Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ Edited ]

Is thre a step by step. to that  Quick Desktop, making GPS work? and  where?

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-...

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

The steps didn't work for me.  And, for the record, this is what I did:

1. 'Factory reset Hero 8
  2. Reformatted MicroSD Card
  3. Downgraded Hero 8 to FW 1.20
  4. Stayed in the middle of an open area for 5 minutes, clear sky, solid white location icon, made sure GPS is on.  And started the ride.
  5. Mode used was Looping at 1440p 60fps
  6. Uninstalled GoPro Quik, removed all temp files and registry keys with GoPro on it, then restarted.
  7. Installed GoPro Quik on my Windows 10 (v1903) computer. Copied Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file to C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\
  8. Restarted.  Connected my Hero 8 via USB.  Resynched media folder.
  9. Copied the file from the ride earlier (see step 4 above)
  10. Tried putting in GPS stickers, still no go.
  11. Connected to Android GoPro app using wireless and copied the same media file.
  12. Tried putting in stickers using the android app and still no go.
  13. Posted here to rant.

Any other ideas?

Highlighted
Nomad

Does your video contain GPS data?
Highlighted
Hiker

Yes it does.  I was able to extract it via https://goprotelemetryextractor.com.

I tried Dashware and that wasn't much help, either.  Trying RaceRender now.

Highlighted
Hiker

I was able to find 2 desktop solutions to the problem using different software on my Hero 8 (FW v1.5).

RaceRender (using the free version) -- works out of the box, however:

• You will need to properly set video output settings, otherwise it will default to a lower bitrate and resolution right out of the Hero 3 era
  • Ensure you are picking the right templates, some have MPH or KPH hardcoded, regardless of what you've chosen on the settings
  • RaceRender watermark cannot be erased unless you pay for the free version
  • Rendering anything over HD is an exercise in patience
  • Videos are limited to only 3 min in length on the free version

Dashware -- wiil not work out of the box for some of us (me, included)

• Video must NOT be in HEVC, otherwise, Dashware won't support it
  • Data extraction won't work out of the box for many, if it doesn't:
    • Go to https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/
    • Upload your video file
    • Extract the data in GPX format, save it on your computer
    • Go to Dashware and choose the save GPX file as your data logger (choose GPX as the data profile)
    • Add your video file to Dashware
    • Go to the Synchronization tab and put a check on 'Sync with Video'
  • Create the video

Further info:

Hero 8 Black (FW 1.5)

Dashware version -- 1.9.1

RaceRender version -- Free 3.7.3

Video resolutions used: 1440p and 2.7k

Framerates tested: 24, 30 and 60 fps

Highlighted
Hiker

as said, it can also work with quick with two small hacks (old firmware and additional configirations files for hero 8).

The other ways will/should work, but what a huge workflow to get things you can get much easier Smiley Surprised

Don't know internet speed in your area, but if i'll start to transfer my video files (sometimes 2 hours/day in 4K) to the net just to get my gpx files back to transfer them in a third party software....., i'm old and grey before having my first complete clip.

Again, if Gopro sells his cams with the highlight "GPS", they sould/have to offer a solution to work with this data not only on a smartphone (what a ridiculous imagination to me to work with video content on a small screen with limited memory and a limited amount of computing power) OR to format the embedded data in a way, other common software can handle it.

Highlighted
Hiker

Agreed. The workflow is a pain in the ass for something that should be a lot simpler.

As for the hacks (downgrade to FW1.2 + insert Hero8BlackGPMF.xml) to get Quik to work, it didn't work for me, which is why I had to spend an entire day just trying to get a workable solution.

I'll try it on FW 1.6 tomorrow.

Highlighted
Nomad

@rapidboost72256 Just to clarify, your video is not uploaded when using the Telemetry Extractor to convert to GPX (or any other format). The data is extracted in your browser.