Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: No GPS signal on HERO 9

[ New ]

Indeed, if GP just had a sticky thread "Hero 9 Black Known Issues" listing the problems e.g. clicking audio, where is my SD card and no GPS data with details of what they are doing to resolve them.

This could save our time searching and GP answering the same questions over and over again.

Hiker

[ New ]

I had the same problem with my Hero5, very unpredictable, it sometimes works but more times, it does not. I bought the Hero9 now but the same thing happens, only once I managed to insert the data on a clip.

Apperently, there is a program to force extract the gps data from the clips but we have to pay for it. I understand this, because it is a third party program but I am sure Gopro could come up with some thing similar, at least, I assume something even better!

Nomad

[ New ]

@im35461 and you really think this would help?
There are tons of threats on many topics - nobody is willing to join this threat with the same problem / question, but opens a new threat ... Because everyone does that, a question goes to page 10 in the forum within hours, where it is no longer Is found ...
Then there is still
https://community.gopro.com/t5/de/tkb-p/kb-de 
apparently nobody looks in there either - because some problems are described there ...

this is certainly also due to the support policy. No email, just chat that often doesn't work, no callback etc.
So you write in the forum ... "where is my order?" or similar and complains about a lack of support ... and real problems / questions / solutions get lost in it ...

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey Oliver that link doesn't work. i can't get any GPS data out of my footage either. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Oliver, yes I think a sticky listing known issues would help and could not make it any worse :)

I myself have not started a new thread on the issue but as you say there are several.

And yes I have seen the thread in the telemetrics group seems to be hidden from plain view.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/Hero-9-for-telemetry/gpm-p/724365

Hiker

[ New ]

If there's some way we can escalate the matter to the decision makers, that might make a difference. Otherwise, I'm afraid, this is going to die here and there will be no solution. I'm speaking from experience...the desktop Quik software stopped processing performance stickers, there were lots of complaints and threads started in the Support Hub, GoPro respondents promised us that they were working on a fix, and then? That's right. Nothing happened. I'm really disappointed that I went and bought a GoPro 9. Will buy Insta next time. I feel I'm done with giving GoPro my hard earned money. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Went for an hours bike ride with GPS enabled, and exactly the same issue, the app says no GPS.

Dashcam Viewer (brilliant app), does find some GPS info, but so inaccuratethat it is almost worthless.

Nomad

[ New ]

It already has been escalated to the "right" people.  I specifically mentioned the issue directly to the beta group and got them involved here.  So far they have been the one giving the most direct and honest answer about things.  Having said that, being an employee of GoPro, there's only so much information they can divulge up front.  Their answer was as follows:

"

The information I have is that the issue some users may encounter with GPS is not hardware related - switching camera won't make a difference. The team is working hard on a fix as we speak - I do not have a timeframe nor date, this is an on-going investigation and testing to find a solution.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your support. "

I was surprised to hear it was not a hardware issue myself due to the fact there are a rare few out there who claim to get good GPS information.  Do I believe this person did in fact give the information to the team?  Yes, absolutely.  Do I believe they are investigating the issue?  Absolutely.  Do I think it's a priority?  I think it's one of them... but maybe not the top one.  They are probably hard working on the mic adapter issue as well as the sound quality issues that some users are experiencing.  I also think the same team works on the GoPro Player, The GoPro App, the GoPro Firmware, The GoPro webcam....... so a lot of things get juggled around priority wise.  

In the meantime, there is a 3rd party solution out there for GPS issues, however for it to work, there has to be some sort of GPS data to be recorded and if it's all inaccurrate, then the software, as excellent as it is, it's just not capable of doing magic.  So go to the website, run the free software to see what type of GPS info your GoPro is recording:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

One more thing, I tried looking up information via the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 9 tear down.  There doesn't seem to be any change in the GPS chip that was used, so unless the redesign is actually blocking the reception, I suspect that the issue could indeed be a firmware issue with the data simply being so garbled it is either not recorded or recorded inaccurately.