Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

New GoPro Hero 8 Features Announced!

[ New ]

Well done GoPro! For those that missed it, GoPro Labs are now letting GoPro Hero 8 users add new features to their camera's. These are things that GoPro engineer's were playing about with and thought they may add value to the camera. They may see an official release they may not, but GoPro are letting you play about with some of these features! These include the ability for your camera to read programmable QR codes that unlock several new features. Add a custom message to your GoPro startup screen (So owner information, phone, email could be added). Add a custom timelapse. How about a timelapse that is programmed to come on at a certain time of day, lets say, 5pm in two days time? Motion detection! To find out more about this awesome set of features visit the GoPro labs today!

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-labs-launch 

Adventurer

Re: New GoPro Hero 8 Features Announced!

[ New ]

lol   finally we are going to be 12gb chaptering  Fw 1.70 soon to come , wake me up when this happens.   to bad you posted in a support forum that Users have issues Lol

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro Labs firmware is  in here  took me some time to follwo, they say their Daughter had no issue doing this.

https://gopro.com/en/us/support/hero8-black-product-update

Hiker

[ New ]

Sehr enttäuschend. Während die Kunden mit Unzulänglichkeiten leben müssen (hey wir haben euch Geld gegeben, damit wir ein tolles Produkt bekommen!), wie

• instabiles WLAN
  • Selbstentladung
  • Überhitzen und Einfrieren
  • Kein Starten / Stoppen
  • Startet von selbst
  • Kein Laden möglich
  • Unzureichende Verbindung zur Fernbedienung
  • usw.

spielt ihr im Labor mit Kinderkram. Wir wollen eine Actioncam, kein Spielzeug. Schickt mir einen Entwickler (oder besser noch den PO) hier her und dann fahren wir zusammen Motorrad. Vielleicht versteht er dann, was Aktion heißt. 

Toll, QRCode lesen. Meine Anschrift in der Kamera eintragen. Super. Das alles hilft mir beim Tauchen auch nicht. Korrigiert die Fehler, sprecht endlich mit euren Kunden (hey Product Owner, das ist dein Job) und gebt uns eine Cam die nur dann Aufmerksamkeit braucht, wenn der Akku leer ist.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Glad I was not the One that said that @ralfpeter   .  Funny how a daughter of no age  got this to work,  I wonder if their Baby  put together the articals that direct you to  different  pages all scattered on here. And Our Fanboys or Fan girls Defending them.  Time for real giant cup of Java/Coffe/joe.

Day one people asked, demanded, said, wanted, told, etc.. and we heard  we'll pass it along to our teams.  Many complained about file chapter. and still to date  they  do file chapters instead of being 2gb, 4b it will be 12gb again no mention at all if the 4k resolution, or any the time, so it is a guess (for me) to say 24 minutes video 12gb file. 

For the past few yars the Xiaomi/Yi Technology used QR in tehir Livestream, some may like it, some may hate it, can you please all, No!.  Thir Livestream steps were at least 15  prompts before you even got on correctly., at least  with GoPro its a lot easier over the  years they took to correct it again.

We are going to Update to Gopro labs, and when you do update, I have no clue why "Two  file folders of firmware are present. while they say to follow step 2. and on. BTW people here vaigly put up images of issues, etc, while the most powerful tools are at hand, theirfault.

So with no explaination or not cafinated enough, what  I get out of it is Confusion, trying to figure how a daughter did this. Kids are smart.

Untitled.png

Here comes a Fanboy to the Rescue,  here he comes.

So wheredo you find gopro's info:

Step 1. https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-labs-launch

read it, click the first Hyperlink you see  https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/ct-p/GoProLabs  start reading it, Click the getstarted photo,  https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173  start reading tha, and where it says  click the firmware, opens up FW HD8.01.01.70.75 zip folder for download.  By no you get the idea waht to do, you have to read, skip, jump, more or less act like a Monkey rub your head,  , pat your tummy, or vica-verca. once you figured out how to get there. what  does the picphonics do for you in the step 2.  especially when  this is not Win-10, no mention at all of th O.S (for me).  

Untitled.png

So this is one Perfect example if asked, release products, use old stuff to simply rush  out to the  site,  We are not going to  or better yet any one out thre that Loads this up will now Be subject to  not Downgrading,  something that one may or may not want. the idea of not being able t odisable, or any info in Full correctly, is a member being that Gunia Pig. I bet GoPro  gave this out to tehir previous  youtubers to test. and I wonder  myself If  Iwant to advance the steps and fail like a Go-Pro. I wasted  an hour of my life writing this so the post can fall like a  Karma drone, failure at its best. take it as It's My Humble opinion, not yours and what  Iwrite and share here is  helpful info then try brainwashing people with gopro never has a issue, I can't replicate it.. today we're about helping not Punning

to be continued .  

WAH wah webcam , webcam,  wah wah Hero 7 as a hero 8,,  all these features every single one, will be on the Hero 9 coming out in Sept/Oct 2020 . and be the first to test it on your hero 8.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh I am that Gulia pig and here I am now addresing to gopro.   tell me my steps I am doing wrong

Adventurer

[ New ]

Got this to work. Lol.  Like said  got to  love it.  time to learn a whole new camera.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I also gotten to hate it as I g et the BLANK SCREEN of DEATH!.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Can not wait for the Hero 7 users to say where's ours.

Nomad

[ New ]

Firmware 1.7 successfully installed ... and how do I get the announced new features - only with a QR code?
Where can you find the required QR codes?

Adventurer

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]
Thank you - Found! Works ...
Would be great if the QR Creator is integrated into the GoPro APP.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Agree.     some of these features like Medium view could have been added to the actual camera but I guess this i the way we  can substitute out  certain features..   I got a time set up,  for tonight will see how it works.

Adventurer

[ New ]

this AM I set to turn on and record at 18:00  I did not think I correctly set to shut down, and may have walked in on it as it just finished recording,  the good thing is I was at 88% battery cap. when completed I was at 80%, recorded 5 minutes would have used up to 8% while stopped,  I am satasfied taht  the 6 hours it was off it used ZERO %.  if I do take thetime, the next  scheduled I will simply set up for a week and see if it drains any?

Tourist

[ New ]

Great... NOT.  Updated. Started up.  Camera shuts down. Won't restart.. Wonderful feature set.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @shawng72. does your camera still show any indication of power? If so, try the firmware update again after fully charging the battery. Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

[ New ]

This was painful. I had to load the new firmware 3x but finally got it to work. The battery was fully charged (I have 2 batteries, both were fully charged). It would hang after loading and show a blank/blackish rear screen for 5+ minutes until I got it to shutdown. Also after restart the battery would show that it had no/little charge, but then if the battery was pulled and put back in it showed the battery almost fully charged. So something in the update was keeping the unit from recognizing the battery status.

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello, @shawng72. does your camera still show any indication of power? If so, try the firmware update again after fully charging the battery. Let us know how it works out. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Weird, I loaded it on two of my camera's with no issue whatsoever.  From what I've read here over the past few months, a lot of the firmware update issues can be caused by the SD card. 

My take on it is this:  Usually when there is a read/write error on your card, that section of the card kinda has a virtual "X" placed beside it telling the O/S using it "Don't write to this section, it's bad".  The card then goes on and (hopefully) acts as normal.  However the bad section is still there, it is actually like a speed bump on a road and can lead to more and more write errors (with more virtual "X"'s beside them).  Eventually this will lead to SD card errors, camera crashes/freezes/lock ups.  I suspect that when there are errors on the card, even if it seems to be functioning properly, for some reason, this affects the firmware update.  Perhaps when the camera is trying to boot and load the firmware, it's able to read files that have been written with a segregation in them (due to the virtual "X").  

When you format the SD card in your camera, all it does is a "Quick Format" it seems, so it deletes the data on it but those sections with the virtual "X", get ignored.  I've had both my GP2 and GP4's lock up, shut down or just refuse to record video even after formatting the card in the camera.  However when I put the SD card in a PC and ran a disk check, bad sectors were found and repaired.  Then after putting the cards back in the camera's and formatting again in the camera, just like magic, the GoPro's were fully working again.

So this is probably why it's recommended that when you go and do a firmware update, you use a formatted card.  Even if the card is brand new, you don't know what happened to it at the factory where it was made and it should still be checked and formatted first.

As for the battery issue, GoPro recommend that you use the specific GP8 batteries with the GP8 camera.  That's all well and good but when I got both my GP8's, the only batteries I had were the GP8 batteries..... and on both GoPro's I kept getting the message regarding the battery not being recognized, use an original GoPro battery... or whatever the message is (it's been that long since I've seen it).  I just hit the "Don't display again" message and haven't had any battery issues.  

A drained or nearly empty battery will only stop the firmware update via your mobile device as the app will tell you your battery is too low to continue.  However when do a manual update via the SD card, the boot file is already written and your camera doesn't really have a choice in the matter.  

The fact that your battery showed fully charged, then drained, then fully charged again..............  ok, that one is just bizzare.  I'm wondering what would have happened if you had tried the firmware update with the camera plugged into an external power source.  Anyway, seems that you got things working and that's the main thing.  I'm still trying out the extended time lapses and the automatic date adjustable power on timers.....  Frankly, I don't have that much use for them but they are still fun to play around with.  IF I had a 3rd GoPro Hero 8, I'd probably set it aside to do a years worth of sunrises and sunsets in timelapse, now THAT would be freaking awesome...

Tourist

[ New ]

All original brand new OEM GoPro Batteries. Faulty batteries? Who knows. I hope not since they were brand new with the camera. Batteries were fully charged prior to update.

Card was recently formatted on the PC prior to loading the update files, I make a habit of reformatting all my SD Cards periodically. Card came free with my Hero8 purchase.

I have only had problems one time with my Hero3+ on a reboot after updating. My Hero Session has been rock solid after all updates.

This is "GoPro Labs" Beta firmware... so there is that..... 

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Weird, I loaded it on two of my camera's with no issue whatsoever.  From what I've read here over the past few months, a lot of the firmware update issues can be caused by the SD card. 

My take on it is this:  Usually when there is a read/write error on your card, that section of the card kinda has a virtual "X" placed beside it telling the O/S using it "Don't write to this section, it's bad".  The card then goes on and (hopefully) acts as normal.  However the bad section is still there, it is actually like a speed bump on a road and can lead to more and more write errors (with more virtual "X"'s beside them).  Eventually this will lead to SD card errors, camera crashes/freezes/lock ups.  I suspect that when there are errors on the card, even if it seems to be functioning properly, for some reason, this affects the firmware update.  Perhaps when the camera is trying to boot and load the firmware, it's able to read files that have been written with a segregation in them (due to the virtual "X").  

When you format the SD card in your camera, all it does is a "Quick Format" it seems, so it deletes the data on it but those sections with the virtual "X", get ignored.  I've had both my GP2 and GP4's lock up, shut down or just refuse to record video even after formatting the card in the camera.  However when I put the SD card in a PC and ran a disk check, bad sectors were found and repaired.  Then after putting the cards back in the camera's and formatting again in the camera, just like magic, the GoPro's were fully working again.

So this is probably why it's recommended that when you go and do a firmware update, you use a formatted card.  Even if the card is brand new, you don't know what happened to it at the factory where it was made and it should still be checked and formatted first.

As for the battery issue, GoPro recommend that you use the specific GP8 batteries with the GP8 camera.  That's all well and good but when I got both my GP8's, the only batteries I had were the GP8 batteries..... and on both GoPro's I kept getting the message regarding the battery not being recognized, use an original GoPro battery... or whatever the message is (it's been that long since I've seen it).  I just hit the "Don't display again" message and haven't had any battery issues.  

A drained or nearly empty battery will only stop the firmware update via your mobile device as the app will tell you your battery is too low to continue.  However when do a manual update via the SD card, the boot file is already written and your camera doesn't really have a choice in the matter.  

The fact that your battery showed fully charged, then drained, then fully charged again..............  ok, that one is just bizzare.  I'm wondering what would have happened if you had tried the firmware update with the camera plugged into an external power source.  Anyway, seems that you got things working and that's the main thing.  I'm still trying out the extended time lapses and the automatic date adjustable power on timers.....  Frankly, I don't have that much use for them but they are still fun to play around with.  IF I had a 3rd GoPro Hero 8, I'd probably set it aside to do a years worth of sunrises and sunsets in timelapse, now THAT would be freaking awesome...

Adventurer

[ New ]

Glad you got it to work. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Anything is possible at this stage, sounds like you did everything right but would love to know what the heck happened though.

Anyway, enjoy and have fun with the new features.  Post back here if you notice anything abnormal happening with the camera.