Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

New MAX Exporter stopped everything. URGENTLY need some answers from GoPro

[ New ]

I really do hate leaving numerous complaints here, but I'm having too much trouble with MAX yet GoPro's lack of proper response is staying beyond the line.

Alright, so GoPro has released a new version of MAX Exporter that enabled the checkbox to choose to have 360 audio in the final result.

This was a month after MAX's launch that introduced a seemingly fantastic ambisonic audio system.

Just a day ago, GoPro released an update that "seemingly" resolved those issues. Well, what I found instead is this new version was a trap.

I'm going to raise two issues that were added with the new update. If GoPro responds like they are doing now, I'm done using any of GoPro products, I'll be using my YouTube Channel to prevent having more people misdirected by GoPro's false advertisements.

First, resulting videos came out of new MAX Exporter are not being recognized as videos in the latest Premiere Pro. (upper part of the picture I'm attaching)

In the list, I have 5 different video files.

• - First one is a Fusion footage with 360 audio
  • - Second one is MAX footage exported through the previous version of MAX Exporter
  • - Third and Fourth are files exported through the new version of MAX Exporter with 360 audio enabled
  • - Last is a file exported through the new version of MAX Exporter without 360 audio enabled.

The Fusion footage and MAX footage came out of old MAX Exporter are just fine. All those files that came out of the new MAX Exporter are turning to audio files, thus I can't edit them. What differences did GoPro made, and how can this be solved?

Yes, I am aware that GoPro VR Player can read it right, but the videos need to be edited somewhere else.

Second, I am actually very skeptical that GoPro really is providing 360 audio with the new MAX Exporter.

I exported the same .360 file twice using the new version, once with 360 audio checkbox checked, and once more without it checked.

If you see the resulting files (lower part of the picture I'm attaching), the sizes are identical. How can a video with a 360 ambisonic audio be as small as the same video with just stereo audio? Shouldn't there be at least a two-channel difference?

Also, I played it on GoPro VR Player, rotated the view to see if this can prove the existence of 360 audio. No, the sound did not change by the view. It still works with fusion footages with 360 audio by the way.

Having those issues raised, by inquires are as follows:

1. Is GoPro being honest with the users? If yes, how are these still happening after a month of waiting since its shipment?
  2. When will MAX have all those features ready to be used? I believe it is better to tell us how long than saying nothing.
  3. Please correct me if I'm testing it in the wrong way. (though I've just done as I did before, which obviously worked with no such problems)
g12.jpg
Hiker

Betreff: New MAX Exporter stopped everything. URGENTLY need some answers from GoPro

[ New ]

YES , I nearly can confirm 100% of every word.... exactly the same result here !!!!

One exeption.

I can see and hear a proper 360 4ch-audio sound : IF I EXPORT IT SEPERATELY BY FFMPEG !!.

So, there is a really working sound , if exported by a NON-GOPRO-WAY. that can be edited professionally and can be played by a ambisonics-capable-player like skyboxVR which calculates the xyz-positions in realtime.

Anything else from gopro is now is a cheek ... the actual exporter is a total disaster ......

GOPRO-give us a proper downloadlink for every verision so we can at least decide by ourself which version is the least worse for us !!!

Tourist

Betreff: New MAX Exporter stopped everything. URGENTLY need some answers from GoPro

[ New ]

Same Here . Tending to sending it Back . The annoyance is too much.

Tourist

[ New ]

When we are at it , could you Please adress the Exporter on Windows. Its not possible to Decode 5.6k Cineform correctly , wich worked prior to that "greatly fullfilling and improved" downgrade to the Exporter ? The Support BOT is not working , i have no Possibility to Contact anyone. I cannot download the old version , cause we are forced to use the Auto-Updating Microsoft store. Iam absolutely dissapointed over the Lack of communication and options regarding early adopters. Maybe market next time " Mac not includet" . 

Hiker

[ New ]
Aaannnddd, same problem here. Cineform 5.6k import into Premiere as audio only. Previous version was working just fine (though without 360 audio - disappointing). I've reached out to CS for access to the previous version but they said they can't provide it.

Even the the GoPro Player for MacOS has it's issues - it's exporting at a different fps than what I recorded in.

I'm sitting on hours of footage I need to edit for client by the end of the week, and GoPro's sitting silent. In the meantime, I ordered the Insta OneX last night. If it works better than this, the Max is going back.
Tourist

[ New ]

Confirming here: the GoPro Max Exporter breaks video files longer than about a minute, and completely, silently crashes on files longer than 8 minutes (ie those split into multiple files by the Max). This completely breaks the workflow for all Windows users, which is enough for me to return the Max I've bought.

This is not a solution, but I was able to talk to a developer who works on video transcode tool ffmpeg, Derek Buitenhuis, who analysed the output and said this, which hopefully will get to the GoPro engineers and help them fix this ASAP:

It turns out to be an mp4 file, and not a mov. It looks like after frame 1825, the file offsets in the co64 box are wrong - that is, after that, the mp4's index for that track is pointing to the wrong parts of the file for each frame.

chunk_offset[1823] = 4292486829

chunk_offset[1824] = 4294758533 <-- first over 2^32

chunk_offset[1825] = 4297269765

chunk_offset[1826] = 4299639681 <-- first bad frame offset (should likely be 4300105901)

chunk_offset[1827] = 4302158565 <-- should probably be 4302551197

My bet is either the gopro software wrote the wrong offsets into the index, or possibly seeked to the wrong place before writing the bytes out (making the index wrong). Happening so close to 2^32 is real suspicious. The file is 100% valid, just wrong.

There's no easy route to fixing that output, unfortunately, short of GoPro actually getting their act together.

Hiker

[ New ]

Has anyone heard back from GoPro on this issue? Wondering if I should just give up and return it. Insta oneX is due to arrive tomorrow so will see how it compares. Hard to see how it could possibly be worse...

Nomad

[ New ]

There's been radio silence from most of the GoPro "representatives" on here about all serious issues with the Max......the usual replies of "update your software", "check your SD Card", what are your computer specifications", "Post a sample", "keep checking the website for updates", "the team is working on it", "we are aware of the problem" blah, blah, blah, nothing really constructive and lotsa ducking an diving.

It sucks and is frustrating......everyday, I check for firmware/software updates in the hope that they will improve the Max performance and workflow but nothing yet. I understand that this forum probably represents a very small percentage of GoPro customers, but it was set up by them, is monitored by them and is the only official feedback channel for their products so you would imagine that they would at least react by improving their products....that's how feedback and customer spport is supposed to work, no?

GoPro...we're waiting......