Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

New GoPro Session 4 - Corrupted all files from random point including my proposal!

Hello All,

I bought a Hero Session 4 before going on holiday to Croatia with my girlfriend. 

I recorded everything and the first day of videos recorded fine. However, videos soon after that (for next 6 days) seem to be all corrupted. These include the proposal I recorded to my now fiance and a time lapse of the sun setting over Dubrovnik...! Absolutely gutted, as is my fiance. 

The gopro not at any point said he couldnt record, the time was recording and there is recognition of the videos files on the card, but the duration metadata is missing. 

I've never had this problem with my much cheaper Rollei action camera. I'm absolutely gutted and if the gopro told me this then i would've recorded everything on my other cheaper camera. There are moments on that camera that I hoped we could relive forever but are now just memories. 

I've read posts about refomatting cards etc, but how can i trust the gopro won't do this again, even if cards fault if it's not going to tell me? I'm getting nervous about using again moments that cna only be captured once. 

Any advice on how to recover to files, or how to know if the files are not going to be recorded properly would be great. 

Many thanks

Nick

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: New GoPro Session 4 - Corrupted all files from random point including my proposal!

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost footage. I don't know of any recovery programs to recommend, but there are many out there to try. I suggest asking the manufacturer of the SD card that you are using.

To enure you get the best usage from your camera,  go to the update link on the front page of support and manually update your camera. Also, make sure that you are using one of these cards. https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

And that you format the card periodically.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: New GoPro Session 4 - Corrupted all files from random point including my proposal!

hey so sorry that happenned. at this point im waiting for GoPro to do an official recall on the Sessions 4 Camera.  I have 4 of them (!) and all of them do not work.

1 Camera consistently overheats after 5 minutes of filming and shuts down

2 Cameras have un responsive Go Pro OS (wifi rear button does not work and is unresponsive so they are trash)

1 Other camera will record but after shutter button is depressed it creates a corrupted file.

I would recommend you RMA your camera or ask for your money back from Go Pro. Furthermore thanks for posting so now I know that I'm not the only one with the corruption proble .

The sessions 4 camera is horrible, Go  Pro shouldnt have released it as it is buggy as hell and not a good investment.

Like I said usually a good company would recall their products knowing they have serious hardware / firmware issues.

I'm beyond disappointed Go Pro hasnt done that yet, these cameras are trash and not like any other actions cams I have from other brands and Go Pro themselves. The sessions 4 stand as a lemon produt IMHO that should be voluntarily recalled by Go Pro.

That being said about your video, I would take it to a photo shop / digital videographer as they have tools that maybe able to extract the files, they run into this (rarely) when they shoot wedding videos etc. Second you can try a data recovery company (google ssd data recovery) which may cost $200-$500 but if they only charge you upon successful extration that would work. Lastly a white hat hacker could do the job to help you but thats a stretch. good luck and sorry youhad that problem again, belive me it was the CAMERA it wasnt you...

Highlighted
Explorer

Wow, complete opposite experience than what I've had. I love the durability and dependability of my Session. I surf and the Session is one of the most popular cameras among the other surfers in the water.

I also have several friends and family members that own the Session (Hero4). Not one of them, or myself, have issues with the Session. It is also the least likely to be mentioned in this support community (aside from settings request).

The rear button is not a WiFi button but power/mode. Granted, it is used to navigate to the connection settings, so I'm guessing this is what you meant.

Overheating - usually related to SD card issue.

Unresponsive - usually related to SD card issue.

Corrupt files - usually related to SD card issue.

Do NOT use SanDisk Ultra and if possible, only use cards from the recommended list (see my post above). Personally, I avoid SanDisk altogether and only use Samsung Pro and Lexar 1000x and 633x.

I have had my Hero4 Session for two years now. It has been used by myself and my kids extensively and has yet to give my any problems. Surf, snow, skate, and even being dropped off a cliff it still works great.

I'm not trying to diminish your experience, but I think another perspective is warranted. If Session was such a lemon product, it wouldn't have made sense for GoPro to continue manufacturing and selling them when the Hero5 lineup came out. All cameras come with a 30-day money back guarantee and a one year warranty. It wouldn't be cost effective to keep putting out a camera that is universally defective.

The Session has been out for two years and you are just now finding another user with a similar problem?

Yes, it is extremely unlucky to get four cameras with issues, but it is hardly the norm. Additionally, it's odd that only two of the four share the same issue. If there were a universal problem with the camera, that same issue should manifest on all four cameras, don't you think?

If a solution to the problem cannot be found here, I agree, the user should contact the Support Team. If they are unable to resolve the issue, a RMA will be created and an exchange given. I'm not sure why you did not take these steps with your four cameras. Perhaps the issues did not appear until after a year?
Highlighted
Adventurer

@schnick18 wrote:

Hello All,

I bought a Hero Session 4 before going on holiday to Croatia with my girlfriend. 

I recorded everything and the first day of videos recorded fine. However, videos soon after that (for next 6 days) seem to be all corrupted. These include the proposal I recorded to my now fiance and a time lapse of the sun setting over Dubrovnik...! Absolutely gutted, as is my fiance. 

The gopro not at any point said he couldnt record, the time was recording and there is recognition of the videos files on the card, but the duration metadata is missing. 

I've never had this problem with my much cheaper Rollei action camera. I'm absolutely gutted and if the gopro told me this then i would've recorded everything on my other cheaper camera. There are moments on that camera that I hoped we could relive forever but are now just memories. 

I've read posts about refomatting cards etc, but how can i trust the gopro won't do this again, even if cards fault if it's not going to tell me? I'm getting nervous about using again moments that cna only be captured once. 

Any advice on how to recover to files, or how to know if the files are not going to be recorded properly would be great. 

Many thanks

Nick

Nick So sorry for the lost moments. hardware/software, camera gave out new I understand htat  things happen and its more and more no its randomally  and it can happen at the worst times  Mine happen when I was at the heart of my trip,  I at least grabbed a back up camera. but  like you said you did not know till later down the road and that part  gopro must be contacted and told, call up for a return, nothing we can do but say sorry it happened   we love to help.   

Have you tried a paid services for one file  see  what they will charge, if a header needs written you can try or load up  in any free software, a recovery one , have you?

htt p://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5

It's free 50% can  get  fixed if it can not then  you know your answer.

Highlighted
Tourist

hi danielr15 -

wow, thats great, can we exchange cameras? Because all the Sessions I have have issues. It's really a super problematic action cam (Sessions 4). Can't speak for the 5, but I got 4 and I have a friend who bought a few of them , same or similar issues. In fact, he doesnt even use them anymore they are in the "unusable action cam box" he just told me. And they are all basically brand new.

It's all a firmware issue. Either the internal OS just isnt stable enough, or the hardware is lemon-y. I have not had any action Cam fail on me or freeze on me or fail to want to connect to wifi for me than the Go Pro Hero Sessions 4. I have to be bluntly honest here. Yes it took me a while to hit the forums and be vocal about it, but thats the truth, and if you want me to make you a youtube video about it and put the 4 cameras side by side and show you all the issues, I would be glad to. This camera, simply, honestly HAS ISSUES. Firmware or hardware i do not know, but it has serious issues v02.00 is NOT STABLE on all 4 of my cameras. and its beyond frustrating.

I understand you trying to blame everything on the SD cards but thats bollocks, I can put any of these SD cards in any action cam out there and it would have no issues whatsover. I don't even feel thats fair that you have the audacity to blame the SD cards for all the Sessions 4 Shortcomings and product problems. The performance on this Sessions 4 is abysmal. Laggy, buggy, total failure of a cam.

Right now my friend is over here and I have a FIFTH Go Pro sessions 4 Camera, guess what his is stuck in a loop where it just beeps and tries to take a video, flashes the red, then turns off and reboots itself. It wont stop beeing and rebooting itself until you reset it witht the red button or its battery dies from itself trying to recover reboot. To say the Sessions 4 doesnt have widespread issues would be a joke at this point. To blame the SD cards for all the product problems is laughable at the least, simply untrue at the most.

you bet I'm going to begin RMAs on these as none of these are over a year. I just felt bad about this guy who lost his proposal videos. you and everyone at Go Pro should feel bad about it, too...

Highlighted
Explorer

Sorry, I just don't believe a word that you are writing. Just today you and your friend figure it out that you should ask for an RMA even though you are clearly informed of the process to do so. Clearly these are not new cameras to you as you were looking to get an RMA and not a refund. I'm not looking to get into an argument with you, Perhaps it is all as you say it is. I am very active on this and other GoPro camera forums and I happen to know that the problems that you were describing are most certainly not the norm.

I have no idea why you think that I personally should feel bad about the lost footage, but I am empathetic. I spend a considerable amount of time on this forum trying to help people because I do care.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hello guys

I didn't mean to cause any animosity. The GoPro product is great, I'm just frustrated by what happened whether it's the GoPro or SD card who knows but I've never had this before and I've lost a big life moment that I only intend on doing once! (We'll see how that pans out ;p)

Appreciate the advice and guidance. I've tried file recovery firms and they couldn't save the sample.

More concerned about preventing it happening again!

I don't want to cause any hostility so please go easy on one another, no Ines being unsympathetic, my own issue unfortunately! Hope you guys solve the ones you're having.