Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: New GoPro HERO5 Firmware Update!!

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this firmware update supposed to take longer than 30 minutes or something ? it's like stuck and the small screen next to the lens has a "!" (exclamation mark)

The new update takes about 10 minutes for me. The ! is not a good thing. 

The best thing for you is to update it manually. Download the update to your Microsd card and put it back into your GoPro.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I too have the exclamation mark. Tried putting update on SD card but no luck. As soon as battery is put back in, the GoPro is live with flashing red lights and the exclamation mark on the screen. No response from the buttons. Is there any way to reset the camera?

Highlighted
Anonymous

If you are updating to 1.55 and are using no original battery is possible.

The other day I tried to update the firmware 1.50 to 1.55 via SD card, using a non-original battery, but without results. only after I put the original battery the update was successful

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah, i havaing the same issue. So Fu*king Angry, Im going on holidays soon and need this fixed, Any luck fixing this yet ?

Highlighted
Explorer

This isn't going to be "fixed" as GoPro actually fixed the problem that was allowing non-GoPro batteries to function in the Hero5 cameras. Apparently there were some issues with non-GoPro batteries and their use and subsequent damage to the cameras was voiding warranty. Original GoPro batteries are only $19.99 and the recording times in the Hero5 are much improved so I don't really see the need in using cheap knock off brands.
Highlighted
Explorer

If you are using an original battery and still having issues, it might be your SD card. Of course, only use a recommended SD card (found on the front page of support as, "Micro SD card considerations") https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations
I recommend Samsung Pro and Lexar from this list as it appears some Sandisk are causing issues with Hero5.
If you have a recommended card, try doing a full format in your computer ( not quick) and leave the SD card name blank. Then download and install the manual update. The update does work, I just did it the other day, so if you're having issues it's most likely the SD card (or battery if you're using a non-GoPro battery).
If after trying the above the update still hangs, contact GoPro customer service. The link is on the front page of support under, "contact sales and support".
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah this lockout of 3rd party batteries is ridiculous....I own many, many high-end camera/video devices and use many types of 3rd party batteries without issues.  I highly doubt this is to provide camera "protection" but more like a planned move to limit end-users choices and build company revenue.  If this is not true why else would this not be announced as a firmware "improvement" rather than a hidden change to bleep off many many users? Way to go GoPro!

Highlighted
Anonymous

i was having the same problem i just formatted my sd card and it updated seamlessly after that