Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

New Gopro 5 Black massive background noise, defective device?

Hi there,

just got my new Gopro5 but when I turned voice command on, it did not work at all. After taking some sample videos and watching them back I was shocked about the massive background noise. I tried stereo only setting, even without "The Frame", as well as updating the firmware, but nothing changed. The camera is just useless. Come on, is the GoPro quality?!

Here is a sample video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IusY4QJtb-U

I don't think this is normal.

What do you think?

Peter

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: New Gopro 5 Black massive background noise, defective device?

It does sound as if the db is too high, but your example footage is not exactly the most ideal environment. Electronic devices near other electronic devices... I'm not saying you can't use your Hero this way, but it might be picking up static noise.

If you take your camera outside and test it like @fishycomics suggest we might get a better idea if the camera is working properly.

Also, by having the mic set to stereo only, you are using all of the mics, thereby increasing the likelihood of picking up the static noise. Wind reduction reduces the number of mics and might be better suited for the environment you chose.

Make sure your media port door (the side door) is properly attached and closed and test again using auto and wind reduction.

If the issue persist in your test indoors and out, you might have a faulty mic. If so, either exchange your camera where you purchased it, and/or contact the GoPro Support Team. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

What works for me is you going out htere  standing 6 feet from the cam and saying test one two three.  what I am saying is nothing is happening and you haveto have    sound to get sound. try to go out  shoot  everyday stuff even if it is just scenery and  report back. keep  the door closed keep on wind only and it should be   the best you'll get.

Highlighted
Hiker

I think the noise level on the video is far beyond acceptable range. It is so loud I barely hear anything else. I could not even get voice command working... I watched a lot of videos dealing with noise issues, but none of them was so intensive like this is.

Highlighted
Explorer

It does sound as if the db is too high, but your example footage is not exactly the most ideal environment. Electronic devices near other electronic devices... I'm not saying you can't use your Hero this way, but it might be picking up static noise.

If you take your camera outside and test it like @fishycomics suggest we might get a better idea if the camera is working properly.

Also, by having the mic set to stereo only, you are using all of the mics, thereby increasing the likelihood of picking up the static noise. Wind reduction reduces the number of mics and might be better suited for the environment you chose.

Make sure your media port door (the side door) is properly attached and closed and test again using auto and wind reduction.

If the issue persist in your test indoors and out, you might have a faulty mic. If so, either exchange your camera where you purchased it, and/or contact the GoPro Support Team. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus
Highlighted
Adventurer

no hand movements holding hte camera  as that will   enhance any camera mics to blown out sounds even on the Hero 5 session I shot today it can be heard.

Dan said iwhat yuo shoulddo but  electronics woul not intefere I am   on top of some as I wait for a video and  sounds awesome. 

Highlighted
Hiker

By changing to wind reduction voice command is working and noise is at moderate level, but set back to auto or stereo the excessive noise is back and the camera does not listen to voice commands anymore. I will go and make some sample videos out there.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Understood .  the voice command :  you're saying with it on you're not getting    excellent sound results at all.

Highlighted
Hiker

I assume the camera is using the same audio stream for listening voice commands which is actually recorded. So when all of the mics are turned on and the stream is getting too noisy, it simply fails to recognize the commands, so this is another negative effect of audio issue of a most likely faulty hardware.