Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

GoPro uses the UBlox UBX-M8030-CT GPS receiver in their cameras. This is a high quality GPS receiver https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/ubx-m8030-series

Bad data can and will happen. The camera is just receiving that data and saving it as metadata in the media. GoPro doesn't control NASA and Russian satellites. Before GoPro increased the threshold, there were more post about the apps displaying inaccurate data than there are now post about no data.

@fireyflash16
I've read plenty of your rage post and have also seen plenty of people who have tried to assist you with workable solutions. The mobile app was recently rebuilt from the ground up and has been receiving frequent updates. Although GoPro has spent millions on the mobile app division and the GoPro mobile app engineers are obviously working very hard to improve the entire app experience, the GPS portion still needs fine tuning (it does work, but requires very accurate satellite data).

I get the idea that you paid for the camera and software as they are part of the GoPro ecosystem, but GoPro's Dashware and even the Mobile app (Quik Story) are free and since they work with videos captured with other cameras, no, you did not pay for them when you purchased the camera.

You seem to want to imply that I am a GoPro employee or that I'm using standard texting (whatever that means). Nope, big swing and miss there pal. GoPro took all your money? Sorry to hear about your dire straits. If you think that GoPro is some huge company making money hand over fist, again you are way off mark. With less than a thousand total employees world wide and several years of not making a profit (the founder and CEO doesn't even make a salary), GoPro is hardly the big mean corporation you seem to think they are. Interesting that your business acumen leads you to think that spending money in marketing somehow hurts the ability for innovation . Just a little info for you, but GoPro spends an almost equal amount on R&D as they do on marketing. Marketing = Sales and Sales = $$ for R&D.

As far as GoPro support advising to exchange the camera... Well, unfortunately the front line support employees are not always the most informed. It's unfortunate for sure, but I have noticed that sometimes you can get a rep that isn't as well informed as others. Instead of exchanging the camera, the first step should just be to check and see if the user is giving the camera enough time to acquire a GPS signal before starting a recording. Using an app like UAV Forecast can also give an indication of how likely it will be that good data will be received. If the user is in an open area with the camera unobstructed and there is a high probability of 9 satellite locks or more with a low kp index, AND the camera is given at least 1-5 minutes after the GPS icon shows connection, then GPS data should be captured. If the app does not display the GPS stickers, then checking the GPS metadata with the GoPro Telemetry Extractor https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/ can let you know if it is a camera issue or just the app not accepting the data. Obviously, if it's not the camera, exchanging the camera wont improve the situation.

@fireyflash16
This is a member to member support community. You can rage post all you want, but it's not going to get you any closer to the solution you want. If I offer up a little history of the app and GPS data, it's just that. Who are you to tell me to stop? Only your angry incoherent post are allowed?
Hiker

woww... @danielr15 ... so mucht text... must have time...

just short:

1. dont agree with you
  2. gopro app and desktop are free?? no, they're not. they are included when i buy this cam and always promoted as official app. just see and refer https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero8-black/CHDHX-801-master.html/#hero8black
  3. seems that you are not really up to date to my posts...  https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-... concerning the subject "Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges" tells all the story including that i used already the well known thirdparty and free tools
  4. so stop telling that i wont use the help from others...  i've done all the recommandations and support stories
  5. i don't care about's ceo's salary. for sure he will not work for free....
  6. and when you would be well informed read my posts and steps i already made
  7. and thank you about "help" using and understanding gps... i am pretty good on the track with all existing positionings technologies...

have a nice day and enjoy

Explorer

How long did that take you? Took a very brief amount of time for me to write my thoughts in the post above. Sorry if you find it more difficult to do so.

Anyway, it's fine if you disagree, but your comprehension is lacking. I never said that you weren't using help from others. Your example of the app being something you purchased when buying the camera in no way validates your position. It's a free add on, sure, you can look at it that way if you wish, but it's not something that comes with the camera. Believe it or not, plenty of people who use GoPro cameras that never download or use the app. The Media Mod, Display Mod, and Light Mod are also shown. Did you get those too? You apparently DO care about the money GoPro is making, you keep bitching about, " gopro takes all our money and they threw millions in marketing". Your welcome for the advice on using and understanding GPS. I hope it helps.

To be clear, you are the one who went out of his way to attack my post. You started off your rant with, "are u kidding??? serious?? there are a lot of gopro support employees here..." apparently trying to imply that I am a GoPro employee. You are the one trying to dictate what others can post. "stop this well known standard texting."...ummm, how about, no.

I've never written that the Quik Destop app is great or doesn't need work. I also did not say anything similar about the mobile app. Your self centered view seems to have made you think that my original "history" was directed only to you. It wasn't. What I wrote is true. There were far more complaints about bad GPS data being displayed than what the forum is seeing now regarding no GPS data. For most people, the initial concern about not getting GPS displayed is whether or not the GPS sensor in the camera is working or not. My comment was aimed primarily at addressing this concern and also to offer a little explanation as to why the data is not showing currently. Of course, once people know whether or not the camera is collecting the GPS data they want to know how to get it into their videos, but suggestions for this have already been made in this post and elsewhere. As I've stated, You can learn more about it, and how to use the data, in this group https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

I am in no way saying that the Desktop or mobile app are perfect and flawless (although the mobile app is getting better and better with frequent updates). However, this is a member to member support community. If you just come here to rage post, fine, but that's not what most people are looking for. If you want to give feedback for GoPro, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback

You don't need to attack my comments just because you're angry at GoPro. I'm not an employee, I don't own stock in the company, and I don't develop the software. You might not find my post helpful or having any value, but perhaps it will be of value to someone else. Maybe not. Either way, you turned this into a silly back and forth between the two of us. Let it go.

BTW, it took about 3 1/2 minutes for me to write this (and I was interrupted twice while doing so).
Adventurer

this did not fix my GoPro App GPS gray issue guys.  while on my camera t is WHITE how long do I wait for the fix.

DOcument, talk, debate. its not Sunday! and the Comics are out.

Adventurer

Adventurer

Thank you GoPro GPS today worked PERFECT.  Please help these other  people out.

Sightseer

Is anyone from Gopro helping you with this? I only bought this gopro for the GPS feature and I can't get it working either.
Adventurer

Who you referring that question to.   

Last update was Nov 16th on the App, nov 25th on the  camera and  I did try this before, but today it worked so I cahulk it up to FW 1.50 working and reflashing say a few times.