Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

You can edit with guages in After Effects. Also Virb Edit, RaceRender, and Dashware (which can then be put into any editor like Premiere Pro). A member of the GoPro forum made a free to use Telemetry Extractor. You can also get the more powerful desktop version and also templates for After Effects. https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

You can find out more about extracting and using GPS data by joining this GoPro Forum Group https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

This post in the group is a good place to start https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

Since you brought up 5.0ghz, and I said 5G.  yes I made a boo boo.  so I put a bandade on that and it's all healed.    Back to GPS .   

Highlighted
Adventurer

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

I'm not sure the alternative cameras are a solution to the issues discussed on this thread. As far as I know the DJI ones do not record telemetry at all. The ones by Insta360 don't do so internally, they rely exclusively on the data sent by the phone (which is an interesting take that I would appreciate GoPro implemented), and the Garmin ones, which did focus on telemetry, have not been updated for a while.

Telemetry is a core feature of an action cam for me, but that does not seem to be the case for the average GoPro user, based on the small amount of online videos that include it, the number of complaints that we see here, and really the time it's taking GoPro to solve small issues. The Quik app for desktop has data synchronization problems since version 2.6.1, released a couple of years ago (I believe).

On the software side, there are plenty of third party solutions for advanced users. Maybe not so much for casual ones. The hardware is finnicky and I think that, unfortunately, we will have to live with that.

Highlighted
Tourist

Keep in mind that OSMO is new. DJI drones do record telemetry, so it is not unthinkable to predict version 2 will do that also.

Since the Hero line (and other GoPro flavors) are marketed as an action camera, it is not unthinkable that action sports users (biking, skinning, parasailing, etc., etc., etc.) would love to show off their G forces, altitude, speed, etc.

Just because this is currently difficult/impossible to do with GoPro, not many people might be savvy enough or willing to spend the time. But I guarantee if this feature actually worked and was easy to use, most action videos would include a speedometer, an altitude gauge, etc.

No one thought of having a large touch screen on a phone, have a capable browser and a music player all in one device, until Apple came out with the iPhone. I'm just hoping GoPro will not miss its moment.

Highlighted
Tourist

And Videographers and content/media developers work on workstations not smartphones
Highlighted
Hiker

yes... as far
...but they will record telemetry for sure... just waiting V2 of osmo action..
Highlighted
Hiker

yes.. no problem... i like to use tools and tools and tools.. to add more information... this is why i am spend 500$ in hero 8 and accessoires... not.