Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ New ]

Is thre a step by step. to that  Quick Desktop, making GPS work? and  where?

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-...

Hiker

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ New ]

The steps didn't work for me.  And, for the record, this is what I did:

1. 'Factory reset Hero 8
  2. Reformatted MicroSD Card
  3. Downgraded Hero 8 to FW 1.20
  4. Stayed in the middle of an open area for 5 minutes, clear sky, solid white location icon, made sure GPS is on.  And started the ride.
  5. Mode used was Looping at 1440p 60fps
  6. Uninstalled GoPro Quik, removed all temp files and registry keys with GoPro on it, then restarted.
  7. Installed GoPro Quik on my Windows 10 (v1903) computer. Copied Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file to C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\
  8. Restarted.  Connected my Hero 8 via USB.  Resynched media folder.
  9. Copied the file from the ride earlier (see step 4 above)
  10. Tried putting in GPS stickers, still no go.
  11. Connected to Android GoPro app using wireless and copied the same media file.
  12. Tried putting in stickers using the android app and still no go.
  13. Posted here to rant.

Any other ideas?

Nomad

[ New ]
Does your video contain GPS data?
Hiker

[ New ]

Yes it does.  I was able to extract it via https://goprotelemetryextractor.com.

I tried Dashware and that wasn't much help, either.  Trying RaceRender now.

Hiker

[ New ]

I was able to find 2 desktop solutions to the problem using different software on my Hero 8 (FW v1.5).

RaceRender (using the free version) -- works out of the box, however:

• You will need to properly set video output settings, otherwise it will default to a lower bitrate and resolution right out of the Hero 3 era
  • Ensure you are picking the right templates, some have MPH or KPH hardcoded, regardless of what you've chosen on the settings
  • RaceRender watermark cannot be erased unless you pay for the free version
  • Rendering anything over HD is an exercise in patience
  • Videos are limited to only 3 min in length on the free version

Dashware -- wiil not work out of the box for some of us (me, included)

• Video must NOT be in HEVC, otherwise, Dashware won't support it
  • Data extraction won't work out of the box for many, if it doesn't:
    • Go to https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/
    • Upload your video file
    • Extract the data in GPX format, save it on your computer
    • Go to Dashware and choose the save GPX file as your data logger (choose GPX as the data profile)
    • Add your video file to Dashware
    • Go to the Synchronization tab and put a check on 'Sync with Video'
  • Create the video

Further info:

Hero 8 Black (FW 1.5)

Dashware version -- 1.9.1

RaceRender version -- Free 3.7.3

Video resolutions used: 1440p and 2.7k

Framerates tested: 24, 30 and 60 fps

Hiker

[ New ]

as said, it can also work with quick with two small hacks (old firmware and additional configirations files for hero 8).

The other ways will/should work, but what a huge workflow to get things you can get much easier Smiley Surprised

Don't know internet speed in your area, but if i'll start to transfer my video files (sometimes 2 hours/day in 4K) to the net just to get my gpx files back to transfer them in a third party software....., i'm old and grey before having my first complete clip.

Again, if Gopro sells his cams with the highlight "GPS", they sould/have to offer a solution to work with this data not only on a smartphone (what a ridiculous imagination to me to work with video content on a small screen with limited memory and a limited amount of computing power) OR to format the embedded data in a way, other common software can handle it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Agreed. The workflow is a pain in the ass for something that should be a lot simpler.

As for the hacks (downgrade to FW1.2 + insert Hero8BlackGPMF.xml) to get Quik to work, it didn't work for me, which is why I had to spend an entire day just trying to get a workable solution.

I'll try it on FW 1.6 tomorrow.

Nomad

[ New ]

@rapidboost72256 Just to clarify, your video is not uploaded when using the Telemetry Extractor to convert to GPX (or any other format). The data is extracted in your browser.

Adventurer

[ New ]

googledrive  the two files needed. that help out.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here! Did the same steps and yet no go. 

The only solution that worked for me was while on Camera Firmware 1.50 and videos recorded on that version. I have followed this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSwlsFjytE&t=1s

However, when I saw that the camera has a firmware update, I have runned it. Now, on version 1.60 with videos recorded on it, the fix has not worked anymore. 

It's sad that we spend that much money for the "best" action cam, and one of the main features is only a functional one when buying a third party software or exploring "hacks". 

I wonder when GoPro is going to pay some attention to H8 users and fix this glitch.

If you have enabled gps on your GoPro but still cannot enable telemetrics in Quick then you need to watch this video!GoPro Hero 8 GPS not working? Quick Fix ...
Sightseer

[ New ]
editting... it was on fw 1.20, not 1.5 as mentioned.
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Why do you keep promoting a member created tool that the member profits from, rather than fixing the issue of us being able to use the data and telemetry features that are already built into the multi hundredred dollar camera we already invested in.

Tourist

[ New ]

The data is there - I can extract it direct from the video using RaceRender but that defeats the purpose of me buying a camera with an app and built in data stream.

I was using a regular action camera with an app on my phone, then just had to sync the video to the data.

There is a bug that does not allow Quik to see the GPS data in the video file - but instead these forums constantly promote a "member made" tool that you have to pay for to get that data.

Here is a video I made using RaceRender - https://youtu.be/JhKGgXL1KJk - all the GPS is taken right from the cameras video stream that Quik told me was not there.

I just downloaded a royalty free Rock loop and dropped the wind noise to 10.  There is no video editing -- that is all the built in stabilization of the Hero 8. That feature of it is AMAZING!

You'll sometimes see my phone on the bottom right -- its doing a secondary data logging, JUST IN CASE the camera gets a scrambled satellite lock, I dont loose all my telemetry.

I just wish they would fix it.  It took me 8 hours to render 16 minutes of video.

Finally got it all put together and get the editing done with the GPS overlays and a great Rock Music loop....Post-Storm ride to meet up with the family afte...
Tourist

[ New ]

RaceRender works great --   see my post here:

The data is there - I can extract it direct from the video using RaceRender but that defeats the purpose of me buying a camera with an app and built in data stream.

I was using a regular action camera with an app on my phone, then just had to sync the video to the data.

There is a bug that does not allow Quik to see the GPS data in the video file - but instead these forums constantly promote a "member made" tool that you have to pay for to get that data.

Here is a video I made using RaceRender - https://youtu.be/JhKGgXL1KJk - all the GPS is taken right from the cameras video stream that Quik told me was not there.

I just downloaded a royalty free Rock loop and dropped the wind noise to 10.  There is no video editing -- that is all the built in stabilization of the Hero 8. That feature of it is AMAZING!

You'll sometimes see my phone on the bottom right -- its doing a secondary data logging, JUST IN CASE the camera gets a scrambled satellite lock, I dont loose all my telemetry.

I just wish they would fix it.  It took me 8 hours to render 16 minutes of video.

Finally got it all put together and get the editing done with the GPS overlays and a great Rock Music loop....Post-Storm ride to meet up with the family afte...
Sightseer

[ New ]

My I receive coupon too? 

Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black (A GIANT STEP BACKWARDS FOR GOPRO)

[ New ]

What a pathetic product I bought when I got the GoPro HERO 8. Actually the wifey bought it for Christmas and I am finally getting to use it along with my GoPro 5 mounted front and back on my racing bicycle. Only problem is, very first video says NO GPS data yet I know it's there. A couple of hours reading forums and I see GoPro knows the data is there but is passing it off to some third party hack software developer who will scrape the GPS data, or more accurately, convert it to a form that Quik will recognize for $50. What JOKE. Also, decided to plug the HERO 8 directly into my television with the micro HDMI connection only to find out that has been pulled. So far the HERO 8 is a giant and expensive step backwards.

Hiker

[ New ]

This topic started in October 2019 LOL !!!!!!!! after nearly 10 months there is no solution from gopro... Im glad I returned my both gopro 8 black I purchased !

Hiker

[ New ]

yeah.. totally agree... still have mine but will sell it until dji release their new hopefully with gps....   still issues with 5ghz wifi (never able to connect), gauges, battery drain, unexpected on off beeps around the day/night, heating up the cam and and and...

and btw... theese dashware guys announced since feb 2020, that they working for gopro to build some killer future products...  hahaha...  not any news since then... even no new firmware

Nomad

[ New ]
The Dashware announcement is from 2015 or so
Tourist

[ New ]

Almost a year and not even an indicator they are working on it. I consider this lousy product support. They really want you to use their phone app, but as a 60 year old person, I would rather use my 32" monitor than squint at a 6" screen! How can you sell something that people cannot even access features on?

As a suggestion, perhaps they can make a firmware upgrade that allows it to save gpx data alongside the regular MP4. Then we could continue to use our other software!

Tourist

[ New ]

Please call their support or better yet ask for status via social media like Twitter.  If enough people request this feature maybe we stand a chance.

Tourist

[ New ]

I updated the current software (HERO8 Black v2.00 | August 27, 2020) today and I the GPS data still not working! :(
This is very bad and I am disappointed! Because the bug is not fixed with the new software version!

Adventurer

[ New ]

who said ver 2.0 is hte fix, its DESKTOP quick or their new software. nothing else.   will be released with this rumored hero 9 

Hiker

[ New ]
hi there

since new firmware 02.00 my (screwedup) gp8 hero wont be connect to pc/quikdesktop to import files...

any others with same experience??

how i get this files down from my "cam"?
Explorer

[ New ]
Go to the camera preferences and change the connection from webcam to MTP
Adventurer

[ New ]

if its a manual change look for the MTB and usb.  gopro is a wizard of Not telling people what they do.

Hiker

[ New ]

- so in other words theres no way since last firmware to import files to quik desktop?

- and they dont announced this to their customers?

this "company" really sucks....

Adventurer

[ New ]

its mistakes made,     never know with GoPro

Nomad

[ New ]

I've had no problems in Quik importing videos recorded with the new firmware, from the SD card. Haven't tried directly from the camera

Tourist

[ New ]

I got the same problem. I "solved" it connecting the SD-Card directly on my computer.

Tourist

[ New ]

Totally angry. I spoke with support but they can't tell evet potential date. It looks like it will fix never.

Tourist

[ New ]

Has this been resolved to anyone's knowledge?

Hiker

[ New ]

@coloradoskier 

"Has this been resolved upon anyone's knowledge?"

Haha ... you're a prankster ...

Nobody expects that .... Gopro can do marketing, but then it's done. The company is a joke.

My "Hero" 8 will be for sale as soon as DJI brings a cam with GPS and a few other little things onto the market ...

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi! 

No, i think only in next camera (may be not)

I found only paid solution in the internet. One guy made a program for takind and updating GPS date from video file.

Explorer

[ New ]
You can, as designed, use GPS stickers with the GoPro mobile app. Other workarounds are using the FREE telemetry extractor and Dashware, Virb Studio, RaceRender, and/or Adobe After Effects.

The HERO8 obtains GPS data just fine, so there is nothing wrong with the camera. It uses a very good UBlox GPS chip. Of course, it is the user's responsibility to ensure that 1) There are adequate satellites 2) kp index isn't above 4 3) the camera has an unobstructed view of a clear blue sky 4) The camera is powered on for at least 2-3 minutes (longer is better) prior to starting the recording.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Like said otherwise they  are in the works and that was a good 3/4 year  guess the  software company legacy is still working on it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

i am too very angry about this isue :(

Tourist

[ New ]
So not sure if people are still working on trying to figure this out but for me i just use the mobile app and connect my sd card directly to my phone, i use an android phone so only have the google play link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gopro.smarty but the issue im having is actually in regards to the media mod not including the metadata for the gps data, ive tested various things and the reason i got my hero8 was for my car but the wind reduction has been terrible so probably gonna send the media mod back since the mic also isnt a shotgun mic at all but thats a whole different tangent but back to the mobile app, sure itll take a while to move the file over to your mobile device but i found adding the speedo and other gauges have no issues, ill post a short vid on youtube of when i took my car to the track but the mobile app is free and they recently updated it and to me it works great. https://youtu.be/4-11HQm8OII
Sightseer

Rif.: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

I think it's time to find a fix to this bug and don't pay for a third party bug fix yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Absolutely horrible support on this. I now have to take the video from my Garmin Edge 820 and save the FIT file, then import the GoPro video into Elements and assemble it. With my GoPro 5 I would just click "gauges" in Qwik and it was all there. A giant step backwards by GoPro. Pretty sad considering how much I spent on the new camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is a no brainer on a Garmin Virb. I bought my son a Hero 8 for Christmas, while the video looks good, the Quik software is limited hot garbage. Using the mobile phone app to process / edit video is also nonsense. I cant recommend this product in it's current state. Support is shoddy at best. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

A COMPANY THAT CANNOT CORRECT A BUG ONLY THINK ABOUT MAKING MONEY. NEVER AGAIN GOPRO

Tourist

[ New ]

Have to agree. I use Virb software to edit (since I used to have a Virb!). I use the Telemetry Extractor for GoPro to pull the GPX data out, then port it into Virb software and is quick and easy to make a video. I finally gave up on GoPro actually doing anything. When I complained to them shortly after I purchased the Hero 8 and discovered their software would not read telemetry, they said they were working on software. They gave no timeline and that was a year ago. I have really enjoyed how smooth the hardware runs (stabilization is incredible), but you have to plan on spending money over and above the purchase of the camera in order to make videos - unless you like playing around with their phone app. At 61 I would rather do it on a 32" monitor rather than tinker with a 6" phone screen.

Super disappointing. Hope someone comes up with something similar by the time I need to upgrade so I can move away from an unsupported product!

Hiker

[ New ]
my words
Sightseer

[ New ]

gggggg.JPGGPS Alredy Active(White)

Sightseer

[ New ]

A big BUG!!!!!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Big BUG!!!!!!
Sightseer

[ New ]

its terable :((

when thei fix this bug

Sightseer

[ New ]

are they f ... joking android app says no gps data .desktop app is not supported and has no gps data just goprotelemetryextractor works but the premium upgrade costs 245€  ... i will never again buy a gopro product and rate every where 1 star for that crap.

Tourist

[ New ]

The whole GPS data debacle that started with Hero 8 makes this product a joke. It takes nice video, but the only GPS data I have is from my Garmin that happens to be with me when I ride with the GoPro. Their software is a freaking joke, The camera footage is nice. It's a shame they suck so bad at software. Oh, as bad as their software is, the customer service is worse. They've known this to be a problem for year and won't do anything to fix it.