Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

New tool to view/convert GPS and sensor data

[ New ]

Hi!

I just published a vbeta version of my new tool to easily view and convert sensor data from our GoPros.

To make the most out of it, record your videos with the GPS option enabled.

Let me know if you encounter errors and if you'd like to stay tuned with gopro telemetry/sensors stuff, join us in the metadata group :)

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: New tool to view/convert GPS and sensor data

[ New ]

I just published a video made with these tools (the Telemetry Extractor and the After Effects template).

I bring you good news. The app is compatible with the Hero 8 out of the box!

I also want to thank everyone that is using the app, and I encourage you to post your videos too!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Wow, nice. Going to play with this when i get time.

Keep up the good work

Nomad

[ New ]

I think the link is broken. While I fix it, this one should work 

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

Nomad

[ New ]

I just published a major update to the tool. Now you can export potentially unlimited sensors (any that GoPro decides to add in the future) in many different formats. Some of the interesting ones: ISO, Shutter Speed, White Balance and Face tracking! You can also filter the data to get better results and export for After Effects to create your own data visualisation.

Annotation 2019-06-16 143159.png

Hope you guys like it.

Explorer

[ New ]
Great stuff, thanks!
Nomad

[ New ]

Is there an offline version of the tool available?  I think that's something that people would actually pay for.

Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx Not for now.

I'm not sure what the benefits of an offline tool would be (other than being able to sell it). The web app does not send the video through the Internet, just a small metadata payload (about 1MB usually), and a desktop version would probably have to be tailored for each operating system, potentially creating problems for some users, while the online one works well on most platforms.

I'd love to know your view on this, though. If there's enough interest I will certainly spend time building it.

Nomad

[ New ]

There are some benefits to having it offline.  

1:  Some people  travel a lot and do editing on the go, may not have access to an internet connection while editing their work.  So uploading not an option when extracting GPS data to use with 3rd party tools.

2:  If using a secured network, your website could be firewalled from access.  I know this is true of a lot of website that are earmarked as personal blogs etc.  

I actually downloaded the previous version of your tool that pretty much just exports the GPS data with no further options.  While it's not pretty, it does the job perfectly.  

Nomad

[ New ]
Yes. The batch script version works, but only on Windows.

I will think about it. Let's also see if more people show interest in this
Nomad

[ New ]
I wrote a Quick Start guide for those who wanted more info about the software. It also contains some pretty clear clues of what's coming next :)

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/quickguide.pdf
Explorer

[ New ]
This is awesome! I don't think I'll need the premium version but I'd love to throw a little support your way. Maybe set up a donation page for the free version in $5 increment denominations ($5, $10, $15, $20). I can't really afford to give out $100-$199, but I wouldn't mind giving a little just to show appreciation (BTW, I also reached out to GoPro for you. I hope they get in contact with you).
Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks @danielr15 ! What you do in this forum deserves donations too :).

Hiker

[ New ]

Até hoje não consegui colocar medidores com a GoPro Hero 7 Black, tanto o Quik quanto o Dashware não funcionam,

o Quik é ainda pior porque sequer reconhece que os vídeos foram gravados com GPS ligado, já o Dashware

não mostra as informações, todos os medidores ficam parados, estou quase desistindo da GoPro e migrando

pra outra marca de câmera.

Hiker

[ New ]

Sure your gps was on? (sorry for stating the obvious) or that you actually had a signal? Long way from last use? 

Also check that the files have been transfert to you pc ok? I had a bunch of files that were semi ok, but gliches when editing and no gps data. 

Brough them in again and all good. The first transfer must have got corrupted. NOTE, a good idea to check the transferred files are ok before deleting/formating the gopro every time. 

Have you tried running the files on the online prog on this thread? 

Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

@cesarblu  escreveu:

you need to do this

http://www.dashware.net/videos/synchronization-tutorial-sample-file-download/?portfolioID=16343

Já fiz de tudo, não tem o que sincronizar, o Dashware simplesmente não acha nada nos arquivos da câmera.

Hiker

[ New ]

@no66  escreveu:

Sure your gps was on? (sorry for stating the obvious) or that you actually had a signal? Long way from last use? 

Also check that the files have been transfert to you pc ok? I had a bunch of files that were semi ok, but gliches when editing and no gps data. 

Brough them in again and all good. The first transfer must have got corrupted. NOTE, a good idea to check the transferred files are ok before deleting/formating the gopro every time. 

Have you tried running the files on the online prog on this thread? 

O GPS com certeza está ativo, aparece o ícone de ativação da tela da câmera, embora não tenha achado onde fica a

ativação e a desativação do GPS na Hero 7, o link desse tópico retorna um erro quando tento extrair os dados em GPX

pra tentar usar no Dashware.....

Erro GPS.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

E no Quik só aparece o aviso pedindo pra ativar o GPS, porém nada de mostradores.

Erro GPS Quik.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Achei a maldita configuração do GPS, e está ligado, mas não sei porque não consigo usar a telemetria de jeito nenhum.

GPS.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

rapidstar0145 alguns videos que eu faço também não aparecem os dados, eles só irão funcionar em lugares abertos, mas se suas filmagens foram feitas nestes lugares e mesmo assim não aparecem os dados, é possível que ela esteja com defeito.
Ela está livre sem estar dentro de alguma caixa estanque? 

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't have a 7, but have helped others with the gps in Dashware. 
Maybe post a file to look at? I'm really busy but maybe someone can take a look? 

Remember Dashware is finikity with GP7 gps files. However it seems like nothing is there. 

I would do the following:
-Re importt the files (just to have and eleminate and problems with the first import, I bet you have corrupet files) 
-Format the card in the gopro.
-Make sure the location is on, and leave the gopro on in an open space for 20 miniutes. 
-makes some test files while walking around the neighborhood.
-import and check to see if you are getting data.  

If still nothing, then contact gopro 

Nomad

[ New ]
Hey @rapidstar0145 ,

I can analyse your file to see what happens with the data, if you want. You can send it to app@prototyping.barcelona

It the file is too big, you can send the .LRV file that the camera records next to the .MP4. It contains the metadata too.
Hiker

[ New ]

@cesarblu  escreveu:

rapidstar0145 alguns videos que eu faço também não aparecem os dados, eles só irão funcionar em lugares abertos, mas se suas filmagens foram feitas nestes lugares e mesmo assim não aparecem os dados, é possível que ela esteja com defeito.
Ela está livre sem estar dentro de alguma caixa estanque? 

Só filmo em locais abertos e com o suporte original da câmera, não acredito que a camera esteja com defeito, o ícone do

GPS aparece bem forte na tela, talvez seja algum problema com as atualizações, resolvi restaurar as configurações de

fábrica pra ver se pode ser algum erro trazido ao longo das atualizações, porém ainda não filmei com a câmera depois

desse reset pra confirmar.

Hiker

[ New ]

@no66  escreveu:

I don't have a 7, but have helped others with the gps in Dashware. 
Maybe post a file to look at? I'm really busy but maybe someone can take a look? 

Remember Dashware is finikity with GP7 gps files. However it seems like nothing is there. 

I would do the following:
-Re importt the files (just to have and eleminate and problems with the first import, I bet you have corrupet files) 
-Format the card in the gopro.
-Make sure the location is on, and leave the gopro on in an open space for 20 miniutes. 
-makes some test files while walking around the neighborhood.
-import and check to see if you are getting data.  

If still nothing, then contact gopro 

Sim, já tudo isso várias vezes, porém ainda sem telemetria.

Hiker

[ New ]

Boa sorte amigo, nos conte qual foi a solução quando conseguir resolver.

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  escreveu:
Hey @rapidstar0145 ,

I can analyse your file to see what happens with the data, if you want. You can send it to app@prototyping.barcelona

It the file is too big, you can send the .LRV file that the camera records next to the .MP4. It contains the metadata too.

Thank you for the help, all files are too big to send by e-mail, but I post them on GoogleDrive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vn_5fs5Sqiu82UvbQrTNhe8Yg_PGyKLs?usp=sharing

Nomad

[ New ]

@rapidstar0145 The GPS data is there, but the quality is really really bad. If this happens with all your videos outdoors, and you waited for a GPS fix before recording, I would say your camera is defective.

GL013090.gpx-166.png

You can check yourself here, but set the "GPS Fix" to "Any" and "GPS Precision" to 10000 https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

Hiker

[ New ]

Acho que descobri o problema, gravei alguns vídeos hoje depois de efetuar a restauração das configurações de

fábrica e só o primeiro vídeo, depois da restauração, ficou sem telemetria, todos os outros tem telemetria aparecendo

no Quik e já consegui usar o site pra extrair os aquivos GPX para o DashWare!

Agradeço pela ajuda!

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  escreveu:

@rapidstar0145 The GPS data is there, but the quality is really really bad. If this happens with all your videos outdoors, and you waited for a GPS fix before recording, I would say your camera is defective.

GL013090.gpx-166.png

You can check yourself here, but set the "GPS Fix" to "Any" and "GPS Precision" to 10000 https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

E esse que gravei depois? GH010002.MP4

Também ficou ruim?

Postei na pasta do GoogleDrive.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ah sim! Sempre filmo com a câmera de cabeça pra baixo. Tem interferência do sinal do GPS filmar assim?

Hiker

[ New ]

Don't think shooting upside down should be a problem, done it several times while downhill skateboarding. (80 -90 km/h)

GPS's sometimes do strange things, especially around mountians, high building and trees. Have had the occational probelm with both a Garmin and a Mio cylce gps. Suddenly the data says I'm 100's og km's away before going back to normal. 

Put is down to a glitch and be really happpy we are living in a time of 4K and 18htz gps in a tiny unit! 

Hiker

[ New ]

@no66  escreveu:

Don't think shooting upside down should be a problem, done it several times while downhill skateboarding. (80 -90 km/h)

GPS's sometimes do strange things, especially around mountians, high building and trees. Have had the occational probelm with both a Garmin and a Mio cylce gps. Suddenly the data says I'm 100's og km's away before going back to normal. 

Put is down to a glitch and be really happpy we are living in a time of 4K and 18htz gps in a tiny unit! 

Vou experimentar com a câmera na posição normal e também vou gravar os dados de GPS no telefone celular para comparar

depois, mas acho um absurdo uma das câmera de ação mais cara do mercado vir com defeito no GPS ou com um GPS pior

do que o de versões anteriores.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

rapidstar0145 aproveite e depois faz um teste? Você está no Brasil correto? 
Veja se o horário que vai sair na telemetria tem diferença do horário que está registrado em sua câmera? Para mim existe uma diferença de 3 horas a mais no GPS, isto deve ocorrer pois não existe ajuste de fuso horário na Gopro, para mim poderiam corrigir.
Obrigado

Nomad

[ New ]

Gopro lens vertical...top facing upwards...several minutes stationary in an open setting for the very best locks if that is critical to your application.

So far I find that the 6 is solidly better than the 7 as far as data goes.   6 does 0.9-1 meter stationary accuracy, the 7 about 2x that.GPS.png   

6 has faster locks, more accurate positioning, less reaction to interference.

Hiker

[ New ]

@cesarblu  escreveu:

Veja se o horário que vai sair na telemetria tem diferença do horário que está registrado em sua câmera? Para mim existe uma diferença de 3 horas a mais no GPS, isto deve ocorrer pois não existe ajuste de fuso horário na Gopro, para mim poderiam corrigir.
Obrigado

Sim, o horário nunca bateu com o meu horário local nem na Hero 5.

Hiker

[ New ]

@rapidstar0145  escreveu:

@cesarblu  escreveu:

Obrigado

Sim, o horário nunca bateu com o meu horário local nem na Hero 5.

Obrigado por tirar esta dúvida, nem o suporte Gopro Brasil sabia responder isso, abraços.

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  escreveu:

Hi!

I just published a vbeta version of my new tool to easily view and convert sensor data from our GoPros.

To make the most out of it, record your videos with the GPS option enabled.

Let me know if you encounter errors and if you'd like to stay tuned with gopro telemetry/sensors stuff, join us in the metadata group :)

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

Muito obrigado, ferramenta bastante útil.

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  Do you know how to put google image?Google image

Nomad

[ New ]
@cesarblu I'm not sure what you mean
Nomad

[ New ]

@cesarblu Sorry. I hadn't seen the screenshot. You will have to use some combinaion of softwares. This post gives some interesing clues on how to achieve that sort of thing: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/Post-your-metadata-videos-here/gpm-p/224...

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  escreveu:

@cesarblu Sorry. I hadn't seen the screenshot. You will have to use some combinaion of softwares. This post gives some interesing clues on how to achieve that sort of thing: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/Post-your-metadata-videos-here/gpm-p/224...

Thank you @kajuna, hugs

Nomad

[ New ]

You can link Google Earth and track maps with various apps.   I use a couple of racecar oriented ones as I do motorsports.

Here is one in beta that accepts GoPro...it can do data overlays on the video, but is great for analysis.  Fast renders.   It's how I compared the 6/7's GPS functionality and gave use advice earlier :  

https://vimeo.com/354499077

Another is racerender3 which also easily handles Gopro files...this one is more data onto the video.   Which is all many need, like a better version of what GoPro does.  Slow renders. 

This is "GoPro test - Analysis" by Sjmarcy on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
Hiker

[ New ]

@stanleym7236  escreveu:

You can link Google Earth and track maps with various apps.   I use a couple of racecar oriented ones as I do motorsports.

Here is one in beta that accepts GoPro...it can do data overlays on the video, but is great for analysis.  Fast renders.   It's how I compared the 6/7's GPS functionality and gave use advice earlier :  

https://vimeo.com/354499077

Another is racerender3 which also easily handles Gopro files...this one is more data onto the video.   Which is all many need, like a better version of what GoPro does.  Slow renders. 

Thank you @stanleym7236, hugs

Nomad

[ New ]

You can also have video editor software do an overlay to google earth via overlays and alpha etc.   For instance if you capture a suitable Google Earth or other image, save that as png with the rest of the frame not present then this can be layered under your GoPro app's track map.  

So, a few ways depending on your needs and interests. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Is there any way to access the cameras temperature sensor data?

Nomad

[ New ]

@mastershake Yes. The temperature data is not included as a standalone sensor, but it is integrated in some other sensors data. For example, if you export the accelerometer or the gyroscope to CSV, you will get a Temperature column. If you export to json, the temperature will only be visible in the samples where it changes, inside a "stycky" object. Hope that helps

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm exporting both the accelleramoter and the gyroscope data to CVS, there are no temperature columns. What am I doing wrong?

Hero 7 black

Nomad

[ New ]
@mastershake it might only be there in some cameras or modes. If you want to send me a sample I'll have a look (app@prototyping.barcelona). You can send the LRV file instead of the MP4.
Tourist

[ New ]

I emailed you a short lrv from my hero 7 black. 

For reference, when I uploaded a video from my hero 5 session, the temperature field is there. This would be very helpful in diagnosing the problem with the hero 7 black.

Nomad

[ New ]

@mastershake I just checked your file and none of the data streams include temperature data. Double checked with my Hero7 footage, and same results. It appears this was removed for Hero7 cameras, the rest of models have it (5 black ,5 session, 6 and Fusion).