Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Got the New hero 8 and I turned on the GPS and on my video clips that were taken outside it says there is no GPS data is this a known bug or is my camera Defective 

Tourist

Re: No GPS Data Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Hi, received my HERO 8 this week and have tried the GPS and it works, but only if the GPS icon is solid which means you have a GPS signal. It might not be as good as dedicated GPS devices.

all the best, Rickard

Explorer

[ New ]
A couple of things about this.
First, the GPS is only going to work well in open areas AND when there are enough satellites for the camera to lock onto. KP index can also cause issues.

Second, the app was recently updated and par of that update was increasing the threshold for acceptable GPS data when using the overlays. This might seem backwards, because now less videos that actually do have GPS data can actually display it. But, the reason is because the threshold used to be so low that people were getting wildly inaccurate results (going 60 MPH when parked, flying planes 2 meters off the ground, ...). GoPro is continuing to fie tune the app, so it will be more accurate and effective.

Lastly, a member created a metadata extractor that you can use. It will pull any data captured by your camera. You can find it here
https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

Be aware. The GPS icon not only needs to be showing, but it also has to be lit showing a connection. It works best if you wait about a minute AFTER seeing it has a connection before you press the Shutter to record. Quick Capture will give limited results.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine is doing the same thing, I can't seem to get the gps to work outside even after waiting for the gps light to come on. When I bring it home and upload the footage to Quik desktop, it says no gps data.

Tourist

[ New ]

Its a bug if your using Quik for Desktop, it wont display GPS data under Adjust Gauges.  You will need to use your mobile phone - gopro app, and there you can use Edit, Stickers, these can add your GPS data - speed, etc, if this is what you are after.

I have also tried playing with Dashware (no go) and RaceRender (displays speed only) and GoPro Telemetry Extactor... although they can extract the data OK, they cant read it properly... I think we need to wait for someone to create a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml DataProfile...

Tourist

[ New ]

A factory reset and so card format fixed the issue 

Tourist

[ New ]

Strange, I was advised that by Support and made no change in Quik for Desktoip (this wasadvised to be uninstalled and reinstalled as well).

As I said, GPS is attached to the Video, as it works in the mobile GoPro app, just not the Quik for Desktop.

So is it working in your Quik for Desktop ok?  Mines Windows, is your a Mac?

Hiker

[ New ]

Same problem...Turning on the camara, waiting 5min before starting recording, GPS is white. When i try to add the speed stickers after recording it says no GPS data. Factory reset and formating didn´t work

Nomad

[ New ]

We created a FAQ post that answers some of these questions here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Also, as Daniel pointed out, you can use the Telemetry Extractor to evaluate whether the problem is in the camera or in the software
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

(as exaplined, currently Quik for desktop has problems with Hero8 footage, which should be fixed at some point)

Tourist

[ New ]
Grazie per aver condiviso la FAQ. Ho avuto lo stesso problema, pur formattando la scheda SD e facendo un reset della videocamera non ho risolto. Proverò con l’app mobile, cercando di aggiungere gli adesivi. Ma come mai in luoghi dove altri dispositivi GPS prendono (tipo l’Apple Watch) la GoPro non prende? Esistono degli attachement per amplificare il segnale GPS in zone coperte?
Nomad

[ New ]

@zuchi13 Other devices can get better GPS signal, even indoors, because they use cellular antennas for reference. GoPros can only use GPS satellites, which are not always visible. Maybe the Apple Watch takes advantage of the cellular signal of your phone?

You can attach an external GPS antenna to a GoPro via bluetooth, but that will probably not enable the stickers, as the data format will be very different (I believe). That would be something interesting to try, anyway.

Hiker

[ New ]

Also...Karte formatiert, GoPro zurückgesetzt, bei der Montage die GoPro gemäß FAQs ausgerichtet. Eingeschaltet und gewartet mit dem Beginn der Aufnahme, bis das GPS Symbol in der Kamera weiß ist.
Resultat im fertigen Video...keine GPS Daten vorhanden :(
Das Analyse Tool zeigt ebenfalls an, das keine Daten vorhanden sind...

Zum Thema GPS und Mobilfunkantenne....meine Fenix 5X hat definitv keine Mobilfunkantenne integriert...und da funktioniert der Empfang

Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna grazie per le delucidazioni. Tuttavia ho provato ad aggiungere il tachimetro dall'applicazione mobile Quik, senza riscontrare positività. Infatti, appare il messaggio "No Data" pur avendo il segnale gps attivo e in bianco. Se a questo punto fosse un problema di firmware della GoPro? 

Mattia

Tourist

[ New ]

I have same problem here... Factory reset and formating didn´t work...
I can extract telemetry at https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#
Should be fine for the movie took by Goporo Hero 8 & something wrong with the Quick software but it works well for the video I took by Gopro Hero 5...

Tourist

[ New ]

Ottimo! I dati vengono estratti, quindi posso assolutamente rimuovere il dubbio GoPro

Nomad

[ New ]

@riddla80 If the GPS icon was white and you still get no GPS data here: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

I would say your unit is defective. Try contacting GoPro support

@loyalgorge14018 Quik for desktop (mac/win) apparently does not suport Hero8 gauges yet, as explainded here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Tourist

[ New ]

Add me in on the fun of Hero 8 footage not showing any tele options in Quik/Splice phone apps(iPhone 11 Pro). I have GPS turned on as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna ci sono rumors per quanto riguarda l'aggiornamento di Quik?

Nomad

[ New ]
@zuchi13 Not that I know of
Nomad

[ New ]
@izzyisaac do yo get a white GPS icon before you hit record?

Do you get any GPS data with the extractor? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free
Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna I have never looked for it on any of my other previous generation ones and it always worked. I just went outside to test it after your question and made sure there was a filled in white GPS icon and the clip still shows GPS ONLY over all the stickers when I try to apply to the new clip.

The good news is it finally gives me a Horizon Leveling option with this new clip. The previous two weekends batch of media does not give me the option under Framing.

Tourist

[ New ]

@kajuna I just checked and there is GPS data on the file.

GoPro-GPS-Test.png
Tourist

[ New ]
Cool! So this means that your problem is the same as people who’s trying to use data on Quik, me included.
Hiker

[ New ]

same here.... gopro 8 .... no gauges....  buggy software as it best

Nomad

[ New ]
For those having the problem on Windows, a user found a possible workaround here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-...

It remains to be seen whether this works on mac too.

For other telemetry related questions, see the FAQ post: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...
Adventurer

[ New ]

I learned  GoPro gone Mobile no longer catering a desktop. so a few reasonswhy gps Stickers were made vs guages

Hiker

[ New ]

Same for me on my GoPro 8, though I found my files did have gps data fortunately as was going batty earlier. I used the online telmetry tool and downloaded VIRBs editor just to verify all was there. Come on GoPro. Parallel a nice application, not app with your tools/cameras. I still use GoPro Studio. A couple of hitches in use but I know them. All my options there and performs quickly besides the file coversion. Going to see if the VIRB exported transparent overlays work there. 

garmintelemetry.JPG
Sightseer

[ New ]

Has there been any progress on this?  I've done the Factory Reset and Format and I'm using the Android app.  GoPro Quik doesn't work either.  The telemetry data is there, but no GoPro app sees it.  I've got no issue with GPS lock.  This track shows the path I took through a grocery store.  Clearly the location has some error, but drifting outside of the store isn't the same as putting me in another state or even another zip code.

GH010342.gpx-533.png
Hiker

[ New ]

Like other people on this topic, I have tried everything. I have an icon that says I have a GPS signal, but I can get no app that will display it. I had a GoPro 5 and it worked great. The 8 is a complete pain in the... 1. I always used an external power supply on my GoPro 5. On the 8, I even bought a Chinese extra door so I could use an external power supply safely, but sometimes, GoPro 8 works. Other times it shuts down. I have no way of knowing while on my ride it has shut down, so I can't use it. 2. On the GoPro 5, GPS always worked. I turned the camera on before I left my house, and it always worked. 3. Today, I saw that there was an update. It continued on and on and then said the update failed. The video is great, but my patience is a little thin right now

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the same issue no GPS data

Explorer

[ New ]
If the camera recorded GPS data, you can extract it (and much more, especially with the paid version) with this member created program https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

You can learn more about it, and how to use the data, in this group https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation
Hiker

[ New ]

i paid enough for this overhyped camera and his buggy software.... so they are unable to fix this well known issue within 4 ore more weeks...   they spend more to use the money for marketing as for working sw...   note: the 360degrees model has the same problems...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same situation, GPS is on (white icon) ... but no GPS data in Quik app (desktop/mobile)... I can extract it but not for ~400euros... They should focus much more on reliability than on marketing... Cat Mad

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro knows the issue is there.  You think GoPro can address it by allowing it to work at  the least, while they fix it?  No they don't want you to have a troublesome experience.   GoPro  wont say its fixed its in teh New App they simply KEEP SILENT! how  companies work if they spoke up then people DITCH goPro

Sightseer

[ New ]

I was able to get the data using Virb Edit and https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/#

So the date is there migh be something with the actual software?

Explorer

[ New ]

Just a little history.

The Quik Desktop app and the GoPro mobile app used to accept, and display, any GPS data that was captured by the camera.  There are many factors that go into the ability to capture accurate data (read more about it here), so just capturing isn't enough.  The reliability of the data is very important.  Back when GoPro was allowing all data to be accepted and used in the apps, people were complaining about inaccurate data.  Sometimes it could be wildly off and was basically useless.  To improve the user experience (not getting bad results and inaccurate data) GoPro increased the threshold for acceptable data.  All GPS data streams have a reliability category.  If, for example, your camera only has a few satellites locked and the data streams are not always consistent, then the reliability level drops.  With the new changes, this shows as GPS not Available when you try to add these gages/stickers to your video.  Since GPS was captured, you can use 3rd party apps, like the amazing GoPro Telemetry Extractor created by GoPro member @kajuna, but you should be aware that the data might not be 100% if it doesn't display in the GoPro app (although you do also get a lot more data to inspect and play around with). If the data does show with the GoPro app, then the data extracted with the GoPro Telemetry Extractor will be equally as reliable.

GoPro has stated  that they are evaluating the best way to handle the GPS data so that it can be accurately displayed through gages/stickers in the GoPro app.  There have been hints that a new desktop app is in the works, but this is completely unverified.  If true, however, it would explain the lack of changes to the desktop app recently.  As far as the mobile app (Android/iOS), these are continuously being updated at a pretty steady pace.  The effort has been primarily on the editing aspect of the app, but GoPro has stated that improving the GPS stickers is on their radar (and has recieved some attention with the latest update).

Sightseer

[ New ]
hello and i have the same problem with gps it says yes and when i process clips with quic there is no data from gps and i also have 360 ​​degrees by turning it to shoot the videos are head down. Please fix it.
Explorer

[ New ]
This is a member to member support community. We are not GoPro. If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Hiker

[ New ]
are u kidding??? serious?? there are a lot of gopro support employees here...
and by the way: do you really wanna know what support said/wrote regarding this issue?? go back to the retailer and exchange the device....
no more words needed....
Hiker

[ New ]
history?
stop this well known standard texting. gopro takes all our money and they threw millions in marketing instead deliver propper software.

its totally regardless if the develop new software... i paid for the cam and software... and this have to run....
Explorer

[ New ]
GoPro uses the UBlox UBX-M8030-CT GPS receiver in their cameras. This is a high quality GPS receiver https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/ubx-m8030-series

Bad data can and will happen. The camera is just receiving that data and saving it as metadata in the media. GoPro doesn't control NASA and Russian satellites. Before GoPro increased the threshold, there were more post about the apps displaying inaccurate data than there are now post about no data.

@fireyflash16
I've read plenty of your rage post and have also seen plenty of people who have tried to assist you with workable solutions. The mobile app was recently rebuilt from the ground up and has been receiving frequent updates. Although GoPro has spent millions on the mobile app division and the GoPro mobile app engineers are obviously working very hard to improve the entire app experience, the GPS portion still needs fine tuning (it does work, but requires very accurate satellite data).

I get the idea that you paid for the camera and software as they are part of the GoPro ecosystem, but GoPro's Dashware and even the Mobile app (Quik Story) are free and since they work with videos captured with other cameras, no, you did not pay for them when you purchased the camera.

You seem to want to imply that I am a GoPro employee or that I'm using standard texting (whatever that means). Nope, big swing and miss there pal. GoPro took all your money? Sorry to hear about your dire straits. If you think that GoPro is some huge company making money hand over fist, again you are way off mark. With less than a thousand total employees world wide and several years of not making a profit (the founder and CEO doesn't even make a salary), GoPro is hardly the big mean corporation you seem to think they are. Interesting that your business acumen leads you to think that spending money in marketing somehow hurts the ability for innovation . Just a little info for you, but GoPro spends an almost equal amount on R&D as they do on marketing. Marketing = Sales and Sales = $$ for R&D.

As far as GoPro support advising to exchange the camera... Well, unfortunately the front line support employees are not always the most informed. It's unfortunate for sure, but I have noticed that sometimes you can get a rep that isn't as well informed as others. Instead of exchanging the camera, the first step should just be to check and see if the user is giving the camera enough time to acquire a GPS signal before starting a recording. Using an app like UAV Forecast can also give an indication of how likely it will be that good data will be received. If the user is in an open area with the camera unobstructed and there is a high probability of 9 satellite locks or more with a low kp index, AND the camera is given at least 1-5 minutes after the GPS icon shows connection, then GPS data should be captured. If the app does not display the GPS stickers, then checking the GPS metadata with the GoPro Telemetry Extractor https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/ can let you know if it is a camera issue or just the app not accepting the data. Obviously, if it's not the camera, exchanging the camera wont improve the situation.

@fireyflash16
This is a member to member support community. You can rage post all you want, but it's not going to get you any closer to the solution you want. If I offer up a little history of the app and GPS data, it's just that. Who are you to tell me to stop? Only your angry incoherent post are allowed?
Hiker

[ New ]

woww... @danielr15 ... so mucht text... must have time...

just short:

1. dont agree with you
  2. gopro app and desktop are free?? no, they're not. they are included when i buy this cam and always promoted as official app. just see and refer https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero8-black/CHDHX-801-master.html/#hero8black
  3. seems that you are not really up to date to my posts...  https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-... concerning the subject "Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges" tells all the story including that i used already the well known thirdparty and free tools
  4. so stop telling that i wont use the help from others...  i've done all the recommandations and support stories
  5. i don't care about's ceo's salary. for sure he will not work for free....
  6. and when you would be well informed read my posts and steps i already made
  7. and thank you about "help" using and understanding gps... i am pretty good on the track with all existing positionings technologies...

have a nice day and enjoy

Explorer

[ New ]
How long did that take you? Took a very brief amount of time for me to write my thoughts in the post above. Sorry if you find it more difficult to do so.

Anyway, it's fine if you disagree, but your comprehension is lacking. I never said that you weren't using help from others. Your example of the app being something you purchased when buying the camera in no way validates your position. It's a free add on, sure, you can look at it that way if you wish, but it's not something that comes with the camera. Believe it or not, plenty of people who use GoPro cameras that never download or use the app. The Media Mod, Display Mod, and Light Mod are also shown. Did you get those too? You apparently DO care about the money GoPro is making, you keep bitching about, " gopro takes all our money and they threw millions in marketing". Your welcome for the advice on using and understanding GPS. I hope it helps.

To be clear, you are the one who went out of his way to attack my post. You started off your rant with, "are u kidding??? serious?? there are a lot of gopro support employees here..." apparently trying to imply that I am a GoPro employee. You are the one trying to dictate what others can post. "stop this well known standard texting."...ummm, how about, no.

I've never written that the Quik Destop app is great or doesn't need work. I also did not say anything similar about the mobile app. Your self centered view seems to have made you think that my original "history" was directed only to you. It wasn't. What I wrote is true. There were far more complaints about bad GPS data being displayed than what the forum is seeing now regarding no GPS data. For most people, the initial concern about not getting GPS displayed is whether or not the GPS sensor in the camera is working or not. My comment was aimed primarily at addressing this concern and also to offer a little explanation as to why the data is not showing currently. Of course, once people know whether or not the camera is collecting the GPS data they want to know how to get it into their videos, but suggestions for this have already been made in this post and elsewhere. As I've stated, You can learn more about it, and how to use the data, in this group https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

I am in no way saying that the Desktop or mobile app are perfect and flawless (although the mobile app is getting better and better with frequent updates). However, this is a member to member support community. If you just come here to rage post, fine, but that's not what most people are looking for. If you want to give feedback for GoPro, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback

You don't need to attack my comments just because you're angry at GoPro. I'm not an employee, I don't own stock in the company, and I don't develop the software. You might not find my post helpful or having any value, but perhaps it will be of value to someone else. Maybe not. Either way, you turned this into a silly back and forth between the two of us. Let it go.

BTW, it took about 3 1/2 minutes for me to write this (and I was interrupted twice while doing so).
Adventurer

[ New ]

this did not fix my GoPro App GPS gray issue guys.  while on my camera t is WHITE how long do I wait for the fix.

DOcument, talk, debate. its not Sunday! and the Comics are out.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

Thank you GoPro GPS today worked PERFECT.  Please help these other  people out.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Is anyone from Gopro helping you with this? I only bought this gopro for the GPS feature and I can't get it working either.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Who you referring that question to.   

Last update was Nov 16th on the App, nov 25th on the  camera and  I did try this before, but today it worked so I cahulk it up to FW 1.50 working and reflashing say a few times.

Sightseer

[ New ]
To the original poster who had the gps issues.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@phlebbpw wrote:
To the original poster who had the gps issues.

Post 5 fixed his issue @rcplanedude  was the poster you referred to , if he is still available.