Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Here's the solution I came up with. It's compatible with the latest Hero8 and Max firmware. It forces Quik to display the gauges (also on older cameras).

Tutorial: https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0

App: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/#fix

Hope this helps

GoPro GPS not working? Enable the gauges overlay with the GPS Quick Fix tool: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quikTelemetry E...
Tourist

[ New ]

NO! this doesn't fix the solution.  I did that. I was at Disneyland with more than enough open space.  The camera showed gps lock the whole time yet no gps data on import

Sightseer

[ New ]

I worked around this susing VRBEdit ende e onnline telemetry tool.

Sightseer

[ New ]

My camera is having the exact same problem and its the same model.

@rcplanedude wrote:

Got the New hero 8 and I turned on the GPS and on my video clips that were taken outside it says there is no GPS data is this a known bug or is my camera Defective 

My camera is having the exact same problem and its the same model.

Explorer

[ New ]
Before you started recording, did you check to see if you had GPS satellite lock? On the pull down, the GPS pin icon will light up (White) when there is a lock. Otherwise, just having GPS ON does not guarantee GPS data will be captured.
Nomad

[ New ]
@sprymesa32 do you get any GPS data if you test your video files here? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free
Tourist

[ New ]

If you're using Quik for Desktop, here's GoPro's answer via their facebook page:

GoPro Hi Joe! Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well. Our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime

Tourist

[ New ]

same fix for me.  Will GoPro be fixing the Quik app?  I paid top dollar for GoPro vs other cams out there expecting all features to work.  Editing videos on mobile device is less than ideal.

Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro should simply stick to  just making A camera dump all the other stuff ,when they IRON it all out then start by testing before releasing not release and test.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sooooo anoying that I have to go through the mobile-app to put telemetrical data to the video AND afterwards export it to the desktop for further cutting... you cannot be serious...

AND NO: THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED BY RESETTING!

(I am using: iphone6s, hero8, mac with ios10.12, 8gb 1600hz ddrram)

Hey gopro: at least make a small update so that I can put the clip back to the memory-card of the camera (an then export all the files together) instead of exporting it to "fotos" or sharing by Airdrop!

It allready takes forever to process the implementation of the telemetr. data first and then each "sharing"-attempt needs a huge amount of time to "prepare" the clip.

For example: usung a clip of 2m55sec/2,7k-60/hyper-boosted - its roundabout 2,2gb

To put in the tele-data it took about 10 min. Now I try to export it and while I am writing this my mobile is working hard and taking too much time...10min at least. (And each step I have a quality-drop!)

This is way to long - by the way I like working with the studio-app. Why this castrated "quick"-app? why cant you make a normal desktop version with all functions implementated? - Not everyone just makes 30sec. clips and uploades this directly to instawhatsoevertube.

Adventurer

[ New ]

https://youtu.be/fugJ2jPKrnk

Well I thought  what if GoPro was Perfect, like Sony and  started to charge for   how they did with the apps. to get features to work and this is what I get.  a lot more people be complaining.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Tourist

[ New ]

...Smiley Wink and I thought: 

why is a feature that worked fine with older hardware and the same software NOT also working with a new hardware...?

about app-fees: they dont do it because they dont want to be bankrupt THAT fast.

Nomad

[ New ]

The reason is that the underlying data structure the telemetry is recorded in has changed recently. Quik is not ready to interpret the change, and developers are not fixing it because they're working on a new desktop app.

Until they release the new software (I'm guessing at some point after the holidays), the only thing we can do is use alternative telemetry software, or use the GPS Quick Fix app to modify the videos to be readable by Quik, or downgrade the camera to old firmware and change the Quik config.

Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna this is the best response I've heard.  Why does GoPro support not tell us this?  I called twice and spoke to two different people and both just ran through the typical playbook of Factory reset and manual update to try and fix something that is actually working as designed.  GoPro should send out this info to all of their support techs!

Tourist

[ New ]

Erstmal Danke für die Hinweise..... Ich habe mir die Kamera nur aus einem Zweck gekauft: um in 4k bei 60 FPS die GPS Daten aufzuzeichnen und einfach! in ein Video einzufügen... meine Freunde meinten immer das GOPRO kinderleicht funktioniert^^^...naja nach einem Tag Rumprobieren mit der QUIK Desktop APP weiß ich wieder was ich an meiner Sony FDR-AX53 habe ... Das funktioniert ohne app und HEVC ... Ich Probier es bei der GOPRO HERO 9 Nochmal^^

Sightseer

[ New ]

I Turn on my gps ( regional) waited for the logo to turn white then start recording. Still no gps data on my goproquick (mac). I saw some third party app that fixes this issues but why should I have to make such a hassle. Gopro should do something about this. 

Tourist

[ New ]

100% correct you are with this statement. 

Did they reply to you about a solution? Its f ing riddiculous at this point. 

I am about to stop using the GoPro all together because all I wanted was telemetry data to edit, and I have to do the same as you. Throguh the iphone. 

Unbelievable GoPro

Tourist

[ New ]

SOLVED !!!

Ok Garmin came and saved the day. 

No more doing it through the phone's quick app. 

Not the best solution, but somethign to get you by until GOPRO fixes this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81O_D3t2ME

Enjoy

In this video I show how to add GPS overlays to your GoPro footage. This method uses the Garmin Virb editor to add a GPX track to your footage. You can creat...
Tourist

[ New ]

This has been the only solution 

http://racerender.com/RR3/Videos.html

Tourist

[ New ]

Does Gamin VIRB Edit work on GOPRO8 4K 60fps?

I tyr to overlay GPS path on my 4K footage by Gamin app but alway fail...

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, 4k 60fps works for me on Virb Edit (playback is very choppy though). Does your computer support h265 footage?

Adventurer

[ New ]

@jefft   The Manager of Gopro Webhost:

We gopro members here who Use th GPS are not able since Oct 2017 to use the  Desktop Quick   with the Hero 7 and now Hero 8, we all shoul get a free hero 6 to use until the fix comes about.  GoPro team is nevr about talking or getting back to  the site but  just throwing the fix when completed.  this wins many   people over without news.  It is something we like to be updated about,   

We bn directed to use another program can we be refreshed again  if therie is a  a tweak happening to the gps lowering it down to work  at the least?

Inquerring minds wants to know

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm able to get GPS from my HERO8 and HERO7. I mostly use the mobile app, but the free online tool and free virb edit work well for me also. I have no doubt that GoPro is developing an update or new version of the desktop app as I've seen plenty of career postings by GoPro for software engineers with this as being part of the job description.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes Going Mobile is what GoPro is all about.  Vertual reality is not where we live in.

Explorer

[ New ]
Mobile is what most people are about these days.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Exactly.     GoPro next step is t ooverlay wit hte camera only skip the app so no additional steps are needed  turn on the camera press GPS and BAM its on there no more complaints.    yes that is a RUMOR

Explorer

[ New ]
Interesting idea, but then people would complain about not being able to remove telemetry data from their videos.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Actually you can have options   for that via the camera  like they already given us on the  upper lower screen icons.   Imagine that some  common issue and a awesome idea pops up Lol but yeah can not please all.  Lol that is the Dam truth in life.

Tourist

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
Was für eine Aussage! Der Marketingchef würde dich nach solch einem Kommentar wohl am liebsten in die Wüste schicken. Es gibt sicherlich viele Produkte die größtenteils Smartphone User als Zielgruppe sehen. Aber eine Kamera die in 4 k bei 60 FPS und 100 MBit aufnehmen soll gehört sicherlich nicht dazu ....
Aber selbst wenn: sollte das Unternehmen es wie Runtastic machen und offiziel den Desktop Support einstellen.... Wie die 20 Jährigen die einem erzählen wollen das Instagramm das non plus Ultra ist ..... Dafür habe ich schon Zuviele Hypes(Myspace, Aol usw) untergehen sehen...
Na egal ...Ich hoffe das Programm erhält bald sein Update.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hero 8 black gps lock and no data to show gauges in quick desktop (Mac or PC) or speed limit using quick mobile app.

Annoying as - - - -

Is this going to be fixed?
Explorer

[ New ]
Rumor is that GoPro is working on a new desktop app, so yes, it's expected that it will be fixed.

Until then you have options.
The best solution I've found is using the user created Telemetry Extractor and the Garmin desktop app Virb Edit. Both can be used for free and give great results.

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/573412

You can find out more about utilizing GPS (and other Telemetry and metadata captured by the camera) at this GoPro Support group.
https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation
Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro won't note issues ruins reputition.  Mobile app  the way they want you to go for now

Sightseer

[ New ]

Can't get this trick to work, tried with HERO or Hero caps, but it will not work on my desktop laptop. On the IOS app everything works fine (all gps data is recorded in the video file)

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi @jaspert32 ,

Which trick are you referring to? The XML change to Quik? For that to work, you need to revert your camera firmware to an older version. With the new firmware, Quik cannot understand the GPS data, even with the xml hack.

You can find other alternatives here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Sightseer

[ New ]
@kajuna,
I was referring to making a hero8blackGPMF.xml file.
I will check the alternatives, but hopefully GoPro comes with an update of the desktop app soon.
Tourist

[ New ]
Please fix this issue GoPro. App is great too except this issue!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, I am having the same problem. GPS is on, logo is white in the camera before recording video, but when I try to add the gauges, it says NO GPS DATA. Please help! Is my new camera broken???

Tourist

[ New ]

@coolshore54161 wrote:

Hello, I am having the same problem. GPS is on, logo is white in the camera before recording video, but when I try to add the gauges, it says NO GPS DATA. Please help! Is my new camera broken???

No, your camera is not broken.  The Quik software is broken.  Call, tweet, email GoPro to fix this.  According to people on this thread there is a fix coming for the software.  If you use the Android or iPhone app the GPS data is there.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Recall letters for cars are sent out.

recall for food  products are sent out

recall for gopro are HIDDEN.

so yeah gopro should learn how things work in life, notify all who registered. put on the actual box made a sticker, gps desktop software coming in Mid 2020.  Only time they placed a note in was the Promic to UPDATE firmware. that was 2015.

Nomad

[ New ]

Your camera is most likely not broken. Use this tool to check if your videos contain GPS data: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

If they don't, check out this guide on how to get better results: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for your advice. One of the reasons I bought this was for the gauges.

I should not have to spend extra time to “try” and extract the data. This should WORK out of the box.

GoPro has let all of us down and their slow response to FIX their software is and should be embarrassing for such a well know company.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same proiblem here.  Enabled GPS, hit quick record while biking, got home with 10 videos, none has GPS data.  

Garmin figured out GPS 20 years ago, it is amazing that in 2020, GoPro can't seem to get GPS to work.

Fix the darn thing!

Tourist

[ New ]

@valmiles wrote:

Same proiblem here.  Enabled GPS, hit quick record while biking, got home with 10 videos, none has GPS data.  

Garmin figured out GPS 20 years ago, it is amazing that in 2020, GoPro can't seem to get GPS to work.

Fix the darn thing!

We need @GoPro to provide an update!

Explorer

[ New ]
GPS receivers need time to lock into satellites. Even the most advanced drones designed today require time. Once the video has started recording the camera cannot inject GPS data into the file. Using Quick Capture forces the camera to turn on and immediately start recording. The likelihood of satellite lock in the fraction of a second between powering on and the recording starting is very low. If you want to capture GPS data, it's advisable to turn the camera on, verify satellite acquisition, and then start the recording. Of course, verifying isn't always feasible, but giving the camera a minute or two of being on and under a clear unobstructed sky before pressing record with increase the likelihood of obtaining GPS data considerably.
Tourist

[ New ]

Is 2.5 hours enough to lock onto 3 or more GPS signals?  One would think so.

GoPro has no issue chopping a long recording into multiple files.  If it takes 20s to lock on to the signal, a thinking engineer would have probably designed it to wrote out the current file without embedded GPS data and would start a new one with the data.  How about keeping the GPS chip powered on when the rest of the camera is off?

This is not rocket science.  If GoPro cannot figure this out, it is in a wrong business.

Besides, Hero 8 and the like is an action CAM.  Did it not downed onto GoPro that actions CAMs are used exactly like I'm using it while biking.  Quick record, quick off.

Tourist

[ New ]

Not gonna lie, i'm extremely disappointed as well, it's my first and definitely my last GoPro.

Starting by the unfunniest joke i've ever heard, the fact that their own app - that they suggest to use with the camera - isn't actually able to read the files in the first place (suggesting that my hardware isn't good enough to open HEVC files, lol), to the fact that i can't access the GPS data it records without jumping through 2159 hoops to get it imported into another (very expensive) video editing software, to the fact that they suggest that i "fix" my problem with the GPS by buying a fricking $50 third party software. 

This is sorely disappointing, expected much more at this price point - and will make sure that not a single friend&family member wastes money on this camera. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Chaptering due to FAT file system.

It can take much longer than 20 seconds to acquire satellites.

While 3 might be a minimum, you would not get very reliable data with that few. Even if captured, it would most likely get rejected as the reliability score would be way too low. Nine or more locked satellites is ideal.

No, having GPS stay on after camera turns off is not a good idea. However, maybe it could have a standby mode.

It's one of the few action cameras that actually has GPS. Sometimes it's the user that needs to make adjustments and learn to use the equipment correctly. I'm not saying future devices won't be more advanced and may even work better for you. However, if you want to use your device today, it's best if you learn how to do so properly.
Tourist

[ New ]

I think the reason why you're clashing with some users is your simple unwillingness to accept that the GoPro isn't a coherent system, paired with the fact that you're trying to downplay very real issues. 

No, it doesn't take much longer than 20 seconds to acquire satellites. My Mavics don't need longer. If they don't, and they're compact systems too, then there's no excuse for the GoPro either. 

The camera never "turns off" anyway, or do you think it's magic that you can remotely turn it on via your phone/wifi? The WiFi module is active even if the cam is off. No reason to not include GPS as well. 

But here's where you lost the plot completely, by the looks. A user sometimes needs to make adjustments and learn to use "the equipment correctly" - he is. It's an action cam, designed (by the looks) to take 1 minute action clips. If he needs to wait 5 minutes before the camera (for no real reason, i want to add) is able to do its advertised job, there's not much "action" in the cam, is there. That doesn't even touch the fact that EVEN IF he gets a signal and it records, neither the desktop app nor sometimes the app are able to even use that data (and i did test it deliberately yesterday - waited for the "white GPS marker", drove around the block, checked if it still had signal after the recording - imported in both the app and desktop app - no data there, used third party apps to see if the data was there - used VIRB to double check, works). 

I appreciate that you like GoPro, we all have stuff that we love, but fanboying over a clearly flawed (and partially broken if you take Quik into account as well) product doesn't help users nor does it help the product itself. 

For comparison, my Mavics never need more than 10 seconds to acquire 7-9 satellites. In literally the same spot as the GoPro. 

Hell, i could deal with it taking forever to get a signal, if it were reliable then, but not even that is a given. You can have a GPS signal and still not use the tools given to you by GoPro to actually do anything with it - who's fault is it exactly when the apps tell you "no signal data" if you record with a lit icon? And to be clear, i recorded in 2.7k50, so it's not an HEVC file excuse either. 

Here's the thing, if it were a "bonus", sure. But it's an advertised feature that simply doesn't work properly. There's no excuses for that, regardless of how hard you're trying to shift the blame to the users (which is ridiculous in the first place). 

Adventurer

[ New ]

@renea3515 wrote:

Not gonna lie, i'm extremely disappointed as well, it's my first and definitely my last GoPro.

Starting by the unfunniest joke i've ever heard, the fact that their own app - that they suggest to use with the camera - isn't actually able to read the files in the first place (suggesting that my hardware isn't good enough to open HEVC files, lol), to the fact that i can't access the GPS data it records without jumping through 2159 hoops to get it imported into another (very expensive) video editing software, to the fact that they suggest that i "fix" my problem with the GPS by buying a fricking $50 third party software. 

This is sorely disappointing, expected much more at this price point - and will make sure that not a single friend&family member wastes money on this camera. 

Post a outside link to their own software, gopro  accepts it, says a lot about them, Gopro that is,and that is the Solution to the problem is resolved.  Oh buy a Max 360 and hte  inhousesoftware is  a future date relesae, since hte Fusion was out.    gopro needs to make a flying car.  and leap outof it and tell us the seat belts worked. they forgot about a parachute. lightyears awayy from a  desktop app, its  not gopro it is GoPRo.