Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: New Gopro 5 Black massive background noise, defective device?

You can say stop recording to start as well stop,  It is listening but    it is not going to work in loud areas .   you can opt for a Remo, but first you'll have to figure out if its  cam or  just noise.

Highlighted
Hiker

So today I played around a bit with the cam. It is not getting any better. Voice command is still not working when all mics are on and the noise is like an old analog amplifier or radio with a faulty and worn potentiometer.

The sample video was shot again in a quite room, far from any electric or audio interference. The camera was placed on a solid surface, and left alone making the video. As you can hear there is still a lot of noise. You can also barely hear my voice when I tried to tell the camera to stop recording.

https://youtu.be/xwwoSXO3uEs

I think I will bring the camera back or ask for a replacement. This is definitely not what I paid for. This is a shame. This never happened any of my Canon gear. I think Gopro should pay more attention to quality control of their production. This is not the price range where customers accept such failures.

Thank you guys for help, I will keep you informed.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Adventurer

@toughstorm8861 wrote:

So today I played around a bit with the cam. It is not getting any better. Voice command is still not working when all mics are on and the noise is like an old analog amplifier or radio with a faulty and worn potentiometer.

The sample video was shot again in a quite room, far from any electric or audio interference. The camera was placed on a solid surface, and left alone making the video. As you can hear there is still a lot of noise. You can also barely hear my voice when I tried to tell the camera to stop recording.

https://youtu.be/xwwoSXO3uEs

I think I will bring the camera back or ask for a replacement. This is definitely not what I paid for. This is a shame. This never happened any of my Canon gear. I think Gopro should pay more attention to quality control of their production. This is not the price range where customers accept such failures.

Thank you guys for help, I will keep you informed.

Agree rather try to  work it out you did your best.  it is a defect a issue  and will not be corrected by any update at all. you will need to return it to where gotten from then  wait for gopro to help out, and please do report back agai nwith an update to the neew model and you'll be with a giant smile ear to ear.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,

so the replacement camera arrived, exchanged by the distributor. Voice command is working even with stereo setting, recorded sound is also a lot better. So far so good. Now the battery is charging so detailed test will follow later.

This one seems to come from another and maybe from a newer production branch (CHDHX-502 vs 501). The box is slightly different, and the text on the box shows (C) 2017 instead of 2016. I don't know if anything beyond the box was changed from 501.

Highlighted
Adventurer

great news, happy you're happy.  glad you stuck with it  enjoy the cam cuddles

Highlighted
Hiker