Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: No GPS signal on HERO 9

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @aherolikeyou

We'd like to check on this further.

Can you help us with the following information: Camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

Thanks!

Ej

hi @aragon1006 

there are plenty of reports the GPS data is missing.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Does-hypersmooth-kill-GPS/m-p/751008#/M167100

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-GPS-Stickers/m-p/751018#M167107

in the EXIF I see a lot of missing GPS data.

the GPS precision goes from 3-D to 2-D or unknown (where the error is > 100m)

thank you,

robert

Highlighted
Backpacker

.... @aragon1006 and Yes, I do not start the filming unless the GPS icon is light.

Highlighted
Backpacker

... @aragon1006 in hero8, where the GPS stickers were working flawlessly, I see valid (3-D) GPS measurements every second!

Highlighted
Nomad

Simple fact is that the GPS on the Hero 9 does not work.  I have done a side by side with a double mount using a GoPro 8 and GoPro 9.  Both GPS icons lit up to indicate they were receiving GPS.  At that point I started both camera's recording footage.  The GoPro Hero 8 recorded GPS as per normal.  The GoPro Hero 9 however did not record GPS and only had one GPS point stored in the file, the GPS location of where I started my journey (which was about 5 minutes  before I started recording).  

It seems that the GoPro Hero 9 has some very serious issues indeed.  GPS not working, reports of hot pixels using ISO 400 or less, no preview on app when recording, no support for the GoPro Mic Adapter, No smart remote capabilities (and yes, GoPro have stated many times that there is a new remote coming, but it's interesting that the remote and mic adapter both appeared to work before GoPro's firmware update).  

As much as I love GoPro and respect the support staff here, the GoPro Hero 9 has been a very big let down so far.

Highlighted
Backpacker

... @aragon1006 ...sorry I give you sequencial information, as cross my mind.

when hypersmooth is off, seems that GPS data are more consistent.

@leranta  observed and tested the issue.

in my tests:

• without Hypersmooth
    • 68 measurements 
    • 8 unknown
    • 88% accurate
    • GPS stickers can be used
  • with Hypersmooth
    • 43 measurements
    • 35 unknown
    • 18% accurate
    • GPS stickers cannot be applied

hope this helps,

robert

Highlighted
Hiker

This is definitely welcome.
If hypersmooth affects GPS accuracy, it is possible that this is some software problem.
That can help.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]
Highlighted
Nomad

Yes. I have talked to many users and only a couple seemed to have good GPS data on the 9, even following best practices. Could still be a coincidence, as I still get I good video every 15 or so. Let's hope it's firmware and not hardware. The fact that they have not included any GPS fix on the upcoming firmware updates does not seem a good sign.