Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

If you don't want to use any different software, you aren't going to be able to get GPS data from the HERO8 unless you use the GoPro mobile app. Unless GoPro releases a new desktop software (which they are rumored to be developing), you only have two options. GoPro mobile app or alternative software. Saying you don't want to use alternative solutions is like saying that you wont use alternative video editors but want the same results as people get with DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro. Well, it's not going to happen.
Highlighted
Tourist

"Saying you don't want to use alternative solutions is like saying that you wont use alternative video editors but want the same results as people get with DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro. Well, it's not going to happen."

Really? same results? Is this a joke? I can use another application if I want, but I do not want... or maybe do you want to buy another application for me? we are talking about a standard function, not about video editing.

I tried to do this in a mobile application - there is not possible (there is no menu with the following parameters)

Highlighted
Hiker

woww... the speaker spoke.... r u trump? this is a open community... so respect other posts
Highlighted
Explorer

If you want to get GPS data with Desktop editing, you will need to use another application than the Quik Desktop editor.

If you want to edit videos that are longer than 1 minute and are not "Quik Story" synced to preprogramed music, you will need to use another application.

It doesn't matter to me if you do or don't want to. I'm not stating an opinion, I'm just stating a fact. Since every solution I've given is free, then sure... here you go, I just bought it for you. Now go download and use it like I suggested.

You can either take suggestions given here and get results, or you can keep pouting and arguing the merits of whether or not you should or shouldn't have to use 3rd party solutions. Keep taking the second option and see how far that gets you.

This is a member to member support community. Bitching about the software and what it should or shouldn't do is pointless. You either want to create videos or you don't. If you want to make videos with GPS data, then it's time to start listening, and doing, the suggestions provided here.
Highlighted
Hiker

ah.. you're way is to edit hunderts of videos in the mobile app?? haha.. ever tried this? no, because its not usuable. finally when gp8 was launched, gopro NOWHERE said that gauges would not work in quik desktop
i am sure that you are gp employee.
Highlighted
Hiker

...again? are you the educator here?

better develop software who works than trump other people
Highlighted
Explorer

Yes, @fireyflash16 you've got all the answers. How's that DJI desktop software working out for you?
Highlighted
Explorer

Mobile or desktop, it still requires going into each video and inserting the GPS data. So, hundreds on the mobile app and hundreds on the desktop.... same difference.

I'm not debating whether or not GoPro should or shouldn't come out with a new desktop editor that has the capability of extracting GPS data. I think they should.

However, currently, they do not. Suggestions have been given to get over this hurdle. Either take the advice or don't, makes no difference to me. But stomping your feet, banging your fist on the table, and holding your breath until you turn blue isn't going to get you any closer to a solution. Just makes you come across as an impetuous child.