Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

Same situation, GPS is on (white icon) ... but no GPS data in Quik app (desktop/mobile)... I can extract it but not for ~400euros... They should focus much more on reliability than on marketing... Cat Mad

Adventurer

GoPro knows the issue is there.  You think GoPro can address it by allowing it to work at  the least, while they fix it?  No they don't want you to have a troublesome experience.   GoPro  wont say its fixed its in teh New App they simply KEEP SILENT! how  companies work if they spoke up then people DITCH goPro

Sightseer

I was able to get the data using Virb Edit and https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/#

So the date is there migh be something with the actual software?

Explorer

Just a little history.

The Quik Desktop app and the GoPro mobile app used to accept, and display, any GPS data that was captured by the camera.  There are many factors that go into the ability to capture accurate data (read more about it here), so just capturing isn't enough.  The reliability of the data is very important.  Back when GoPro was allowing all data to be accepted and used in the apps, people were complaining about inaccurate data.  Sometimes it could be wildly off and was basically useless.  To improve the user experience (not getting bad results and inaccurate data) GoPro increased the threshold for acceptable data.  All GPS data streams have a reliability category.  If, for example, your camera only has a few satellites locked and the data streams are not always consistent, then the reliability level drops.  With the new changes, this shows as GPS not Available when you try to add these gages/stickers to your video.  Since GPS was captured, you can use 3rd party apps, like the amazing GoPro Telemetry Extractor created by GoPro member @kajuna, but you should be aware that the data might not be 100% if it doesn't display in the GoPro app (although you do also get a lot more data to inspect and play around with). If the data does show with the GoPro app, then the data extracted with the GoPro Telemetry Extractor will be equally as reliable.

GoPro has stated  that they are evaluating the best way to handle the GPS data so that it can be accurately displayed through gages/stickers in the GoPro app.  There have been hints that a new desktop app is in the works, but this is completely unverified.  If true, however, it would explain the lack of changes to the desktop app recently.  As far as the mobile app (Android/iOS), these are continuously being updated at a pretty steady pace.  The effort has been primarily on the editing aspect of the app, but GoPro has stated that improving the GPS stickers is on their radar (and has recieved some attention with the latest update).

Sightseer

hello and i have the same problem with gps it says yes and when i process clips with quic there is no data from gps and i also have 360 ​​degrees by turning it to shoot the videos are head down. Please fix it.
Explorer

This is a member to member support community. We are not GoPro. If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Hiker

are u kidding??? serious?? there are a lot of gopro support employees here...
and by the way: do you really wanna know what support said/wrote regarding this issue?? go back to the retailer and exchange the device....
no more words needed....
Hiker

history?
stop this well known standard texting. gopro takes all our money and they threw millions in marketing instead deliver propper software.

its totally regardless if the develop new software... i paid for the cam and software... and this have to run....