Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad
Accepted Solution

New tool to view/convert GPS and sensor data

Hi!

I just published a vbeta version of my new tool to easily view and convert sensor data from our GoPros.

To make the most out of it, record your videos with the GPS option enabled.

Let me know if you encounter errors and if you'd like to stay tuned with gopro telemetry/sensors stuff, join us in the metadata group :)

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: New tool to view/convert GPS and sensor data

[ Edited ]

I just published a video made with these tools (the Telemetry Extractor and the After Effects template).

I bring you good news. The app is compatible with the Hero 8 out of the box!

I also want to thank everyone that is using the app, and I encourage you to post your videos too!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Wow, nice. Going to play with this when i get time.

Keep up the good work

Nomad

I think the link is broken. While I fix it, this one should work 

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

Nomad

I just published a major update to the tool. Now you can export potentially unlimited sensors (any that GoPro decides to add in the future) in many different formats. Some of the interesting ones: ISO, Shutter Speed, White Balance and Face tracking! You can also filter the data to get better results and export for After Effects to create your own data visualisation.

Annotation 2019-06-16 143159.png

Hope you guys like it.

Explorer

Great stuff, thanks!
Nomad

Is there an offline version of the tool available?  I think that's something that people would actually pay for.

Nomad

@irishmanpdx Not for now.

I'm not sure what the benefits of an offline tool would be (other than being able to sell it). The web app does not send the video through the Internet, just a small metadata payload (about 1MB usually), and a desktop version would probably have to be tailored for each operating system, potentially creating problems for some users, while the online one works well on most platforms.

I'd love to know your view on this, though. If there's enough interest I will certainly spend time building it.

Nomad

There are some benefits to having it offline.  

1:  Some people  travel a lot and do editing on the go, may not have access to an internet connection while editing their work.  So uploading not an option when extracting GPS data to use with 3rd party tools.

2:  If using a secured network, your website could be firewalled from access.  I know this is true of a lot of website that are earmarked as personal blogs etc.  

I actually downloaded the previous version of your tool that pretty much just exports the GPS data with no further options.  While it's not pretty, it does the job perfectly.