Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: New Hero5 black can't connect over USB anymore after firmware update

Hey @Anonymous. I see that you got this USB thing fixed by reseting your connections. Did you have to do it a bunch of times, or anything? It looked like it didn't work for you at first but now it's fixed. I'm having WiFi connection trouble, and any insight could help. Thanks!

Highlighted
Anonymous

I snapped up the GoPro Hero5 at Singapore airport yesterday and was extremely pleased I waited this long to get a GoPro.  Today I captured 4 videos.

But when I tried to connect via USB to my Mac, the GoPro app said reported no media to import even though it indicated that my media was not zero.

After googling for a solution, I found there was an update to the firmware.  I tried updating the SD card physically on the Mac - failed a few times.  Then I tried connecting using my iPhone to the Hero5 - it worked and I did the firmware update successsfully (v 01.20).

1. I tried connecting via USB to my Mac - same problem - does NOT work.

2. So I reformatted the SD card (using GoPro > Preferences > Format SD card option).

3. Still, the connection via USB to Mac remain NOT working.

4. On my iPhone and iPad, the Capture app had no problems connecting to the Hero5 and could do preview.  But now I cannot load to view any videos (which I took after formatting) on the Hero5 when I previously could.  Something's wrong again.

I have wasted 3 hours doing this.  Is the GoPro really as easy to use as stated?  What are my options to return this for a full refund if it is so problematic?

Highlighted
Anonymous

@Anonymous I tried a few times, but in the end it worked only after I updated the firmware "manually" (via the SD card).
And it worked on the 1st try, then.
Highlighted
Anonymous

@Anonymous did you try the "Reset connections" menu option ?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Test 1:

I finally took out the SD card and with the SD card adaptor plugged into the Mac.  The GoPro app still would NOT show any files to import.  I tried GoPro Studio app and I can SUCCESSFULLY see the files and import the files.

Test 2:

I put the SD card back into the camera, reset the connections and tried using the USB cable to the Mac.  The GoPro app still indicating NO files to import.  I jiggles the USB cable a bit and viola! there were files to import.  I clicked import.  The app hung - it stayed trying to import file 138/5000+ for a long time unmoving.  (I had 5000+ files .jpg files because I experimented with Timelapse).

Test 3:

I took a few videos - 1080p, 2.7k, 1440, 4k.  Despite jiggling the USB cable to death, the GoPro app would NOT show any files to import.  I took out the SD card and with the SD card adaptor into the Mac, using the GoPro Studio app, I could import ALL videos - 1080p, 2.7k, 1440, 4k (as shown in the attached).

Conclusion:

1. The GoPro app is buggy with the import.

2. The USB cable or the USB port on the camera is problematic.

3. My Mac can handle 4k videos.

I guess my workaround is to take out the SD card and use the GoPro Studio app.  But I don't like this approach as I fear frequent removal of the SD card may damage it.  (It happened to the SD card in my BlackVue in-car camera - one day it just jammed on removal).

Based on the above, should I replace my Hero5 camera as the USB port may be problematic?

GoPro5.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

Just exchange it. Your going to be questioning this particular camera for the life of your ownership.
I assume you are using a recommended card.
When you get the new exchange, don't turn it on just plug it in to charge. While you're waiting for it to get a full charge download the firmware via the manual update.
When your camera is charged pop in the SD card and let it update. Once done you can set up your pairing.
Highlighted
Anonymous

If I was you I'd try it on another computer before.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I found this solution on similar topic, and this fixed my problem. Make sure you are using the Quick for Desktop App, NOT the old GoPro for Desktop App.