Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

Got the New hero 8 and I turned on the GPS and on my video clips that were taken outside it says there is no GPS data is this a known bug or is my camera Defective 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

A factory reset and so card format fixed the issue 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, received my HERO 8 this week and have tried the GPS and it works, but only if the GPS icon is solid which means you have a GPS signal. It might not be as good as dedicated GPS devices.

all the best, Rickard

Highlighted
Explorer

A couple of things about this.
First, the GPS is only going to work well in open areas AND when there are enough satellites for the camera to lock onto. KP index can also cause issues.

Second, the app was recently updated and par of that update was increasing the threshold for acceptable GPS data when using the overlays. This might seem backwards, because now less videos that actually do have GPS data can actually display it. But, the reason is because the threshold used to be so low that people were getting wildly inaccurate results (going 60 MPH when parked, flying planes 2 meters off the ground, ...). GoPro is continuing to fie tune the app, so it will be more accurate and effective.

Lastly, a member created a metadata extractor that you can use. It will pull any data captured by your camera. You can find it here
https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

Be aware. The GPS icon not only needs to be showing, but it also has to be lit showing a connection. It works best if you wait about a minute AFTER seeing it has a connection before you press the Shutter to record. Quick Capture will give limited results.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Mine is doing the same thing, I can't seem to get the gps to work outside even after waiting for the gps light to come on. When I bring it home and upload the footage to Quik desktop, it says no gps data.

Highlighted
Tourist

Its a bug if your using Quik for Desktop, it wont display GPS data under Adjust Gauges.  You will need to use your mobile phone - gopro app, and there you can use Edit, Stickers, these can add your GPS data - speed, etc, if this is what you are after.

I have also tried playing with Dashware (no go) and RaceRender (displays speed only) and GoPro Telemetry Extactor... although they can extract the data OK, they cant read it properly... I think we need to wait for someone to create a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml DataProfile...

Highlighted
Tourist

A factory reset and so card format fixed the issue 

Highlighted
Tourist

Strange, I was advised that by Support and made no change in Quik for Desktoip (this wasadvised to be uninstalled and reinstalled as well).

As I said, GPS is attached to the Video, as it works in the mobile GoPro app, just not the Quik for Desktop.

So is it working in your Quik for Desktop ok?  Mines Windows, is your a Mac?

Highlighted
Tourist

Same problem...Turning on the camara, waiting 5min before starting recording, GPS is white. When i try to add the speed stickers after recording it says no GPS data. Factory reset and formating didn´t work