Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

New HERO2018 not consistently recording audio

I just finished capturing video for about two hours from a wakeboat.  My GoPro HERO 2018 was mounted to a Lanparte LA3D-2 gimbal - i.e. no housing, no frame, all microphones clear to record.  The gimbal was fitted with a bracket specifically made for the GoPros in the new form factor (HERO 5, HERO 6, HERO 2018).  It is equipped with a SanDisk ExtremePro microSDXC memory card (up to 100 MB/s transfer, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 64 GB formatted in the camera and tested prior.

Most of the video shot with this camera is completely missing the audio track, or sometimes it cuts in and out for no apparent reason.  There are no settings to mute audio and I have checked all the settings to see if there might have been something related.  Video was shot for the entire session at 1080p/60/WIDE format.

I have played the raw footage on a Macbook Pro 2015 through Apple's Quick time player, as well as importing the video into iMovie, and confirmed that there is no audio recorded, or pops in and out on its own during recording for 2/3 of the 21 video files recorded.  Remember this is mounted on a gimbal and no microphones were blocked.  

In fact the camera setup with the gimbal was the same for the entire shoot.  Gimbal head was mounted to a "U-grip" with a second GoPro HERO 4 Session capturing 10/1 bursts on demand, looking at the same subject as the gimbal cam.  

A third camera HERO HD (2009 with latest firmware), was mounted to a Chesty mount for the wakeboarder/skier, and set to capture POV at 960p/30 4:3 (also known as r4).

The HERO 2018  was purchased on 8/26 so this is a NEW camera purchased directly from GoPro.  

I believe the camera is defective.  What is the course of action at this point?  I have given as much info as possible with all the tech details. Camera is running the latest firmware from the factory 1.00 as there are no updates beyond this available.  Directly from the web site support page: "HERO (2018) v01.00 | HERO comes with v01.00 already loaded."

Please provide instructions for a warranty replacement - I would not have expected this to fail in this manner with less than a month of usage.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: New HERO2018 not consistently recording audio

Hi @swiftoasis03323

Thanks for posting back.

Glad to hear that the manual update corrected the issues.

To consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with your camera. See list of recommended SD cards.

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @swiftoasis03323

I am sorry for any troubles caused.

Have you tried using the camera on its own? Did you get any audio issues as well?

You may reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

They should be able to provide you with the best recommendations.

They are available via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

The recommendation was to re-flash the firmware (with the one and only version 1.00 which was already loaded in the camera from the factory.  I did actually run into another issue about a month back where saving a photo to a new SanDisk Ultra - (U3, C10, V10 - more than sufficient for the HERO 2018), caused the camera to freeze "SAVING" -  which "seemed" to be corrected by formatting the SD card in the HERO 2018.  

At support's recommendation I "updated" the firmware using the manual mode (copy the UPDATE folder from the update.zip, to the SD card root and restart the camera.

That seemed to address the audio issue, and I have not seen the "SAVING freeze" appear since.

I have tested the camera both on and off the gimbal recording hours of video, skimming through it to check the audio track and no issues - after all a GoPro that doesn't work in mounts or a stabilizer gimbal isn't an option. ;)

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @swiftoasis03323

Thanks for posting back.

Glad to hear that the manual update corrected the issues.

To consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with your camera. See list of recommended SD cards.

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Regards,

Ej