Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]
Yes, @fireyflash16 you've got all the answers. How's that DJI desktop software working out for you?
Explorer

[ New ]
Mobile or desktop, it still requires going into each video and inserting the GPS data. So, hundreds on the mobile app and hundreds on the desktop.... same difference.

I'm not debating whether or not GoPro should or shouldn't come out with a new desktop editor that has the capability of extracting GPS data. I think they should.

However, currently, they do not. Suggestions have been given to get over this hurdle. Either take the advice or don't, makes no difference to me. But stomping your feet, banging your fist on the table, and holding your breath until you turn blue isn't going to get you any closer to a solution. Just makes you come across as an impetuous child.
Explorer

[ New ]

@fireyflash16 wrote:
... so respect other posts

Stated as you write insults.  Hypocrite.

Hiker

[ New ]
haha
...no i don't... and never said that..
anyway.. seems that you are not at the point of my recent posts...

- never said that i have already dji osmo
- said that i would by dji osmo V2 if they add gps and other features
- gopro quik desktop was always promoted as edit software for gopro cams... so i paid for (btw: gp8 is 100$ higher)
- if dji add theese missed functionality there will be a way for sure to edit

have a nice day!
Hiker

[ New ]
have a nice day...
Hiker

[ New ]
thanks for the reprimand ... hope you have a nice day.
Explorer

[ New ]
Haha

So what's your point?

Are you looking for a way to add GPS data to videos captured with HERO8, or are you just coming here to whine about not being able to use the Quik Desktop software and attack people for providing possible solutions?

Explorer

[ New ]

@fireyflash16 wrote:
yes... as far
...but they will record telemetry for sure... just waiting V2 of osmo action..

"for sure" ... Really?  They just forgot the first time around?  

Record.... but no desktop software? They don't even have a solution for videos caught with their drones, but they are going to spend resources supporting a device that doesn't bring them much revenue?

You have all the answers.  So what is the best solution, currently, for creating videos captured with a GoPro HERO8 and embedding GPS data into them?  I do it all the time with te solutions I've provided, but apparently it's not good enough for you.  So, what do you use?  how do you do it?  Do you have any answers or just complaints?

Have a fabulous day.  You're Awesome!

Adventurer

[ New ]

We bought a GoPro to keep all GoPro. GoPro   Latest Softwares  For the Hero 8 for  Quick Desktop. outdated:

Quik for desktop

Windows: 

Quik for Desktop v.2.7.0.945
Release Date: 9/28/2018

Mac: 

Quik for Desktop v2.7.0.874

New Features

• Add support for HERO7 Black, HERO7 Silver, HERO7 White.

Updated:  The new camera pictures for HERO5 session, HERO5 Black, HERO6, HERO7 Black, HERO7 Silver, HERO7 White.
Bug Fixes + Performance Improvements

GoPro has stopped software  releases, since 2018.  Gopro never talks about New products or Softwares to the Public.  And causes CAOS at the  forum oops one to one member support so why on Earth are members bashing one another?

Adventurer

[ New ]

We bought a GoPro to keep all GoPro. GoPro   Latest Softwares  For the Hero 8 for  Quick Desktop. outdated:

Quik for desktop

Windows: 

Quik for Desktop v.2.7.0.945

Mac: 

Quik for Desktop v2.7.0.874

New Features

• Add support for HERO7 Black, HERO7 Silver, HERO7 White.

Updated:  The new camera pictures for HERO5 session, HERO5 Black, HERO6, HERO7 Black, HERO7 Silver, HERO7 White.
Bug Fixes + Performance Improvements

GoPro has stopped software  releases, since 2018.  Gopro never talks about New products or Softwares to the Public.  And causes CAOS at the  forum oops one to one member support so why on Earth are members bashing one another?

Adventurer

[ New ]

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information#qda

Adventurer

[ New ]

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information#qda

Tourist

[ New ]

This might be just my personal preference, but I don’t want to install on my PC any software (SW) that is of unknown or questionable origin.  So, the idea that a GoPro user should go scouting the Internet for some freeware that works with a GoPro CAM is not for me.

I don’t need GoPro to provide a replacement for video editing SW, just need a simple ability to add the gauges without changing the fidelity of the video (codec, bitrate, color depth, etc.).

Is this too much to ask for?  Not if you paid $350 for a camera IMO.

Not sure who in this forum would advocate against GoPro supporting that.  Don’t want to be cynical, but almost seems that some members act as if they work for GoPro.

Explorer

[ New ]
DaVinci Resolve is a professional editing software used by the movie industry. It's hardly questionable. Virb Edit is from Garmin, another well known company. Use the online Extractor, create a video with overlay in Virb Edit and then add, color grade, edit your video clips in DaVinci Resolve. It's not difficult at all.

GoPro should follow the lead of MOST camera companies and NOT waste resources on developing a desktop editor. They should concentrate on the mobile app and on creating an online solution connected to their GoPro Plus subscription service.
Tourist

[ New ]

No cell phone beats my Threadripper 3970x (:...
Then Gopro should say directly that they no longer offer a desktop app and is good! Then nobody would write here ...
how can we put more pressure on Gopro directly? Direct letters, Twitter ... Facebook?
I use the Gorpo as a dash cam with gps .... Thank you for the information about alternative cameras!....
I hope the competition doesn't sleep ... I would switch immediately .... Brand loyalty gopro ? NO

Explorer

[ New ]

https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback 

The "competition" has been asleep on GPS cameras for years.  When it comes to action cameras designed in the last three years featuring GPS, well, it's pretty much just GoPro.  

Explorer

[ New ]
Of course, even if the competition does provide a GPS enabled action camera, other than Garmin (who has pretty much given up on the camera market), you're just going to have to bite the bullet and actually learn some 3rd party software, because they don't provide it. You can always go and get a Garmin, but their software is very rudimentary and you're once again going to need a proper video editor.

However, since you want a DASH CAM.... why don't you just purchase a dash cam? Not the same category of camera. Yes, GoPro action cameras are very versatile, unlike dash cams, and sure you can use them as a dash cam, but if that's all you want, maybe stop looking in the wrong category. You just might find a dash cam that comes with a video editor for displaying GPS!
Tourist

[ New ]

danielr15 I agree with you. I bought the gorpo as a gps dashcam because it has 4k with 60 fps and that with around 100mbit ....
and I thought that the software with the camera is the smallest problem .... it was just a bad buy ......
currently I also use Vrib ... unfortunately there are no 4K 60Fps possible ..... me

Nomad

[ New ]
Hy guys. What would be your bucket list of features a desktop video editor would have? This would be a massive project, most likely too large for me to build it on my own. Also, not sure howthis could be profitable considering the free editors available. But let's fantasize and, who knows...

I think it would have to be something simpler and more user friendly than Premiere, Final Cut or After Effects, maybe just something like Quik, but with updates:

- Telemetry stickers
- Auto-edits (based on telemetry, highlights, image recognition and potentially AI)
- Allow for some color correction
- Allow to export for online platforms (youtibe, instagram...)
- Preserve image quality
- Off-camera image stabilization
- Export xml project files compatible with Premiere and Final cut

What else? :)
Adventurer

[ New ]

Explain the  Garmin gps camera to us

????

Adventurer

[ New ]

Garmin  GPS camera

@danielr15 wrote:

The "competition" has been asleep on GPS cameras for years.  When it comes to action cameras designed in the last three years featuring GPS, well, it's pretty much just GoPro.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

WHt software . GoPro Quick  simply update to correctly work with the GoPro product. 

GoPro   we need a answer. then to keep speculating

Adventurer

[ New ]

I Fish  Work for "GoPro" and I am here  as  a worker in disguise.  I am their Online  on the Spot helper, with Live  help, video live help,  Replications of troubles, and more.I never gotten paid once or have  gotten an I.D.   Just a Gopro sticker  and gopro be a hero.  I take up no space, and  am never late  How can I not be a Gopro member?

FISH  April 1st 2020.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Garmin  GPS camera

@danielr15 wrote:

I just sent my feedback.  I'm hoping if we get enough users to submit feedback on this GPS issue GoPro will finally comment.  I would be happy if they would just come out and make a comment and give a date on when issue will be fixed.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@marrik wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:

Garmin  GPS camera

@danielr15 wrote:

I just sent my feedback.  I'm hoping if we get enough users to submit feedback on this GPS issue GoPro will finally comment.  I would be happy if they would just come out and make a comment and give a date on when issue will be fixed.

Agree:  How many people here have given their feedback   and what did they say.

QUick Desktop App, since 2018 with GoPro cameras needs an Update, Please respond to the topic about a future update.

How many 1, 10, 100, 1000 ,10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000?  I think feedback is important to get it rolling but I believe its up to GoPro to  at least pop in and  reassure us they are in the works, and if they promise a answer, they are going to proise an updatewhich they can not?  so here we'll call out   @jefft   Jeff would you be so kind to  see if there is any info about the Quick Desktop and GPS  software  to be released in teh near future, or why gopro has not offered this feature and noted about it on their latest working camera?

the Community.

Nomad

[ New ]

It looks like their current software efforts are in the VR Viewer for Max. So I wouldn't expect an update to Quik (or it's replacement app) any time soon

Explorer

[ New ]

@kajuna 

In response to your previous question:

For me, a basic editor needs:
1) Color grading essentials
- Exposure
- Contrast
- Saturation
- Shadow and Highlight Adjustment
- Sharpness (optional if handled in Contrast)

2) Simple fade through transitions

3) Tittle and Text overlay

4) minimum two audio channels (one for video 2nd for music or to allow J-cuts)

5) Re-scaling/Zoom

6) Slow motion WITH Speed ramping

Everything else you listed :)

Explorer

[ New ]

GoPro should follow the lead of MOST camera companies and NOT waste resources on developing a desktop editor. They should concentrate on the mobile app and on creating an online editing solution connected to their GoPro Plus subscription service.

Tourist

[ New ]

TOTALLY DISAGREE. I and many other users prefer to work on our own PC keeping our privacy to ourselves and not online services sush as GoPro.  Having it on my desktop also is a much better performer than using online services.

Hiker

[ New ]

Interesting point of view Smiley Surprised

mobile devices have the best requirements to edit video and highspeed internet is guaranted in every single lost corner in the world.

He - why the hell we use big devices on desktops und..... cables? Smiley Surprised

<ironic mode off>

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm not saying you shouldn't edit on your computer. I'm just saying GoPro shouldn't waste time and resources creating desktop software. There are plenty of ways to edit your GoPro videos on your computer, with GPS overlay, that does not require GoPro desktop software.
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ New ]
I appreciate your advice on what third party software to try.

1)Race Renderer worked free version $60 if you want to actually do anything with longer files and remove their logos
2)virb did not work it could not import my GoPro hero8 file
3)after effects ($20/month for adobe suite) + a $60 third party template and the free telemetry extractor. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Here’s the funniest part of all some community member keeps saying just used the mobile Quick App. Well it does NOT work! It says the same BS the desktop version says...NO GPS DATA. Buts it is there because Race Renderer 3 does this task just fine..

FIX your **bleep** GoPro!!!
Explorer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ New ]
Dashware
Virb Edit works perfectly fine

Links have been provided with all of the information you need.

If you want more advanced software or features, yes, sometimes it does require actually paying for it.
Tourist

[ New ]
Do I have to use the free extractor before I try dash ware and virb edit?

Tourist

[ New ]

Please provide the steps to import GoPrio to Garmin Virb Edit.

Thank you

Nomad

[ New ]
If your phone's app does not read the GPS data either (I mean the GoPro App, Quik mobile might be also outdated, not sure), it's usually because the GPS signal is weak and they don't want to risk displaying bad data. It's a debatable decision on their side, but some people complained when the data was showing too. Just an FYI.

Someone said the desktop app should be fixed because professional video editors don't edit on their phones. True, professional video editor don't use GoPro Quik either, they use Adobe Premiere and After Effects (paid). Many are migrating to the free Davinci Resolve, but AFAIK there's no telemetry option for that one yet.
Tourist

[ New ]

DashWare crushes.  Also, GoPro mobile puts the gauges onto the videos I shoot, while the DashWare is not able to extract the telemetry data.

How do I know that this fly-by-night DashWare or others "running from the garage" outfits do not embed any malcode.  I run these "untrusted" SW in a VM.  

Is having a simple application to slap few gauges onto videos too much to ask for when buying a $350 camera?

Tourist

[ New ]
The file opens fine with Race Render 3 and has gps data. When I try to open this same file (the mp4 taken from my gopro 8) in the Quik app or desktop quik app BOTH quick apps say no gps data....
Nomad

[ New ]
On your phone, use the GoPro App to add stickers, NOT Quik
Tourist

[ New ]
I’ll try that and report back
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey that worked! Thank you. I kept going into quick somehow.

Is there a length limit ( time duration ). Say like I have a 1 hour race clip?
Adventurer

[ New ]

racerender is a free  software a 3 minute clip  Purchase if you want longer.

GoPro app  does gps not quick mobile app 

If one wants to use gps via the Mobile then we're good

If one wants the Desktop   that is LIFE!!!!!  gopro isnot a hero there!

Tourist

[ New ]
Oh ya that won’t be an issue. It breaks the videos up into 5minute chunks.
Tourist

[ New ]

Just got back from mountain biking.  Shoot 12 clips, totaling over an hour and 20 min.  Uploading to an iPad to apply labels.

Already been waiting for 10 minutes for the 1st to finish.  11 more to go.

Don't even know if the camera captured the telemetry data.

Nice workflow GoPro!  Thanks a lot!

Tourist

[ New ]

Took close to an hour to upload 12 files to iPad

Using the GoPro app attempted to add tags, only 4 files let me add the tags.  I had the GoPro on all the time for 1hr:20min as some "experts" were suggesting that using the Quick Capture does not allow the GPS signal acquisition.

Again, out of 12 files only 4 allowed me to add the tags.

Saved them.  Now need to get them off the iPad to a PC

Ran out of space on iPad after 3 files.

Transferring to my Network Attached Storage (NAS).  It is taking about 20 minutes per file thus far.

The files from the GoPro app have different data rate and frame rate (Nice going, add insult to injury!)

Deleted the 3 files, exported the last one.  Transferred to the NAS.

The telemetry generation and the app seem to be at best at Alpha level, not ready to public release.

What a colossal waste of time!

Have not seen anything like this.

Hiker

[ New ]
After updating to the latest firmware and doing a factory reset plus an SD card reformat, my Hero 8 now doesn't show any GPS data on BOTH the Quik desktop app and the GoPro android app. Downgraded to firmware v1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled the Quik app, removed cache and data and then reinstalled the android app, and both still cannot see the telemetry data (which other apps see, i.e. Dashware).

Am I missing something here??
Nomad

[ New ]
Guys, don't waste your time reinstalling the firmware or factory resetting the camera. That won't help.

We know what the issues are:

- Quik is not compatible with the telemetry in the new cameras (8 and Max)
- The mobile GoPro app does not show performance stickers if it considers the GPS signal is not good enough.

Solutions to both these problems have been posted here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not about to pay an extra $50 just to get my telemetry data.

It's honestly a great camera, but, unfortunately, the software bundled with it is just terrible.
Adventurer

[ New ]

so no  shows  are the best shows i guess. call  a gopro rep tehy are busy working on gps Lol    well. if it does not work no more trash the camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

what's a bit shocking to me beside the ingnorance from GoPro: I've read many reviews and comparisions, some of them pretty detailed.

None of them did even notice the absence of showing GPS data on PC, but most of them praised the GPS feature.

I get some doubts about the general seriosity of such "reviews"

I got my Hero 8/Quick Desktop working by adding the configration files for Quick and downgrading the firmware. But did someone else consider that: The track in the smartphone app is shown with a map while in Quick it's a simple line?

Another but positive aspect: Did some clips while riding my motorcycle with the bikes speedometer in view. The GPS data seem to be pretty accurate, there's a constant difference between 2 and 5 km/h (dependend on the speed, speedometer showing faster than GoPros GPS) wich is pretty close to the speedometer deviation here.

One reason more to have a working Desktop app (with map underlay) without need to buy external software or plugins and additiona steps in the workflow.