Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

No GPS Data on Gopro MAX

[ New ]

How can I export 360 Videos so they can be processed on the PC and preserve GPS information?

When I use GoPro Player, it removes all GPS info in the clip.

Many thanks

Kay

GoPro

Re: No GPS Data on Gopro MAX

[ New ]

Hello, @kayh28. For 360 media captured when GPS is enabled, make sure to check the "Retain GPMF Data" under the Export Settings Advanced option when doing the export. See the image below for reference. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya ,

that is exactly what I am aiming for, but I cannot select it. (like in your screenshot) - it is deactivated.

How can you select it?

thanks,

Kay

GoproPlayerGPSExportNotAvailableIssue.png
Backpacker

[ New ]

Switch your codec to Cineform and see if the option becomes available.

Hiker

[ New ]
No, in none of the option it can be checked
Tourist

[ New ]

I am unable to tick "Retain GPMF data" no matter which format or quality I select. This problem has been persistent and there seems to be no alternate solutions, as I just end up with more file formating issues.
Kindly fix this. GoPro max was supposed to provide a simpler workflow.
GPMF data is absolutely crucial to the project as it has to go to streetview and it cannot work without gps data.

Kindly fix it ASAP.

Untitled.png
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya ,

any update or advise on this?

thanks,

Kay

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya or somebody else from GoPro,

*ping*

going silent means something like:

"Yeah, we know it's not working - dear customer, but we will not tell you upfront. In fact on our webpage and the tech specs we told you that GoPro Max features GPS -and it does- but you cannot use it, HAHAHA. It was intended to be supported but because our software was crappy, we stopped all development and all of our software with GPS capabilities is no more supported, that's a good trick isn't it? Just waste your time with all the third party tools, that also don't work - and that we of course also do not support. So blame them. Yeah, you heard right: It doesn't work, forget it. There's also no plan to improve that. At least no plan that we will share with you. That is because we had plans in the past but we never delivered. And because we have learned from that, we will not make any promises any more because we know it will probably never work. We got your money, now leave us alone and don't complain. We don't care about our customers."

?

Thanks, Kay

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya @GoPro

anybody out there?

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies for the delayed response, @kayh28. We have just checked with the team. Unfortunately, we do not have an update as to when retaining GPMF data in the GoPro Player will be enabled again. We will definitely post about it once we have new information. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the information @mariustanya @GoPro . Nevertheless it's a bit strange to offer checkboxes in an actual supported software that can't be checked... I guess I do not need to mention that User Experience is a success criteria in software development... 

While I understand that the development of the reframing functionality in GoPro Player was a huge task - which is well done and works for me while not yet being really stable-, I do not get, why copying data from one stream to the other is a feature that even needs to be discussed. That should be a "no-brainer" as it can be implemented without effort.

So unless there's a hidden agenda at GoPro that you do not want to implement that by design, I think it could just be added with the next patch... People are missing it and you know from other posts (and by just doing google search) that I am not alone here.

It is also misleading people in the decision making process. I did check some screenshots of the Player in order to understand which functionality I could expect. And then I found that what is shown is simply not implemented.

it doesn't let GoPro shine and I really expect some solution in the not too distant future - and especially before GoPro Player is deprecated ;) 

thanks

Kay

GoPro

[ New ]

The feature was deactivated deactivated due to an issue on trimmed files when merging all tracks. We appreciate the feedback, @kayh28. We will pass this along to the team. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

That is lame.  There are so many problems with this camera.  It is not fit for sale.

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

As I do not merge tracks, can you please provide the last software for me with the feature being enabled?

I merge in Davinci, so that issue is not relevant for me.

By the way there's an issue with trimming in the actual version also: Audio does a crazy loop, sounding strange, of around 500ms on every clip that I trim and export to MP4 via GoPro Player.

So when merging, I need to remove 500ms on the beginning of each clip.

thanks

Kay

Sightseer

[ New ]

If you do not record the GPS data in the videos that you advertise to the customer that the camera does, then this is false advertising and selling a product to someone that you are not providing.   This was a large decision point that several people made over the Insta360 which seams to be a better choice as this camera does not do what it says it is capable of doing.

Backpacker

[ New ]

It's not false advertising as the ads show the GPS data being used coming from the GoPro app (which fully supports GPS data).  The problem in this case is the user wants to convert the video file into another format and retain GPS data (which in all fairness is something Gopro does not advertise so it's not false advertising).  GoPro should support this and I believe they do with the Mac version of the desktop software, but with the PC version it was disabled due to sync issues with the data.  

Hiker

[ New ]

From a legal standpoint, no, its not. From a user expectation standpoint, given that we live in 2021, I have to admit, it is.

Just figured out today, that GoPro Player only supports english characters otherwise World lock doesn't work. GoPro software really sucks. Even Lotus Notes is better.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi everyone, I work with street view photography on a bike infrastructure project and want to share some experience I've gathered over the project. If you are on a Mac you'll be able to include GPS metadata in .mp4 video format (.mov is currently not supported). 

For Windows user your best starting point is to use the free software GoPro Telemetry Extractor. This software lets you extract GPS data from .360 files into multiple GPS formats (GPX, KML etc.). Just make sure your GoPro video files have good GPS data to begin with. Always check if the GPS icon on your GoPro is white and not greyed out before recording. Never quick start a recording if you need the GPS data. From there I would see if I could find a software that can bake that GPS data back into the video-file you'll get on Windows when exporting from GoPro Player. I'm on a Mac, so I have no experience with Windows software, but here are some suggestions.

GSV2JPG lets you split 360 videoes into .jpg-files. You'll have to ask the creator for access to his Google Drive, where you can download his software (seems fishy, but I promise he's legit). Follow the links, an you'll eventually get to his site. With this tool you'll have every frame of the video geotagged. This is nice if you want to upload the 360 footage to Google Street View, OpenStreetCam, or Mapillary.

If you need the GPS data for a video file, I also believe DashWare lets you input GPX data. It's a free software after GoPro aquired the whole DashWare team to work for GoPro. Just extract GPS data from the Telemtry Extractor and feed it into DashWare, and I think that will fix your problems. (again, I'm on a Mac, so please update me if it doesn't work). 

Edit: if anyone's interested in my workflow for Mac users let me know. Getting GPS to video-files is easy as GoPro Player does it natively, but extracing the video files frames and retaining GPS data for each frame is another story.