Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: New Hero5 black can't connect over USB anymore after firmware update

I've been having this USB problem for like 6 months with my Hero 4 Black. It used to work fine before that. Now I get the Hero 5 Black and have the same problem.

If I insert the micro SD when Quik is open with a card reader, it is detected as the camera's card and starts transfering to my computer. I've tried deleting the drivers with no luck. It is always detected as a MTP media device and named stillimage in device manager on windows 10.

Having to remove the SD Card every time I want to transfer to my computer is starting to get annoying.

I also have the older Hero Session and do not have this problem.

Highlighted
Explorer

@natasatan

I'll have to play around with this when I get home.  I know GoPro changed the way the Hero4 and Hero5 cameras are recognized so they are no longer seen as a drive but unlike you, I find having my camera tethered to my computer annoying so I always use the USB card reader.  I know I've connected my Hero4 Silver without issues but haven't tried my Hero5. The issue seems to be with Windows 10 and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).  I've seen lots of post elsewhere regarding this but it is usually in regards to a mobile device or phone.  It might, and this is a big MIGHT, help if you disable wi-fi before connecting your camera.  Also, make sure you have the latest updates and device drivers on your computer.

Highlighted
Tourist

All firmwares are up to date and I always turn off wifi before. I have tried every combinations possible to get it to be recognised with the right drivers. I do believe that it might be a windows 10 problem. I can't say 100% but I think it was after a windows 10 insider update about 6 months ago, but don't take my word on that.

I have not tested them on another computer, but the fact that both my Hero 4 and 5 have the exact same issue with USB sure seem to point towards a operating system/drivers error.

Also, in device manager when checking the propertied of the "still image" portable device (with a exclamation point), I get this error:

"This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

Highlighted
Explorer

I typed MTP inf in my google search bar and a page of Windows trouble shooting came up. I don't have time to research it right now, but if you can find the associated inf file, rename or delete it. Windows should automatically reinstall a new version.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Bump for response from GoPro

Highlighted
Hiker

Solved my problem. GoPro could make this answer more available to help folks in the same situation. You need to manually update the firmware before connecting to Windows 10.

Highlighted
Anonymous

G'day all,

Have the same problem with my new Session 5, and have done all the suggested fault finding with no luck.

What is interesting is that I have a laptop running the latest version of Windows Insider and it recognises the camera straight away.

Jase

Highlighted
Hiker

Same for my Surface Pro 4. Too bad there isn't a Windows App for this camera.