07-30-2017 01:29 PM
1. In the very beginning, the camera wouldn't turn on. After searching for answers, I charged the battery and it eventually switched on. Not a big deal but not a great start either.
2. Today was the first time that I used the camera. I took a couple of 8sec videos and two 15 sec time lapses.
The battery started to die really quickly and I cannot imagine taking it travelling with me if I can't even take a 10min video!!!
3. The camera is overheating really quickly to the point where it can switch off on its own. Overheating happened not only when I was taking pictures but when I was connecting it with the app on the iPhone.
I am using SanDisc Ultra 128GB SD card.
4. Last but not least, I was trying to share a 5 sec video on social media through the app.
The first message was "We recommend powering your camera off and on, then trying again". Did as instructed a few times, no luck.
It also comes up with a message 'Fail We were unable to share your clip'.
I really wanted to love this camera and I am sure I will once it works properly, but it has been a true nightmare from the beginning!
I am more than disappointed!
I have already bought all the gear to go with the camera and am now left with a decent gear and a poor camera.
Can anyone from the GoPro team advise on the above issues please?
I need a perfectly working camera by the end of the week.
07-30-2017 02:22 PM
SanDisk Ultra is a terrible card and does not play well with high end cameras, especially GoPro. Get a 32GB card off of this list. https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations
08-06-2017 04:56 AM
My GoPro didn't last even 20min and the battery died during the flight leaving me with no footage to remember this special experience.
It is safe to say that GoPro Black 5 is the worst camera I've ever owned.
So so disappointed!!
01-06-2018 04:22 PM
Get ready for more trouble...
1. I've had my camera for about 6 months, and previously managed to video and pictures of the camera to externa storage.
2. Now after a vacation with my wife and small children and a full SD card, nothing will recognize the SD card has content, except the camera itself.
3. I cannot update the camera without reformatting the card, but if I reformat the card, I lose everything on it.
4. I cannot update the camera through the app on my phone or the desktop version on my computer,
5. I signed up for GoPro Plus in hopes of uploading to the could, and that won't work either.
6. The manual update refuses to work too.
7. I've spent 5+ hours with GoPro support to no avail.
8. I too have all the gear to go with it, and it's now useless.
9. I bought an extended warranty through Best Buy, so hopefully Geek Squad can get me going.
10. Never have I had to deal with so much BS for a camera.
11. Fotunately some of the GoPro gear is compatible with my Cannon video camera, which is amazing, just not weatherproof.
12. Good camera in theory, terribe in execution. I deeply regret my purchase, Hopefully I can find a way to have Best Buy take it back so I can get something that updates by itself when you plug it to your computer...like my ten year old TomTom GPS or 10 year old Olympus waterproof camera.
01-07-2018 02:33 PM
You can update the camera without reformatting the SD card. Doing a manual update puts the Update files directly on the SD card, and leaves the rest of the card as it is. Instructions are at https://gopro.com/update/hero5. You wrote that you had problems doing the manual update. What was the error you're seeing?
Also, it's possible the issue could be with the SD card itself. What maker and model card are you using?