Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

Not gonna lie, i'm extremely disappointed as well, it's my first and definitely my last GoPro.

Starting by the unfunniest joke i've ever heard, the fact that their own app - that they suggest to use with the camera - isn't actually able to read the files in the first place (suggesting that my hardware isn't good enough to open HEVC files, lol), to the fact that i can't access the GPS data it records without jumping through 2159 hoops to get it imported into another (very expensive) video editing software, to the fact that they suggest that i "fix" my problem with the GPS by buying a fricking $50 third party software. 

This is sorely disappointing, expected much more at this price point - and will make sure that not a single friend&family member wastes money on this camera. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Chaptering due to FAT file system.

It can take much longer than 20 seconds to acquire satellites.

While 3 might be a minimum, you would not get very reliable data with that few. Even if captured, it would most likely get rejected as the reliability score would be way too low. Nine or more locked satellites is ideal.

No, having GPS stay on after camera turns off is not a good idea. However, maybe it could have a standby mode.

It's one of the few action cameras that actually has GPS. Sometimes it's the user that needs to make adjustments and learn to use the equipment correctly. I'm not saying future devices won't be more advanced and may even work better for you. However, if you want to use your device today, it's best if you learn how to do so properly.
Highlighted
Tourist

I think the reason why you're clashing with some users is your simple unwillingness to accept that the GoPro isn't a coherent system, paired with the fact that you're trying to downplay very real issues. 

No, it doesn't take much longer than 20 seconds to acquire satellites. My Mavics don't need longer. If they don't, and they're compact systems too, then there's no excuse for the GoPro either. 

The camera never "turns off" anyway, or do you think it's magic that you can remotely turn it on via your phone/wifi? The WiFi module is active even if the cam is off. No reason to not include GPS as well. 

But here's where you lost the plot completely, by the looks. A user sometimes needs to make adjustments and learn to use "the equipment correctly" - he is. It's an action cam, designed (by the looks) to take 1 minute action clips. If he needs to wait 5 minutes before the camera (for no real reason, i want to add) is able to do its advertised job, there's not much "action" in the cam, is there. That doesn't even touch the fact that EVEN IF he gets a signal and it records, neither the desktop app nor sometimes the app are able to even use that data (and i did test it deliberately yesterday - waited for the "white GPS marker", drove around the block, checked if it still had signal after the recording - imported in both the app and desktop app - no data there, used third party apps to see if the data was there - used VIRB to double check, works). 

I appreciate that you like GoPro, we all have stuff that we love, but fanboying over a clearly flawed (and partially broken if you take Quik into account as well) product doesn't help users nor does it help the product itself. 

For comparison, my Mavics never need more than 10 seconds to acquire 7-9 satellites. In literally the same spot as the GoPro. 

Hell, i could deal with it taking forever to get a signal, if it were reliable then, but not even that is a given. You can have a GPS signal and still not use the tools given to you by GoPro to actually do anything with it - who's fault is it exactly when the apps tell you "no signal data" if you record with a lit icon? And to be clear, i recorded in 2.7k50, so it's not an HEVC file excuse either. 

Here's the thing, if it were a "bonus", sure. But it's an advertised feature that simply doesn't work properly. There's no excuses for that, regardless of how hard you're trying to shift the blame to the users (which is ridiculous in the first place). 

Highlighted
Adventurer

@renea3515 wrote:

Not gonna lie, i'm extremely disappointed as well, it's my first and definitely my last GoPro.

Starting by the unfunniest joke i've ever heard, the fact that their own app - that they suggest to use with the camera - isn't actually able to read the files in the first place (suggesting that my hardware isn't good enough to open HEVC files, lol), to the fact that i can't access the GPS data it records without jumping through 2159 hoops to get it imported into another (very expensive) video editing software, to the fact that they suggest that i "fix" my problem with the GPS by buying a fricking $50 third party software. 

This is sorely disappointing, expected much more at this price point - and will make sure that not a single friend&family member wastes money on this camera. 

Post a outside link to their own software, gopro  accepts it, says a lot about them, Gopro that is,and that is the Solution to the problem is resolved.  Oh buy a Max 360 and hte  inhousesoftware is  a future date relesae, since hte Fusion was out.    gopro needs to make a flying car.  and leap outof it and tell us the seat belts worked. they forgot about a parachute. lightyears awayy from a  desktop app, its  not gopro it is GoPRo.

Highlighted
Adventurer

As GoPro has a website and can simply put a  screen up saying.   GPS Desktop Quick App is outdated and a new  software is coming soon.  GoPro chose not to do that.

As GoPro has  a printing department, they can send out small stickers to their Retailers, and request  to  place on the box. GPS  desktop app coming soon  stay tuned.  GoPro  chose not to do that.

GoPro's website  under Apps. will be where we may see for the future of New software.  Other then that, then We either use the Mobile app , how Gopro has gone, with the Two major running phones in the industry or deal wit hteh issues that gopro  has and be the one's that suffer.  We do not mind you going, we do not mind you staying we just mind that  GoPro get their act together.

How many licks to the Center of the Tootsie pop~

Highlighted
Explorer

@renea3515
There are just do many things incorrect in what you wrote it's not worth replying to each of them.

It comes down to one simple fact.

To use the GPS function you will need to adapt to the camera's limitations. Period.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Lets wait -n-see when gopro   releases a new Software.   later.

Highlighted
Tourist

The original post regarding this problem was 10-24-19!

Looks like we might be waiting a long time!

👎