Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: No Files Found

I am still having trouble with transferring files and gopro quik recognizing the Hero5

quik would see the hero5, but labeled it as simply gopro like the screenshot above and no files. Eventually got the files transferred with sd card reader.

Read about some issues with sandisk, so bought a lexar. Reformatted in computer, test footage, connected seemed to work. Took a bunch of footage and now having trouble again reading Hero5 on my computer, which is a brand new computer. Won't read on either standard USB or USB-C.

In the windows file explorer, it recognizes it as a Hero5, but Quik is not seeing it at all. Normally, Quik would show the Hero5 icon and then no files to transfer, but Quik isnt seeing the Hero5 while windows is correctly recognizing it. But windows does not see any files to import when there clearly are on the camera.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@spikemd - Our cameras aren't set up to be recognized by Windows as a standalone item like you might see with other cameras, jump drives, etc. It will recognize the SD card if it's inserted using a SD card adapter in this way though.

For the camera to be recognized, you'll need to use Quik for Desktop. Connect the camera to the computer using the cable and then power the camera on to start the sync. I'm not sure what you meant when you said it didn't work by USB or USB-C. If you have a HERO5 camera, USB-C is what you want to use. Is your computer not recognizing any gear that you're connecting through the USB ports?

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

To clarify, I tried both a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable in multiple USB slots on the computer. Windows sees the device as Hero5 but Quik isn't recognizing it.

Previously, even if there was no media on the sd card, Quik would recognize the Hero5 and display such.

Neither windows nor Quik is seeing the files on the Hero5.

I cleaned the USB port on the camera as best I could with alcohol swab.

The camera is charging fine through the USB cable.

I included a screenshot to show windows seeing the device, but Quik not doing anything.

2017-06-15_LI.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

@spikemd I would recommend reaching out to support directly on this one. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus They should be able to help sort this out for you.

Ryan

Highlighted
Anonymous

My PC no longer recognizes the files on my gopro.  I plugged it in through the USB and uploaded pictures and videos just yesterday.  I took a bunch more of them today and now it says "This folder is empty" when I plug in the gopro, which I know is not true.  I am doing exactly what I did just yesterday.  This is terribly frustrating.  Do you have any advice?

The device is a brand new Hero 5 Session.  My PC is an HP Ultrabook operating Windows 8.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hello, I'm having this problem with my Hero 4 Silver. I'm not allowed to have Quik for desktop as I don't have a 64 bit machine so I'm just running an old version of GoPro Studio, the newest version I could find that would run on my tablet. How would you suggest I get my files off without, y'know, buying a whole new tablet? With all the software issues I've been having with Studio and the app on my phone I'm starting to bitterly regret buying a GoPro. It's turning into a very expensivd tiny useless box.

Highlighted
Explorer

Use a USB or SD card adapter and just plug your microSD directly into the computer. It will work faster and more reliably this way.

As far as editing software, Studio can work but requires a pretty powerful machine to be stable. Make sure you turn auto save OFF (Edit>Preferences>AutoSave).

You don't have to use Studio so you might want to consider using another free editor. Here are some links to check out.

http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download (GoPro recommended)

https://actiongadgetsreviews.com/best-gopro-editing-software

https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/19v6u5/basic_guide_to_pc_video_editing_software/

Highlighted
Anonymous

Brilliant, the SD card reader worked a treat. Wish I'd bought one sooner :)

I'll check out the other software when I get a chance, if anyone knows which is the simplest one to use plesse let me know. I generally only use it to lift stills :)