Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

Oh ya that won’t be an issue. It breaks the videos up into 5minute chunks.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

Just got back from mountain biking.  Shoot 12 clips, totaling over an hour and 20 min.  Uploading to an iPad to apply labels.

Already been waiting for 10 minutes for the 1st to finish.  11 more to go.

Don't even know if the camera captured the telemetry data.

Nice workflow GoPro!  Thanks a lot!

Highlighted
Tourist

Took close to an hour to upload 12 files to iPad

Using the GoPro app attempted to add tags, only 4 files let me add the tags.  I had the GoPro on all the time for 1hr:20min as some "experts" were suggesting that using the Quick Capture does not allow the GPS signal acquisition.

Again, out of 12 files only 4 allowed me to add the tags.

Saved them.  Now need to get them off the iPad to a PC

Ran out of space on iPad after 3 files.

Transferring to my Network Attached Storage (NAS).  It is taking about 20 minutes per file thus far.

The files from the GoPro app have different data rate and frame rate (Nice going, add insult to injury!)

Deleted the 3 files, exported the last one.  Transferred to the NAS.

The telemetry generation and the app seem to be at best at Alpha level, not ready to public release.

What a colossal waste of time!

Have not seen anything like this.

Highlighted
Hiker

After updating to the latest firmware and doing a factory reset plus an SD card reformat, my Hero 8 now doesn't show any GPS data on BOTH the Quik desktop app and the GoPro android app. Downgraded to firmware v1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled the Quik app, removed cache and data and then reinstalled the android app, and both still cannot see the telemetry data (which other apps see, i.e. Dashware).

Am I missing something here??
Highlighted
Nomad

Guys, don't waste your time reinstalling the firmware or factory resetting the camera. That won't help.

We know what the issues are:

- Quik is not compatible with the telemetry in the new cameras (8 and Max)
- The mobile GoPro app does not show performance stickers if it considers the GPS signal is not good enough.

Solutions to both these problems have been posted here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...
Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not about to pay an extra $50 just to get my telemetry data.

It's honestly a great camera, but, unfortunately, the software bundled with it is just terrible.
Highlighted
Adventurer

so no  shows  are the best shows i guess. call  a gopro rep tehy are busy working on gps Lol    well. if it does not work no more trash the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

what's a bit shocking to me beside the ingnorance from GoPro: I've read many reviews and comparisions, some of them pretty detailed.

None of them did even notice the absence of showing GPS data on PC, but most of them praised the GPS feature.

I get some doubts about the general seriosity of such "reviews"

I got my Hero 8/Quick Desktop working by adding the configration files for Quick and downgrading the firmware. But did someone else consider that: The track in the smartphone app is shown with a map while in Quick it's a simple line?

Another but positive aspect: Did some clips while riding my motorcycle with the bikes speedometer in view. The GPS data seem to be pretty accurate, there's a constant difference between 2 and 5 km/h (dependend on the speed, speedometer showing faster than GoPros GPS) wich is pretty close to the speedometer deviation here.

One reason more to have a working Desktop app (with map underlay) without need to buy external software or plugins and additiona steps in the workflow.