Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

New Gopro 8 dies when you start recording in cold weather

Taking my new GOPRO 8 skiing about recording about 15 minutes over 1 hour the camera completely dies when you start recording. I think the ambient temperature was about -10c. The battery had to be removed before it will restart but that doesn't solve the problem. the battery percentage was 64% when you press the top button to start recording it dies. This continued to happen after 20 minutes indoors. I have just recharged it back to 100% and it is a) warm b) working. 

Solutions mr Gopro?

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: New Gopro 8 dies when you start recording in cold weather

I use Rc products , one is called a Keychain camera i keep it in my pocket,  until I am ready to record, I don;t keep it out i nthe cold and expect it to work at all, b/c it  is a Lipo that I know will fail on 40 degree ferientheit days.  so my suggestion is   pocket to ready to use.

Highlighted
Tourist

I know tech doesn't like cold weather and that general battery life is less. I have my gopro attached to an extended 1.5 metre pole so it can't live in my pocket. However these tsame emperatures are no problem for my Gopro 7 black.

Reduced battery lift is one thing. a non functioning camera is another.

Highlighted
Adventurer

so maybe gopro  needs to tweak the tempature sensor,    Ifi take my Apple phone out  lay it in the Het, or cold it will  say no thinaks I am not working.  so thart I understand   to keep it warm or cool. not an option,  then its not the camera for  some.

Highlighted
Tourist

if they gave a warning that the temperature was below recommended then i would understand. To turn on with a 100% (genuine) battery and then immediately die when you press the record button is something else.

i can only presume that my unit is faulty..

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same problem. Anyone got an answer from gopro here?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @rophin,

Please warm up your camera indoor before using it outside. 

It would be best to have a spare battery since the battery performance will be decreased. 

If you have a case for your camera that would be much better since the case will prolong or keep the heat. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi. This is an action camera. It's ment for outside use! You take it outside when you go for in example skitouring, sometimes for many hours. It's impossible to keep this warm.