Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Newbie Video for running settings

[ New ]

I strapped the GoPro on to my husband (using the chest strap), turned it on and pressed "start" on top of the camera, and he went for a run. The settings I used were TimeWarp 1080, 10X. That worked really great in the open on sidewalks and street. But when he got into the woods the camera struggled (I guess it couldn't keep a good sense of the horizon). The film there was more blocky and jerky. Is there anything that could be changed with those settings to allow the woods' run to look better? 

I'm the techy person in the family so it needs to be something that requires not too much messing with the camera. Really it requires having a better overall setting to begin with.

Thanks.

GoPro

Re: Newbie Video for running settings

[ New ]

Hello @pammm56

Is this observed with a certain recording? Have you tried using a different setting?

We'd like to check on this further.

Would you be able to share a sample file?

You can upload it to Youtube and post the link here.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I will try, but I will first trim it a bit. Being a newbie that might take a minute or two.....

Tourist

[ New ]

Here's the trimmed video (it is lower quality than the original, but I think you will be able to see the difference).

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCT4AsCQP-BYhsXMhqA1lbTw/videos/upload?filter=%5B%5D&sort=%7B%22c...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @pammm56

Can you please check the link again?

We are getting this error: Oops! Something went wrong.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

These links won't work as you keep sending on your youtube studio link copied from your browser window.  Unless you're going to give people your private logon, they cannot see what's in your personal youtube studio page.

Instead, open the video in a new window, click on the "Share" button and it will give you the option to copy the video link to clipboard.

Post that link here.  It should look something like "https://youtu.be/1kVTYclGorU"

In this video I show you how to manually update the firmware on your GoPro. This video was made using the GoPro Hero 8 however the exact same procedure appl...
Tourist

[ New ]

https://youtu.be/FjlLgs_mgRg

I should probably make it high resolution. (I hope this works. I do appreciate the help.)

Run from Street to Forest
Nomad

[ New ]

Higher resolution would have helped alright, as would increasing your bit rate, the video is very blocky.

There's always going to be some degredation in video quality depending on your video editor and output settings but more on that another time.

So here's the thing with Hypersmooth.  Hypersmooth does a great job of keeping the horizon nice and level.  If you look at the broad day light shots of him running (and I assume that was timewarp otherwise he runs REALLY fast...) the horizon is always nice and level.  This is not only because it's very nice and bright out, but there's no real "Close" objects to him as he runs.

When he enters the woods however, not only does the light drop significantly (and this will cause blurring issues to be observed as EIS or Hypersmooth doesn't work well in low light conditions) you also can no longer see the horizon.  Instead he's now running through trees which are very close to him.  If the tree's were invisible, you'd see the Horizon is still nice and level, however since they are not, you can see much more motion now as the focal point of the stabiliztion is further away than the tree's are.

It may help to set the GoPro sharpness to medium and increase the resolution to 4K instead of 1080P.  However your options are limited using Timewarp.  Normal video with hypersmooth I'd recommend increasing the shutter speed manually and bumping up the ISO to compensate, but this isn't applicable to timewarp.

The simple fact is that with close objects (tree's) and in lower lighting conditions, it's always going to be blurry unfortunately.

Tourist

[ New ]

This comment was interesting to me (a newbie who has tried to figure things out using the very thick manual for the Hero9): "It may help to set the GoPro sharpness to medium and increase the resolution to 4K instead of 1080P.  However your options are limited using Timewarp.  Normal video with hypersmooth I'd recommend increasing the shutter speed manually and bumping up the ISO to compensate, but this isn't applicable to timewarp."

I have the capability (the software and hardware, not the knowledge) to use and modify a full resolution, normal video for the run (it would take about 35 minutes—my husband and I are 74). But I would love it if someone would say, "record at this size and speed and then in your software do 'this' to reduce the time to 3 minutes (kind of a cheat time warp)."

Thanks.