Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

wrong... absolute.. 

...gopro just added this exception later after launch... and at least only with a small "3", only described very small at the bottom of the page...

Hiker

[ New ]

just saying...

5G (Mobile)

5GHz (WiFi)

...not the same...  

and on gopro 8 wifi setting 5GHz does NOT work with gopro android app...

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't want to completely bash the camera.  Hero 8 is better than the predecessors.  On the other hand, some of the bugs and usability issues in the camera and the surrounding suite of SW makes it less usable and an annoyance to the customers.

Don't know about the OSMO, I've heard that it is not quite there.  But I have to say that DJI's drones (my son uses Phantom 4 Pro for business) are top notch, including the cameras and the supporting SW.  Give them a year and they will overrun GoPro if it continues to sell buggy and half-baked products. I would hate to see another company losing to completion from China, but if the GoPro lacks imagination and care for the customers...

It appears that there are few issues related to the telemetry data collection and use:

1. Collection: the camera refuses to collect the data unless the stars align into a GoPro logo shape, unknowingly to the customer.  Getting telemetry is like a box of chocolate: you never know if you're going to get it.

Possible solutions (one or a combination thereof): 

a) Start recording without the telemetry data, as soon as the GPS TTFF event takes place, close the current file, open a new one and start adding the telemetry to the new file (GoPro already has an ability to break up a video capture session into multiple files).

b) Start recording with “dummy” telemetry that your app would recognize as invalid, as soon as GPS TTFF event takes place, start embedding real telemetry into the video. This way, it won’t be all lost and some sense can be made out of in in video editing. 

c) Since part of the Hero 8 has power while it is "off" (case in point: it responds to voice commands), wake up the GPS periodically (e.g., every 10 min), attempt to gather satellite almanac and ephemeris data and then go back to sleep.  When shooting next time, the GPS data can be coming within 5-20s.

d) Perhaps keeping the GPS chip powered on all the time may not drastically reduce the battery discharge time.  May make it more intelligent, but powering up, if failing to acquire satellite signal (may be indoors), go back to sleep for a time or until powered on by the user.   WIFI being on probably consumes more power as it is a receive and transmit radio. 

Use: Some people, myself included, would like to use telemetry while using real video editors, such as Premier Pro. 

The PC app does not play 4K HVEC files, while the PC can, which implies the OS has the codecs. 

The app is oblivious to the telemetry data, while the IOS apps can see it.  GoPro: we don't need you to compete with Adobe of Sony.  Just play along (why we can't all get along).

Possible solutions:

a) Provide an easy method for taking a clip and adding the gauges, but without altering the codecs, bitrate, etc.  Using a mobile app is not the answer as moving the files from the GoPro to the IOS and IOS to a PC is not a good workflow process.  Not to mention that I don't want to be using limited and expensive iPhone/iPad storage as a repository, even a temporary one for video files.

c) Provide a plug-in for Premier Pro or for Aftereffects to read the telemetry and add the gauges while using these apps.

We'd hate to see the GoPro go by the way of Blackberry.  When you lose the interest to innovate, that the competition passes you by... GoPro, you still have a chance, although may not be for too long...

Explorer

[ New ]
5GHz works fine on my Android LG v30. Works with my HERO8 and MAX.
Hiker

[ New ]
not mine... pixel 2 androidone, no root, no bulkware...
Explorer

[ New ]
Odd. Buddy just borrowed my cameras over the weekend. He commented how impressed he was with the 5GHz transfer of media to his Galaxy Note 10. Sorry to hear your Pixel 2 isn't working. Maybe jump in their forums.
Hiker

[ New ]

woww...  

seems that gopro admins delete member statements/comments...

comment from @valmiles today after 5pm is beeing deleted...

congratulation @GoPro admin!

Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black - GoPro PLESE DO NOT DELETE, LET THE COMMUNITY SEE THIS

[ New ]

I don't want to completely bash the camera.  Hero 8 is better than the predecessors.  On the other hand, some of the bugs and usability issues in the camera and the surrounding suite of SW makes it less usable and an annoyance to the customers.

Don't know about the OSMO, I've heard that it is not quite there.  But I have to say that DJI's drones (my son uses Phantom 4 Pro for business) are top notch, including the cameras and the supporting SW.  Give them a year and they will overrun GoPro if it continues to sell buggy and half-baked products. I would hate to see another company losing to completion from China, but if the GoPro lacks imagination and care for the customers...

It appears that there are few issues related to the telemetry data collection and use:

1. Collection: the camera refuses to collect the data unless the stars align into a GoPro logo shape, unknowingly to the customer.  Getting telemetry is like a box of chocolate: you never know if you're going to get it.

Possible solutions (one or a combination thereof): 

a) Start recording without the telemetry data, as soon as the GPS TTFF event takes place, close the current file, open a new one and start adding the telemetry to the new file (GoPro already has an ability to break up a video capture session into multiple files).

b) Start recording with “dummy” telemetry that your app would recognize as invalid, as soon as GPS TTFF event takes place, start embedding real telemetry into the video. This way, it won’t be all lost and some sense can be made out of in in video editing. 

c) Since part of the Hero 8 has power while it is "off" (case in point: it responds to voice commands), wake up the GPS periodically (e.g., every 10 min), attempt to gather satellite almanac and ephemeris data and then go back to sleep.  When shooting next time, the GPS data can be coming within 5-20s.

d) Perhaps keeping the GPS chip powered on all the time may not drastically reduce the battery discharge time.  May make it more intelligent, but powering up, if failing to acquire satellite signal (may be indoors), go back to sleep for a time or until powered on by the user.   WIFI being on probably consumes more power as it is a receive and transmit radio. 

2. Use: Some people, myself included, would like to use telemetry while using real video editors, such as Premier Pro. 

The PC app does not play 4K HVEC files, while the PC can, which implies the OS has the codecs. 

The app is oblivious to the telemetry data, while the IOS apps can see it.  GoPro: we don't need you to compete with Adobe of Sony.  Just play along (why we can't all get along).

Possible solutions:

a) Provide an easy method for taking a clip and adding the gauges, but without altering the codecs, bitrate, etc.  Using a mobile app is not the answer as moving the files from the GoPro to the IOS and IOS to a PC is not a good workflow process.  Not to mention that I don't want to be using limited and expensive iPhone/iPad storage as a repository, even a temporary one for video files.

b) Provide a plug-in for Premier Pro or for Aftereffects to read the telemetry and add gauges while using these apps.

We'd hate to see the GoPro go by the way of Blackberry.  When you lose the interest to innovate, that the competition passes you by... GoPro, you still have a chance, although may not be for too long...