on the next max mod production run
  8. Overheating issues - ie suction mount inside a vehicle with little to no air flow
  9. i'm sure others will add to it 

FIXES DONE

1. screen is much better - refer to this link
  2. less red/green/blue pixes at low iso
  3. etc

I can't beleive the list of issues and shortfalls at launch of a new product and the mess of your official forum (no structure or sub folders to filter through specific neededs) - it's all mashed together which suits a lackluster support system (no phone number or direct email address ---- really????)  - makes your china knockoffs look good.

I SINCERELY HATE THE EXPERIENCE OF THE NEW HERO 9!!!!! in future don't release one every year; just refine what you have to make it the benchmark it once was

Nomad

[ New ]

forgot to mention my Hero8 had many more resolutions and framerates that were accepted by your software. now i have only a select few to choose from that quik will accept

suggesting to use handbrake to convert iHVEC to H264 s not cool - your disclaimer " When converting your HEVC codec video into a H.264 file, you may no longer have any GPS data to display."

Nomad

[ New ]

the rabbit hole with the H9 and quick gets even deeper. 

SOOOO - the Quik software says "NO GPS Data and guages are only availabe on the Karma drone or Hero 5 and newer when GPS is turned on" which it is...... newer than a 5 and feature turned on

searching the forums i find this from Gopro

quik.JPG

HOW MANY ESSENTIAL FEATURES ARE WE LOOSING WITH THIS NEW CAMERA TO ONLY GAIN 2 Cool features (Front screen and HL)??? what the hell is going on behind the scenes there to let all this happen????

can someone please PM or call me from gopro with the paperwork to arrange a 30day satisfaction return of this failure of a product and spare battery (i'll wear the cost of my accessories i bought elsewhere as you had none in stock at the time of purchase) - dispatched from singapore 1st of October invoice number SO-4021759.

i want to buy a 2nd hand HERO 7/8 and use everything we have and see what happens 6-24mths  down the track which may see us jump ship

Tourist

[ New ]

Can confirm this too: Quik is unable to recognize telemetry of Hero9 (in those rare occasions it was actually captured.)

No more Gauges in Quik, folks.

Backpacker

[ New ]
Quik hasnt been updated in 2 years and is legacy software at this stage, of course it doesn't work with the GP9. If you are still using Quik then you shouldn't even own a camera. Its horrible horrible software.
Nomad

[ New ]

thanks Irishman;

the point i'm attempting to get across to gopro is this product launch is so premature it should be classed an abortion. A narrowminded $ grab. There is litterally nothing to use alongside with this camera; hardware and/or software and it's marketed as an end user action camera solution - i was far better off with my 8 which sadly was sold.

i agree Quik is a dog of an app.... so whats the $69 subscription good for outside that a decent discount on accessoriess AND NEVER ENOUGH IN STOCK only to pay crazy freight fees unless you hit their minimum free AU$89 shipping quota; the insurance policy is worthless as i don't trust the camera to use it and record for more than 20min before thermally shutting down unknowingly and it gets so hot i can't hold the mount fingers..... 

there is so much END OF LIFE going on for bits from the H8 and prior -  so much in their stable of products that are "no longer supported"  hardware and software - its like they are going to market with a fresh idea and forgetting their decade long legacy -  now gone ........ it was everything else that made it special

Nomad

[ New ]

they need sticky threads not ones that are 100-1000 posts deep

Tourist

[ New ]

Saludos a todos.

Estoy como vosotros ,a mi me aparece que no hay datos gps ,para sobreescribir las telemetrias encima del video.

He reseteado a fabrica ,actualizado manualmente ,y nada ,no funciona.

Intentare ponerme en contacto con el soporte ,haber que solucion se le puede dar ,porque el plazo de devolucion ha terminado ,pero no el de todos los accesorios adquiridos .

Lastima que GOPRO este usando al usuario final como beta tester

Hiker

[ New ]
I feel your pain :(
GoPro

[ New ]
Sorry about the GPS issues, we know it's really frustrating. The team is working on this as I speak and testing out solutions. The fix we are looking at is a firmware fix.
Backpacker

[ New ]

This is really good news for everyone.  If it's been narrowed down to firmware (which is what some had originally suspected) this means that a fix can be implimented and rolled out.

Thank you to the GoPro support staff for letting us know, it's appreciated knowing that they are looking into this and working on it.

Now everyone stop complaining about lack of GPS and get out there and shoot footage for the GoPro awards........  I mean, which would you rather have?  GPS stickers or a big chunk of change in your pocket?  

Good luck folks and have a great week!

Hiker

[ New ]

Nice to hear, there is going to be a fix. I apreciate it.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@eski79 wrote:
8. Overheating issues - ie suction mount inside a vehicle with little to no air flow

gopro7 was worst in heating in the car.

gopro 8 and 9 have the "natural" coolers, the mounting legs.

these act as a coolers.

if gopro7 was very hot below the lens, gopro8 had the legs hot.

gopro7 powered off due to temperature, gopro8 no, even was hot.

in gopro9 I did not experienced problems with the temperature.

from exif files, 4K 25fps ~ 1 hour in the car with a warmish air blowing on my windshield (I changed some settings, but not more than 10-15 seconds stopped between videos - therefore the 413-420)

26 - to 56 degree Celsius   

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "camera temp" GX010413_all.txt | head           

Camera Temperature              : 26.521484375 C

Camera Temperature              : 26.521484375 C

Camera Temperature              : 26.923828125 C

Camera Temperature              : 26.923828125 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.271484375 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.271484375 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.634765625 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.634765625 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.908203125 C

Camera Temperature              : 27.908203125 C

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % 

@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "camera temp" GX030420_all.txt | tail           

Camera Temperature              : 56.283203125 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.283203125 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.326171875 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.326171875 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.302734375 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.302734375 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.318359375 C

Camera Temperature              : 56.248046875 C

Nomad

[ New ]

I made new tests with a new Hero9. This one recorded much better results than the previous one. Still not like the 8, but usable very often: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/Hero-9-for-telemetry/gpm-p/810747/highli...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've same problem with my gopro. 

GPS doesn't work well and in Quick program I couldn't get any gauges

Hiker

[ New ]

I still can't understand how a basic part of the Hero9 has never worked correctly and all YouTube'rs (DCRainmaker etc.) have never mentioned this.

Nomad

[ New ]

The problem with Quik is different from the GPS signal problem.

Quick has not supported the GPS data in new cameras since the Hero 8. On mobile, use the GoPro App, not Quik, on desktop, here are some alternatives: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna wrote:

The problem with Quik is different from the GPS signal problem.

Quick has not supported the GPS data in new cameras since the Hero 8. On mobile, use the GoPro App, not Quik, on desktop, here are some alternatives: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...

I presume others are referring to the GoPro App when using the quik name, but I have on several occasions had the GoPro App on iOS and iPADOS report that there is no GPS data, yet other tools do find GPS data.  They do show poor GPS data, but still present.

Sightseer

[ New ]

this is how my gopro remember track :)

Screenshot_20201030_130512_com.gopro.smarty.jpg
Backpacker

[ New ]

"I still can't understand how a basic part of the Hero9 has never worked correctly and all YouTube'rs (DCRainmaker etc.) have never mentioned this."

I believe certain reviewers are not actually paid or endorsed by GoPro.  This may lead you to believe they will mention all the flaws with the product but it won't.  A lot of reviewers want to be part of the the GoPro Family and therefore will point out minor issues that may be fixed in the future while avoiding trash talking the product (as that would ruin any future chances of them having a good relationship).

In the case of DCRainmaker, he uses a lot of other devices for his GPS and health feedback, so it really could be just a feature he didn't test as he simply doesn't use it.   What may be of interest is that he often puts his raw footage up in a dropbox for people to download and see for themselves the raw riles.  Might be worth looking to see if his GP9 recorded GPS data.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@escaroubez5 wrote:

this is how my gopro remember track :)

how many time should we repeat:... don't drink and drive!.... 😉👍😃🤨

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi Everyone,

Good news - In case you missed it - as it was said by the GoPro Team here, GPS issues will be taken care of in a coming firmware update: https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Nov. – v1.5 Firmware Release

- Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
- HyperSmooth 3.0 – we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures.
- External Mic – connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
- GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
- Wireless Offload – Faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
- Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.
- What about a Remote Control? – YES, you can use voice commands and the GoPro app to control your HERO9 Black, but sometimes you just need that handy remote to make the magic happen at the right time. We are developing a new Remote Control for HERO9, as the previous GoPro Smart Remote is not compatible. Stay tuned to The Inside Line for availability of the new Remote.
Backpacker

[ New ]

@haindash ...thank you ... looking forward for the good news...

have a good one!

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

Why photo have GPS information but video don't?

Hiker

[ New ]

Good news. Can't wait for this update. Thanks. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Und nun haben wir dereits den 1.12.2020 und kein neues Update wie versprochen!!!

Nov. - v1.5 Firmware-Version

Wo ist und wann kommt diese neue Firmware

Hermann

@haindash wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Good news - In case you missed it - as it was said by the GoPro Team here, GPS issues will be taken care of in a coming firmware update: https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

- Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
- HyperSmooth 3.0 – we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures.
- What about a Remote Control? – YES, you can use voice commands and the GoPro app to control your HERO9 Black, but sometimes you just need that handy remote to make the magic happen at the right time. We are developing a new Remote Control for HERO9, as the previous GoPro Smart Remote is not compatible. Stay tuned to The Inside Line for availability of the new Remote.

@haindash wrote:
Hi Everyone,

GoPro

[ New ]

@leopoldine 

Sorry about that, the firmware update has been pushed to December so that the team can bring in more improvements https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Heads Up: This firmware update is now slated for December. Why? The more we test HERO9 Black in the field and the more feedback we receive from users, the more we identify little upgrades that will have huge impacts on the user experience. In order to provide the best experience, we are holding this firmware update to include as many improvements as possible, which includes:

• Wireless Offload – Up to 20% faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
  • HyperSmooth 3.0 – We’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures. 
  • Slo-Mo Shortcut Introducing a new slo-mo shortcut option for rear display.
  • Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod – Support to bring ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming when using Max Lens Mod.
  • GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
  • External Mic –  Connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
  • Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hallo und einen schönen Tag

Danke für die rasche Rückmeldung und hoffen wir nun, dass alle erwähnten anstehenden Probleme einer Lösung hinzugeführt werden konnten.

Wann voraussichtlich erfolgt die Erscheinung der Firmware im Dezember ??

Leopoldine

Hiker

[ New ]
continuo a non vedere "sistemazione problema POP audio" tra i punti
GoPro

[ New ]
I am sorry Leopoldine I do not have the information of the exact date for the firmware update.
GoPro

[ New ]
@andregixxer this is under investigation.
Hiker

[ New ]
sono 2 mesi che è cosi, sono un programmatore haindash e sono molto preoccupato perchè se in 2 mesi non si riesce a capire se è o meno un problema software significa che si tratta di un grave difetto hardware.
Nomad

[ New ]

i wish you "gopro" forum people are fed information from those working on the product to pass onto users.  (thats if you actually are ACTUALLY employed by Gopro - hence if not i'd understand why you don't know sh1t about what the company is doing - just an offshore call centre showing face thats all) 

You have no more input to other users on the forum which is a bit of a flaw. You of all people should be able to answer the why and when. Not your cookie cut response which is so old its growing on its own arms and legs

Tourist

[ New ]
Giá, I problemi rimangono
Hiker

[ New ]

A question about telemetry problems (GPS data) with the GoPro 8 or GoPro9.
Why is the Telemetry program not used with the GoPro7, i.e. a copy where it works perfectly.
I do not understand why there is no use here.

Leopoldine

Sightseer

[ New ]
J'ai le même problème avec la GoPro 9 que je viens tout juste d'acheter....
GoPro

[ New ]
@fra901 @aherolikeyou @eski79
Firmware update 1.5 is coming up this month, it shouldn't be too long, hopefully.
Sharing exact dates is not a good idea as things can go wrong. Camera Firmware updates are a way more complicated process than App updates which can be done easily once a month or more often for fast bug fixing.
Hiker

RE: No GPS signal on HERO 9

[ New ]
Hello.
The problem of GPS error is a serious problem, but we will have to be patient until the December update.
Even if it's already the latest version 1.22, I recommend you to update it manually, but it doesn't solve the problem.
There may be some help from the customer support team, but you'd better not expect too much.
There are many similar cases here.
We'll see how it's solved, whether it's giving up and waiting.
I hope the problem is solved well.

Thank you.
Nomad

[ New ]

i've worked with tech from PCs to AV for 20+ years with other tech in between and there is a thing called an incremental update - and applied in most products we sell - urgent features get attended to first not a all for one approach

you don't have to amputate a leg to fix an arm

sorry i don't buy it ...... changing code in SC would have nothing to do with Audio and vice versa - looks like a 101 class in buying time for something bigger.....

I have no faith in what is to come in Dec 

GoPro

[ New ]
Posting this here as well

Hi there,

Breath in, breath out...
It will all work out...

Here's the information you are waiting for - which I can now share since it's in this online article:

https://www.redsharknews.com/more-gopro-updates-are-on-the-way

"From December 17th the company will be releasing another round of firmware updates for the HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, and the MAX. These updates will add compatibility for the cameras with the new remote, as well as boosting offload speeds to the GoPro app by up to 30%.

The HERO9 Black will gain:
- Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
- Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
- A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
- Improved GPS lock accuracy.
- Support for Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilisation, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
- Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.
- Compatibility support for The Remote

The HERO8 update will include up to 15% faster wireless offload speeds and compatibility with The Remote.
The MAX will gain 20% increased wireless transfer speeds, The Remote compatibility, and a couple of user interface enhancements."

So 6 more days to wait
And I hope it'll be great
Then maybe away goes
This long thread that I'll close
Moving on to more bugs
I'll be there to give hugs

Cheers! :)
Hiker

[ New ]

Breath in, breath out...

cara @haindash per cortesia evitiamo le poesie di Natale quando ci sono persone che hanno pagato un prodotto che ad oggi non è funzionante e che ad oggi non riceve aggiornamenti per il problema dell'AUDIO che è ben più pesante di quello del GPS la cui risposta continua ad essere "è sotto inverstigazione"

evitiamo poesie
evitiamo sorrisoni a 100 denti

siamo tutti sinceri e parliamo di come stanno effettivamente le cose

a me non interessa nulla di acquistare un nuovo telecomando per foraggiare GoPro quando potevano funzionare tranquillamente quelli già in nostro possesso...che adesso diventano spazzatura...

e non mi interessa poter comandare una gopro che ad ogni registrazione registra male l'audio...

va bene come sincerità ?

Andrea