Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Night diving settings

Hello,
I would like to ask you, what video settings do you recommend for a gopro hero 7 black during night diving with light source.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Night diving settings

What type of light source and what is the purpose of your recording?
If it's just for dashcam, then your "best" setting is going to be 1080p/24fps Spot metered with exposure control in SuperView. The exposure control (page 44 & 45 of manual) will keep the image exposed to the center of the image and SuperView will ensure that you are capturing the most vertical and horizontal image. 1080p to save space on your SD card and 24fps to allow the camera to use a slower shutter.

For even more options and control over the image, here are some other thoughts to consider:

For Dashcam footage, it's generally more important to have a bright image than a clean image. For this reason, I would increase the MAX ISO to 3200 or even 6400.  If having a clean image (less noise) is more important and you don't mind a darker image, then set the Max ISO to 800 or even as low as 400.  MIN ISO can be 100 in either instance but it will work best in consistent lighting if both MIN and MAX are set to the same value.  Another option will be to set the WB kelvin to around 5500k.  You'll need to adjust this to taste, but locking this to a value rather than having the camera automatically try to keep adjusting generally turns out better.  If you are using the camera as a dashcam or don't mind doing the extra work color grading in an editor, then set this to Native.

Sharpness will generally look best at night if you set it to Low.

Color is also personal preference. I personally like to set my color to Flat, especially when recording at night.  For me, it's easier to correct in post with my editor without introducing more noise.

If you want a higher resolution, you might also want to 4K (4:3)/24fps.  You will get standard stabilization in this mode and it generally works better in low light than Hypersmooth.

If you need Hypersmooth, and stabilization is a priority, then you need to set the shutter to 1/240 or faster and use either 30fps or 60fps.  This is going to cause the image to be considerably darker so you will need to raise the MAX ISO to achieve brightness (but also introduce more noise/grain).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

What type of light source and what is the purpose of your recording?
If it's just for dashcam, then your "best" setting is going to be 1080p/24fps Spot metered with exposure control in SuperView. The exposure control (page 44 & 45 of manual) will keep the image exposed to the center of the image and SuperView will ensure that you are capturing the most vertical and horizontal image. 1080p to save space on your SD card and 24fps to allow the camera to use a slower shutter.

For even more options and control over the image, here are some other thoughts to consider:

For Dashcam footage, it's generally more important to have a bright image than a clean image. For this reason, I would increase the MAX ISO to 3200 or even 6400.  If having a clean image (less noise) is more important and you don't mind a darker image, then set the Max ISO to 800 or even as low as 400.  MIN ISO can be 100 in either instance but it will work best in consistent lighting if both MIN and MAX are set to the same value.  Another option will be to set the WB kelvin to around 5500k.  You'll need to adjust this to taste, but locking this to a value rather than having the camera automatically try to keep adjusting generally turns out better.  If you are using the camera as a dashcam or don't mind doing the extra work color grading in an editor, then set this to Native.

Sharpness will generally look best at night if you set it to Low.

Color is also personal preference. I personally like to set my color to Flat, especially when recording at night.  For me, it's easier to correct in post with my editor without introducing more noise.

If you want a higher resolution, you might also want to 4K (4:3)/24fps.  You will get standard stabilization in this mode and it generally works better in low light than Hypersmooth.

If you need Hypersmooth, and stabilization is a priority, then you need to set the shutter to 1/240 or faster and use either 30fps or 60fps.  This is going to cause the image to be considerably darker so you will need to raise the MAX ISO to achieve brightness (but also introduce more noise/grain).

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just a quick question - is your response to the question about night DIVING or night DRIVING? I'm not sure I understand the reference to "Dashcam" in your response.

Highlighted
Explorer

LOL, sorry about that. Umm, I guess my "Solution" was for driving into a lake at night.

I'm sorry, I don't really have any first hand experience with diving at night. Perhaps someone who does will see this and be able to respond.

My guess would be something close to the following:
Shutter: Auto
EV: 0
ISO MIN: 100
ISO MAX: 800
WB: I'd set this manually or use Native if you can color correct in a good video editor like DaVinci Resolve. The actual kelvin temp that you should pick is really dependent on your light source. You could probably figure this out on dry land in a pitch black room and your light and camera.
Sharpness: Medium (Low if you have a good editor and want to be able to fine tune the look)
Color: Flat (GoPro if you aren't going to color grade)

Make sure Hypersmooth stabilization is OFF

FOV: I prefer Wide and to do any needed lens correction in an editor. It's not that extreme, so most of the time I don't do any correction. Any of the 4:3 modes will ensure that you capture everything, but you will need to adjust for a 16:9 view in your editor. Superview is the ultimate for capturing everything, but the fish eye is significant. I wouldn't use Linear, unless you are getting a lot of close up shots (it just crops too much).

As far as resolution/frame rate: Once you know what FOV you want to use, you can consider the Resolution/Frame rate (some don't have Superview or Linear). 4K is always good, but personally I find 2.7K to be the sweet spot for excellent video and not as much storage ad battery. 30fps or 24fps will allow you to get the most light to the sensor. You might get a little more blur than with 60fps when there is considerable movement, but 60fps wont be any good if you can't see anything. if you do decide to use 60fps, be sure to turn Auto Low Light OFF.

Turn GPS and Voice commands off to conserve battery. Use Quick Capture as well.

Set the Orientation to UP so that you don't accidentally record in vertical mode. It also tends to help with preventing freezing. Lower the LCD brightness to 50-75% to conserve battery. In darkness you don't need it too bright. many divers prefer to have the LCD stay on during their dive. If you choose a long LCD timeout, be sure to lower the brightness considerably or you will kill the battery fast.

Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hilarious - but I think I'll still be using some of your recommended settings - especially when it comes to saving battery (e.g. no point in having voice commands on underwater!!!). Thank you.