Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: New Hero5 black can't connect over USB anymore after firmware update

If it worked as designed that is exactly what it should do.  I think the point of this post it that this is not happening for the community involved in this thread.  I installed "quick" both at my work computer and on my home computer and I have yet to see my computer or quick app detect my hero 5.

Highlighted
Explorer

When you plug your camera into your computer and view it with Windows Explorer, are you seeing it listed as MTP Client Disk?  If not, the problem may be with the way your USB ports are set up.  You will need to go to the Device manager and change the way the computer handles this type of USB device.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Also, the best way to connect the camera to Windows 10 is to have it ON and then connect it to the USB port.

Always works without need to troubleshoot!

Hope it helps.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

It took forever for Gopro to respond to my help request re this issue. This is my reply to them:

Ok, let's get started on this nightmare.

The Amazon order is as follows. I am retired in SE Asia so I had the camera shipped to my son as follows, and he shipped it to me. That incurred a cost of $57 to ship it, and another $62 to pay duty tax on it when it arrived here. That is the ONLY reason I haven't sent this steaming junk back to you. Here is the original Amazon order data:

Order Details
Ordered on January 24, 2017  Order# 104-0015046-6xxxxxx View or Print invoice Shipping Address United States     My personal address in Thailand is as follows:

Thailand phone (don't even bother trying it -- it never works): +66 (0?) 94984xxxx

Serial number for the piece of garbage -- er, I mean CAMERA, is: c316132623xxxx

I am attaching three pics of the garbage side door. I never found the tiny broken piece. I had read before I bought the camera that the side door was absurdly weak in design and that many, many people had inadvertently broken theirs. For that reason I treated the door as though it was a golden feather. I exerted so little force on it that it took me 12-15 tries to remove it. I was so scared and gentle with it that I couldn't bring myself to exert enough force to get it to pop off. I was that scared of breaking it. But of course it broke. Honestly, gopro has always been suspect in the quality department. Now gopro is the laughing stock of the world for poor quality. You are losing loyal customers by the tens of thousands for no other reason than that you design things stupidly. THAT will be your undoing, and unless you get a tight grip on the utter and profound stupidity of your design and software engineers, I predict Gopro won't last another two years. Stupidity is the ONLY reason you're going down. Even when tens of thousands of customers tell you and tell you and tell you until they are hoarse that your products are badly designed and are not working, you not only don't listen, you double down and make them worse. I suspect gopro has hired a gaggle of silly frat boys and girls who have zero life experiences under their belts, and they are costing you your company. End rant. For now. Now on to the ludicrous software issue:

When I got the camera, straight out of the box, I installed Quik and Studio, the latest versions, straight from your website, onto my windows 10 machine. Without updating the camera I plugged it in using the cable that came with it. It was not recognized by Quik, nor could it be found in device manager, nor in Hardware devices, nor could the camera be seen as a drive or any kind of presence in file manager. I knew then, what I was in for -- yet another Gopro nightmare. 

I first swapped the cable and tried again. No luck.

I swapped the SD card, no luck.

I formatted the sd cards again and again on the camera. No luck.

I formatted the SD cards again and again on various machines, using various formats, and tried them again and again on various machines. The camera could still not be recognized by anything.

I tried to connect on my windows xp machine, no luck.

I tried my windows 7 machine, no luck.

I tried my windows 8 machine, no luck.

I tried my mac mini, no luck.

I then updated the firmware on the camera -- no luck on windows 10 and I repeatedly tried all other machines with all of the above variations. No luck.

I then verified that i had properly installed the firm ware update, and that appeared to have been successful (I did get the check mark at the end of the manual install)..

I reset the camera to factory specs and tried again to connect to all machines. no luck.

I then reinstalled the firmware update, manually, and got the check mark as always. I tried to connect again. No luck.

I then uninstalled quik from all machine except xp (it would never install on xp). I then tried to connect to all machines again using all the variations above. no luck.

I then reinstalled quik on all machines and tried to connect to all machines again. no luck.

I tried all of these things using both cables and both sd cards. No luck.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the usb drivers on all machines countless times in countless ways, and tried to reconnect to all machines. no luck.

By now I was into this 24 hours. 

I had read every single scrap that gopro put out regarding this issue. I tried all of it countless times in every possible variation. No luck.

I then began researching on the internet and found that this problem has spanned ALL gopro cameras in ALL operating systems for many years, but it seems to be the worst with windows 10 with the Hero5.

I tried perhaps forty different remedies that were detailed on the internet, all without success. 

After about 3 days of this I tried the camera on the mac mini -- and while no icon is displayed on the desktop, it is now recognized in the Quik app that is installed on the mac. Unfortunately the mac doesn't have enough drive space to even copy off the sd card contents of the camera one time, so it is useless in that regard. But it proves that the camera is capable of connecting to SOMETHING, if only the software is designed correctly. I have no idea why it wouldn't connect to the mac mini in dozens of attempts before.

I began appealing to gopro for help. Gopro refused to respond in any way whatsover for many, many days until, finally, now, and I hold virtually no hope whatever that you will provide a solution for this. I could find almost no instances across the net where you were able to make the Hero-5 connect to anything when it was acting up. You just provide boilerplate nonsense that doesn't even begin to fix the problem, and your tech people are about as smart as mushrooms (Snowflakes, perhaps?).

I have rolled back six months worth of updates on the windows 10 machine and tried again to connect. no luck.

I have rolled back to numerous previous restore points, from times before quik was ever introduced to the windows 10 machine. No luck.

I have applied all manner of "special" packs and upgrades available from microsoft for windows 10. No luck.

All of these things represent the tip of the iceberg with regard to what I have tried. Absolutely nothing has worked.

In the windows 10 device manager it shows either nothing at all, or sometimes it shows a "stillimage" driver that is not working. Of course, OF COURSE I have uninstalled that a hundred times, tried updating it, you name it. Or sometimes it shows a faulty MTP DEVICE driver. Windows 10 includes three different MTP device drivers, all of which I have forced to install again and again and again, none of which work.

If I were only one of a few people having this problem I'd maybe rack it up to a rare faulty camera. But I'm one of tens of thousands.

People across the net are saying that their cameras stopped connecting to quik or in any other way to windows 10 either after a windows 10 update, or after a gopro firmware update. But rolling back either device doesn't solve the problem. 

Gopro must find and provide a solution, or begin facing sanctions from the consumer affairs division of your attorney general. The product doesn't work. You know it doesn't work. You are steadfastly refusing to provide any useful fix. That's the point your profoundly enraged customers are at now.It's an expensive and time-consuming process, but you're leaving us no choice.

I don't believe my particular camera is faulty. It doesn't display any of the many, many other problems that tens of thousands of angry customers are reporting, like spontaneous shutdowns, sd card errors (so many enraged customers over that one), or corrupted back-screens, corrupted front screens, batteries that are dead in four minutes, touch-screen menus that jerk or don't respond at all -- the list goes on and on and on and on -- but my particular camera doesn't YET display any of those malfunctions. But how would I really know? I haven't actually gotten to USE it!

Like so many others I mount my camera in a protective case. -Not YOUR case, a GOOD QUALITY case, and it's difficult to get the camera in and out of it. That means that it's a real pain in the arse to copy off images and footage, especially out in the field, where your camera was designed to work, by removing the camera, then removing the SD card, then inserting it into a card reader, then hoping (hoping) a laptop will recognize the reader, then manually copying the files off, then putting it all back together again. It's easy to do what your camera is ADVERTISED to do -- namely to plug in a wire and take a few sips of coffee and then unplug the wire. What your camera is ADVERTISED to do is all we WANT it to do. Can you try to grasp that concept? Is it beyond the horsepower of your little Briggs and Stratton lawnmower brains? I don't want to be fiddling with a bunch of tiny parts and a finicky card reader out in the wind on the Gulf of Thailand just to get my files off the camera. I want it to do what it is ADVERTISED to do -- to plug into a laptop and quickly and painlessly offload my work. That's what I paid you to provide. That's what we ALL paid you to provide. But you resolutely refuse to provide it and we're now an army of supremely pissed off peasants with torches and pitchforks and we're coming for your hides. 

You must make your product work as advertised. Or you must stop advertising it to work as such. Or you must shut down your business. Those are your only three choices. It seems to me the first one is the best solution, but what do I know? Maybe you're all a bunch of Satanic Worshippers and it is your intended design plan to make a product that is SUPPOSED to annoy and frustrate and enrage, and in your board meetings you laugh and howl at how successful you've been. Some of us, given the astounding failure of so many of your products, are actually beginning to wonder if that's the kind of company we're up against, because we can't believe that even mentally retarded five year olds could accidentally make any product so stunningly and profoundly non-functional and flawed. You folks take the cake. 

And yes, this is posted publicly and I hope it costs you sales, and I hope that loss in sales translates into Gopro firing the imbeciles that you have designing this crap, and hiring on a team of crazy lings (monkeys), because, with God as my witness, I swear they'd make better stuff. Of course that's just my opinion.

NOW GIVE ME A FIX FOR MY CAMERA.

But I know....I KNOW you won't.
Highlighted
Nomad

@scottn3308: We know how you feel ...

Nevertheless, I wont expect so much GoPro guys showing up here to

a) either read your pos

or

b) even provide feedback

Most of the folks here (if not any at all) are users as you.

Highlighted
Explorer

I think he just wanted to share his vented frustration. While I disagree with many of the assertions and know that many are wrong, I still hope he gets the help he needs.
Highlighted
Hiker

I guess gopro doesnt deserve the clients they have.

I changed from a SJCAM, 100% china, and i didnt remeber of having any problem...

Highlighted
Anonymous

Still doesn't work for me.  Any suggestions?